Author Topic: Advice for New UXV 450i Owner?  (Read 3257 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Advice for New UXV 450i Owner?
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:00:33 PM »
Hey folks, I was just out at a local dealer this past weekend and purchased a 2018 UXV 450i base model. ;D They had a couple units (a red, a blue and a Prime edition) out on the showroom floor and another red and an LE that was still in the back in the crate. I test drove one of the units they had out front (a blue base model) and decided to purchase the red one in the back, because they had already set the red unit on the floor up with a winch, windshield and plow kit. So, I'll be headed back this Saturday to pick up the unit. I am pretty excited!

First off, I want to thank you guys on the forum for helping me make my decision to give the KYMCO a try. I was in the market for a smaller side-by-side for hunting, some recreational use and chores around the property and plowing snow in the winter. My requirements going in were pretty simple: had to be a compact unit (less than 60 inches total width) that would fit on my 6x8 utility trailer; had to have a useful dump bed and respectable towing capacity; had to have enough off-road capability to have some fun; and had to be a decent "value" for the price. Going in, I honestly figured I'd end up with a Kawasaki Mule SX 4x4 XC SE. There's no doubt that's a solid unit, and if you haggle some, you can get your hands on one for not too much more than you'd pay for the Kymco. But, in the end, I just decided the 25 mph top speed on the Mule SX was a deal breaker. Between that and the relatively meager off-road capability, I just wasn't sure the Mule SX would check the "fun" box for me -- even though I am positive it would be a bullet-proof machine.

I really didn't know anything about the Kymco when I started shopping, but after seeing some good reviews of the UXV 450i from the off-road websites and then discovering this forum, I decided to give the Kymco units a hard look. Then, in a stroke of good timing, Kymco launched its free extended warranty program for leftover 2017 and 2018 units on March 1 that is giving me a 36-month extended warranty, on top of the standard 12-month factory warranty. So, all in all, I am getting four years of warranty coverage on this machine, which really helped me make my decision. The local dealer also marked the base units down to $7,600, and I was able to haggle down a little more and got the unit for $7,400. I thought that was a pretty good price for a brand new unit with FOUR YEARS of warranty coverage - I know the cost of the three-year extended warranty alone is over $500. I've seen some base model units listed for a little less (mainly down South), but I don't think it was a bad price by any means. Bottom line, I had a budget of about $8,000 out the door, and I was able to do that with tax and state title/registration fees included. So, all in all, I was pretty happy. The best price I had negotiated on a Kawasaki Mule SX XC SE (the top trim level) was $8,387. Let's assume I could have gotten it for $8,000 -- you'd still have to add tax, title and registration to that and I am not sure at the end of the day it is as capable a machine as the UXV 450i. The dealer also tried to sell me on some accessories, but I passed. It just seemed like the value was in the base machine, and when you factored in what they wanted to charge for the add-ons and installation, it was really just padding their bottom line for a lot more than I can add those things myself once I get the machine home.

Now, for some advice from you guys. When I test drove the unit last weekend, the machine ran fine under power. It had good power and the steering was smooth. But if you just sat in the machine idling, it would sometimes stall. This probably happened four or five times. I wasn't that concerned, because I knew the machine had been sitting around quite a bit, and the salesman said it is common problem with a show floor machine that just gets turned on and off regularly and not driven much, which he said fouls the plug. He also told me that the UXV 450i has a reputation for running a bit "rich" during the first 100 miles and that I would likely notice a much smoother engine after the break-in period. He also suggested that when I get the machine home and begin using it that I let the engine warm up for several minutes before driving. After starting, he said waiting until you hear the cooling fan come on for the first time is a good indicator that the engine is up to temperature.

So, for you guys out there who already own and use one of these units, does what this dealer told me make sense to you and match your experience with the machine? Based on everything I've read here, it seems most of you consider these machines to be reliable workhorses that can really take a licking and keep in ticking. And, based on your experiences, I am counting on the same! I know you're supposed to change the oil after the first 100 miles, per the owner's manual, but I was wondering if you have any other specific advice or things to watch out for as I begin using the machine. Obviously, I am excited to get it home and start riding, but I also want to get familiar with the machine and spend some time going over it and getting a good handle on how to properly maintain it. Any insights you guys can offer is appreciated. Thanks in advance, and I'll try to post some pictures one I get the machine home and put a little mud on the tires!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Advice for New UXV 450i Owner?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 02:07:38 AM »
Welcome to the family, hope you get as much enjoyment from your machine as I have mine.  Looks like you got a real good deal on that machine.  Mine stalls on ocassion until completely warmed up so no big deal.  They are strong little workhorses but take it easy, no wide open throttle until you get some miles on it. Vary your speed a lot to break in the belt. Change oil at 100 and again 300, after that you can switch to full synthetic oil. Keep us posted on how it works for you...

