Author Topic: Stock Carb - Leaking coolant  (Read 1281 times)

Flyer23

• View Profile
Stock Carb - Leaking coolant
« on: November 22, 2022, 06:17:14 PM »
I have a friend who has been working on this for me since I'm not a 2 stroke person at all and know nothing about scooters. Previously someone I knew tried to get it running and messed up the carb, got a eBay special. Got it running and after a little bit started to starve for fuel at high RPM. Nothing he did made it work. Finally I just brought the scooter to the new guy to get running. He came highly recommended with 2 stroke knowledge. We got the new STOCK CARB installed, replaced the vacuum fuel petcock with a manual petcock. I think that may have been the issue with it running out of fuel at high RPM. So now we have a BRAND NEW CARB and manual petcock installed. He told me that coolant was leaking out of the carb. I think he may have the coolant line on the wrong place of the carb and should be a fuel line connection. The other question, is how do I know which nipple the coolant or the fuel goes on? Finally can I just block the coolant line to the carb ? I lost the whole summer trying to get this running, but I would love to have it all sorted for spring. Thanks in advance

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Stock Carb - Leaking coolant
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 08:27:53 PM »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Flyer23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 03:51:10 PM »
Would this parts diagram help?

https://solanocycle.dealerspikeparts.com/oemparts/a/kym/5b50ed3187a866110c2e0da6/carburetor

Stig

Unfortunately it did not. I'm so discouraged to not be able to find anything substantial on these older scooters. This is the perfect scooter for me or my wife to tool around on, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to find anyone to work on it. The guy I have now has worked on 2 stroke bikes but not old scooters so while some things appear ok to him, in fact he's not sure. I'm sure at this point it just requires something simple that we just can't see. I now have fuel flowing out of the tank not requiring the vacuum valve since it is  manual shut off. I think we just need to know exactly what fuel line from the tank goes to the carb, the oil injection line and the coolant line. I'm pretty sure he just has the lines not connected properly in the correct spots, hence the leaking coolant in the carb. I'm guessing that maybe the coolant line is connected where the oil injection line should be or maybe even where he has the coolant line is where the fuel connection should be. If there is a picture someplace that should the line from the fuel tank to the carb, the line from the coolant to the carb, and the line from the oil injection to the carb. Everyone here has been great and I appreciate all your help. Thank you again !!!

Spidey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 02:37:59 PM »
I can get pictures of mine. Ill be changing out my final gear box today. You can bypass the coolant lines. Its a line in and. Line out. From my understanding it goes from head above thermostat to carb. Carb to bottom of tank. Uses t stat and water pump to send the fluid thru the carb recirculatimg tank. I've got the whole circuit blocked off from tank to head and no thermostat right now. I have a fender washer inside the thermostat housing until I get a head that doesnt leak.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 03:44:11 PM »
I can get pictures of mine. Ill be changing out my final gear box today. You can bypass the coolant lines. Its a line in and. Line out. From my understanding it goes from head above thermostat to carb. Carb to bottom of tank. Uses t stat and water pump to send the fluid thru the carb recirculatimg tank. I've got the whole circuit blocked off from tank to head and no thermostat right now. I have a fender washer inside the thermostat housing until I get a head that doesnt leak.
Thanks Spidey!
And welcome to the forum!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Flyer23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 05:51:55 PM »

That would be awesome if you could post that pic. Thanks !!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()