Author Topic: No mirrors?  (Read 501 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
No mirrors?
« on: July 09, 2021, 07:27:59 AM »
I just happen to notice a lot of electric scooters running around the neighborhood,  none that I have seen had mirrors.  Is this normal for electric scooters?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

mousejunks

• View Profile
Re: No mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 08:25:28 AM »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 11:01:05 AM »
Spoils the aesthetic?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 02:10:43 PM »
You mean the kick scooters or this?: https://www.bmw-motorrad.com.au/en/experience/news/urban-mobility/definition-ce04.html.
Electric scooters like a moped for adults, and her daughters razor which is a small version of a moped.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 03:06:07 PM »
Spoils the aesthetic?
There was a youngster who rode in London on the Vespa forum who removed the mirrors from his new Vespa for aesthetic reasons. Big scooter shop in SoCal now sells custom color plugs for the empty mirror holes in the bodywork.
He said if he wants to see behind him he'll just turn around and look.
I cannot imagine riding one day in London traffic - threading thru stopped traffic with all those pedestrians crossing between the cars - while looking behind myself.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 04:49:19 PM »
There was a youngster who rode in London on the Vespa forum who removed the mirrors from his new Vespa for aesthetic reasons. Big scooter shop in SoCal now sells custom color plugs for the empty mirror holes in the bodywork.
He said if he wants to see behind him he'll just turn around and look.
I cannot imagine riding one day in London traffic - threading thru stopped traffic with all those pedestrians crossing between the cars - while looking behind myself.

Stig
My poor old body doesn't twist around like it use to, I can't imagine riding without mirrors. Changing lanes would be like a game of Russian roulette.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 05:01:31 PM »
choosing aesthetics over safety (and possibly your life!)
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 05:17:10 PM »
People riding bicycles don't have mirrors, even if they use their bikes to commute, or ride on major streets.  But I think any motorized vehicle, whether a moped or a 1500cc tourer, should have safety equipment standards, including mirrors.  IMHO, if the vehicle has to be registered and the rider/driver has to be licensed to operate the vehicle, for the safety of that person, and other riders on the road, mirrors should be a requirement.

Jeff

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 06:00:03 PM »
Jak 51- I see bicyclist all the time with a little tiny mirror mounted to there helmet . I thought it was a requirement for licensed vehicles to have a mirror?

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 07:12:33 PM »
Jak 51- I see bicyclist all the time with a little tiny mirror mounted to there helmet . I thought it was a requirement for licensed vehicles to have a mirror?

Unfortunately, there are a lot of adult bicyclists out there who don't wear helmets.  In my city, bicycle helmets are required for kids, but not adults.  I occasionally see the helmet mounted mirrors, but not often enough.  My wife and I ride our bikes around our neighborhood and we wear helmets, but don't have mirrors.  We'll probably rethink that.  I thought licensed vehicles needed mirrors also, so how can someone get away with removing them from their scoots?  I remember my first motorbike, a Honda 50 step through, had mirrors, and some of the mopeds that were popular in the 60's, while not requiring registration or plates, did come with mirrors.  And I remember thinking how cool I felt putting a mirror on the handlebar of my first "big boy" bicycle.  I think it was either a Huffy or Schwinn.  During college, I rode a ten-speed to school when I lived off campus, and I put a mirror on that bike as well.  But back then, there was no such thing as a bicycle helmet!

Jeff

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 09:30:59 PM »
Jak51- today at luch I seen 2 bicyclist in bicycle gear both with helmets and both helmets had mirrors on the helmet. They look just a little bit bigger then dental mirrors.  I could see where the mirrors might be a hazard on a child's bike unless they were made of rubber.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 12:04:09 PM »
Jak51- today at luch I seen 2 bicyclist in bicycle gear both with helmets and both helmets had mirrors on the helmet. They look just a little bit bigger then dental mirrors.  I could see where the mirrors might be a hazard on a child's bike unless they were made of rubber.
I tried to solve my Liberty's mirror problem with those bike mirrors on helmet. No go.
Solved the (winter only) issue by finding less bulky winter riding apparel. Couldn't see past my elbows in super thick layers.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 02:59:04 PM »
On my People GT 300i I went with bar end mirrors. More "aesthetically pleasing" (at least to me) and I can easily see past my shoulders now.
Current Ride: Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 08:06:41 PM »
On my People GT 300i I went with bar end mirrors. More "aesthetically pleasing" (at least to me) and I can easily see past my shoulders now.
One concern about bar ends is how far your eyes must go away from the road viewed above the headlight.
But better that, than no vision past the shoulders!
Stig
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:26:49 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()