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 02:46:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice Airshot. When you say not to open up the throttle "until you get some miles on it," how many miles are you suggesting? One thing I know my boys will want to do it "see how fast she'll go." I have two sons, 13 and 15, so will need to curb their enthusiasm while I get the machine broken in.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 04:00:16 PM »
Most definetly take it easy, by the way she does 48mph wide open. No hard acceleration for first 100 miles, then you can pick up the pace a little, after 200 you could go hard but only short bursts. I wouldnt top it out until at least 250 and then only a quick burst.  Gotta get that cvt belt worn in correctly also ao keep speed varied for at least 100- 150 miles.  This gives you mire reason to go out ridin..." gotta get her broke in"

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »
If I let mine idle for a very long time, it will eventually stall.  I've made it a habit of turning it off when I get out to hook up a chain or trailer or other quick tasks
RandyO
IBA#9560

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 04:30:54 PM »
If I let mine idle for a very long time, it will eventually stall.  I've made it a habit of turning it off when I get out to hook up a chain or trailer or other quick tasks

Good to know that is common and not necessarily a cause for concern. Thanks for the advice! Along the same lines, how often do you guys change the spark plug in your machine, and with a new machine, do you think it's worthwhile to change the plug after the first couple hundred miles, just because the dealer said the engine tends to run "rich" during the break-in period?
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:29:32 AM »
Never changed my plug...yet.  Still original, I do carry a spare just in case. Always starts right up and runs great, uses less fuel than my friends 750 KQ atv, so no reason to change plug just yet

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 02:57:22 PM »
Never changed my plug...yet.  Still original, I do carry a spare just in case. Always starts right up and runs great, uses less fuel than my friends 750 KQ atv, so no reason to change plug just yet

Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what year is your machine? How many miles/hours do you have on it?
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 04:35:36 PM »
Had my machine since Jan 15 of 2015.  Around 1000 miles mabey a few more, have to look at the meter for hours. Never any real issues, shifting has always been notchy but quickly learned to make the shift a fraction of a sec before machine stops dead and leave in gear whenever possible. That just keeps me from fighting the notchy shifter.  Once I switched to full synthetic lubes the shifting became better. People need to understand this is not a sport machine so dont compare it to a rzr or a wikdcat etc.  Mine has served me well, no complaints and even get out to do some trail riding every so often.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »
I've had my 450i since late summer of 2015, I got it on a barter deal from my local dealer.  It is a workhorse, a little over 1600 miles, maybe 75 are recreational. During the week, miles are mostly  street miles, as a land surveyor, I use it to run cones & signs down the road as the field crew moves along, I also tow my 990 lb  http://www.oilyhands.co.uk/toehoe_muscleman_digger.htm    Weekends I'm out in the back yard using it as a tractor, pulling logs, or an Otter sled filled with bolt or stove length wood, either way, way exceeding the manufacturers 1500 lb tow capacity

It had taken a beating, and still works like new, maybe a 1-2 mph loss in top speed from belt wear....50mph it kinda scary in these things anyway
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:59:01 PM by randyo »
RandyO
IBA#9560

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
I've had my 450i since late summer of 2015, I got it on a barter deal from my local dealer.  It is a workhorse, a little over 1600 miles, maybe 75 are recreational. During the week, miles are mostly  street miles, as a land surveyor, I use it to run cones & signs down the road as the field crew moves along, I also tow my 990 lb  http://www.oilyhands.co.uk/toehoe_muscleman_digger.htm    Weekends I'm out in the back yard using it as a tractor, pulling logs, or an Otter sled filled with bolt or stove length wood, either way, way exceeding the manufacturers 1500 lb tow capacity

It had taken a beating, and still works like new, maybe a 1-2 mph loss in top speed from belt wear....50mph it kinda scary in these things anyway

I know that Kymco redesigned the shifter at some point, but not certain what model year. So, my machine may have a different shift mechanism than yours. When I did my test drive, I mentioned to the dealer that moving into different gears seemed a little finicky, and his reply was basically," You think that's bad? You should have see the old shifter. That thing was a real pain." One thing he did advise me is to basically not use the park feature on the shifter, particularly on hills, as it can be difficult to get the machine out of park. He advised simply leaving the machine in gear and using the manual parking break lever when not in use.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »
Yep your dealer is correct, but those of us with older machines we had to figure this stuff out on our own...By the way...we do need pictures or it reall hasn't happened!  LOL

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 09:09:26 PM »
Yep your dealer is correct, but those of us with older machines we had to figure this stuff out on our own...By the way...we do need pictures or it reall hasn't happened!  LOL

LOL! I just called the dealer today to make sure they had the machine all ready to go. My plan is to be there first thing Saturday morning to pick her up. So, unless some kind of disaster strikes, expect some photos soon!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

mstparker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 06:09:18 PM »
Mine is a 2015 450i. Only time I use park is when its on the trailer.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »
Mine is a 2015 450i. Only time I use park is when its on the trailer.
Pretty much the same here. I just leave it in R or H depending on which direction I will be heading next time out. By steping on the brake you can start in any gear and be ready to roll with little to no shifting.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()