Author Topic: Advise on kymco scooters  (Read 3558 times)

stoney

• View Profile
Advise on kymco scooters
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:02:01 AM »
Would a 50cc 4 stroke vp 50 suffice for street riding for a total passenger and myself weight of 150kg? How fast would it travel? I am looking at 30 - 50 km/h. The roads here are largely flat with the occasional slope.

With a 50cc and a laden weight of 150kg? Would the startup be really slow? Is there anyway to lower the gear ratio for torque?

Or should l get a 110 cc gp 110 4 stroke ? these are models sold in china where I am at the moment.

thanks

axy

• View Profile
Re: Advise on kymco scooters
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 09:32:12 AM »
Would a 50cc 4 stroke vp 50 suffice for street riding for a total passenger and myself weight of 150kg? How fast would it travel? I am looking at 30 - 50 km/h. The roads here are largely flat with the occasional slope.

With a 50cc and a laden weight of 150kg? Would the startup be really slow? Is there anyway to lower the gear ratio for torque?

Or should l get a 110 cc gp 110 4 stroke ? these are models sold in china where I am at the moment.

thanks

IMFO, insufficient and downright dangerous.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »
My wife and I had 50s and got bigger (150+) scoots to avoid blocking traffic all the time. I would NOT get any chinese scoot unless you can get a conex box of spares. Get a bigger bike like Kymco or Buddy (Genuine Scooter) from a dealer in your home country if there is where you plan to ride it the most. Most chinese scoots are "throwaways" unfortunately.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
If you are in China I would observe what the locals use most and imitate their preferences . Good luck .

stoney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »
Hi

I am an expat currently in china and the bike are kymco. I do not know why they are not listed elsewhere. vp 50 & gp110. I am not in my home country or I would have bought something like a downtown.

the locals here ride 300USD scooters. I was hoping for something a bit smoother but due to the licensing requirements, its better to stay at 50cc than 100 or more which will put it into another class where plates cost insanely high.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »
In that case I would try to get a 2 stroke rather than a 4 stroke for riding two up on a 50cc . Good luck .

stoney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 01:09:31 AM »
I cannot have a 2t because its noisy and fuel emmisions do not qualify. The engine sound would attract checks from the police.

They have 4T usually. With a 50cc and 150kg laden weight, is it not doable? I have not riden a 50cc bike before. Are they worst than electric scooters?

Would it travel 30 - 40 km /h with 150kg and how many seconds do you reckon it would take?

stoney

• View Profile

DoubleSC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 06:58:54 AM »
I cannot have a 2t because its noisy and fuel emmisions do not qualify. The engine sound would attract checks from the police.
C'mon - it's China - nothing that a red envelope stuffed with a few RenMinBi couldn't take care of. ;)

They have 4T usually. With a 50cc and 150kg laden weight, is it not doable? I have not riden a 50cc bike before. Are they worst than electric scooters?

Would it travel 30 - 40 km /h with 150kg and how many seconds do you reckon it would take?
I've ridden both a 50cc, 110cc, 125cc, and 150cc while in Taiwan.  50cc was just too weak for a 4T engine.  It accelerates fine up to 30 or 40, but that's about all it's really got.

The 110cc bike was my wife's -- it was this one (SYM): 
http://tw.sym-global.com/product/items_subcat_index.php?CA=1&sub_CA=54

It would accelerate to 70 km/h just as briskly as my 150cc.  Above 70 km/h, the 150 would continue to pull strong until around 85 km/h or so.  Both had higher top speeds of course, but I'd say that those speeds mentioned were their "usable range". 

So, in summary, despite the extra licensing requirements and cost, I'd still go with the 110cc.
Ask around - maybe one of your friends there already has a similar scoot that they'd be willing to let you try out.

Cheers,

DSC

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 10:35:49 PM »
"" I was hoping for something a bit smoother but due to the licensing requirements, its better to stay at 50cc than 100 or more which will put it into another class where plates cost insanely high.""

Not to be alarmist but get the biggest fastest bike you can afford because you are now responsible for two people not just yourself. A 50 cc is not fast enough to get away from trouble. I don't know how they drive in china but if it is anything like it is here in Indianapolis better to be safe than sorry. Besides, faster is more fun. But start out slow if you are new, and get a lot of experience before you start riding with a passenger behind you. Good luck. Let us know what model you get and the price you pay. And now you  can go shopping for a nice motorcycle jacket. How cool to be in a scooter friendly country! Always wear a good helmet!

stoney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 12:15:25 AM »
The ironic thing is that the 110 cost lesser at 6200+rmb    978.53 usd while the 50cc is 7200+.  1,136.36usd

The cyclist and electric bicycle riders here are reckless and they travel as fast in wet weather as they do in good weather. The road strips here and painted with normal paint so its very slippery when wet and I am always surprised at the way they can get away with that  doing a high speed turn. There are designated cyclist lanes and technically speaking the 50 cc bike is allowed to use it but not the 110cc. That was why I was thinking of going for a lower cc but I have not tried a 50cc before and shops dont allow test drive. It seems like its useless to go for a 50cc bike.

I cannot get a legal 110 plate here due to the cost so I have to ride ilegally.  Most of the riders that ride the larger bikes are illegal  because a plate cost 8,320.97usd and not many would buy one.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:24:26 AM by stoney »

jas67

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »
I cannot get a legal 110 plate here due to the cost so I have to ride ilegally.  Most of the riders that ride the larger bikes are illegal  because a plate cost 8,320.97usd and not many would buy one.

OMFG!!!!     $8320.97 to plate a bike bigger than 50cc !?!?!?!?

Is that an ANNUAL cost?

And I thought the US liked to use taxes to force, or at least modify certain behavior.

How 'bout a 50cc with a big bore kit?   Can you get a 110cc bike that looks like a 50cc and get away with plating it as a 50cc?    Our how 'bout an engine swap (can you even get things like bare engines in China -- sorry don't know much about what it is like to live there).

What city and province are you in?    I deal mostly with people in Shanghai, and my company hires drivers to drive our people around there.   None of them have their own means of transportation.
2007 People S 250
2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 03:11:37 AM »
I think the 50 is unsafe for 2 people. It's ok for very short trips though. Its slow and doesn't have reserve power. It's ok for one person. Who is your passenger? Wife? You can get 2 50s. It's safer and you'll have more mobility. I have a 125cc (Kymco Super 8) scoot that we use everyday. My wife is my passenger with a travel distance of around 50 kilometers a day. Super 8 is safe because (1) It has reserve power (2) Tires are big at 14" (3) Scoot is robust 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()