Author Topic: How to tell Model fron Vin #  (Read 925 times)

Flyer23

• View Profile
How to tell Model fron Vin #
« on: March 30, 2022, 09:15:29 PM »
Hello. I am new to the forums and just picked up a 2005 Super 9, I think. How can I tell the model number from the Vin and is this an AC or DC scooter. It is for sure liquid cooled. Here is the VIN #
RFBSHAAE45B371436. Hopefully I can find something to get off the line a little quicker and also improve the top end by maybe 10 mph. Right now it seems sluggish and seems to top out at 35-38 mph. Seems pretty stock. In another post I'll list the issues I want to address. For instance bogs down intermittently, how to check the belt or even where to get a new one...Thank you in advance. It seems like a fun scooter and I plan to use it all summer long.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell Model fron Vin #
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 05:22:26 PM »
I just looked up your scoot..it is indeed a liquid cooled, 2 stroke 50cc with rear disc! I wasn't aware Kymco made a liquid cooled 2 stroke. A little confused by one of your questions...you already know the VIN, you posted it (it's a unique number assigned to your scooter). That's your VIN - vehicle identification number. You also know the model name..not sure if Kymco also assigns a model number?

It seems like every other post in the 50cc section is about making the scoot faster, quicker, etc. No disrespect, but if you want a faster scoot just buy one with a bigger motor to begin with (a 125 or 150cc).

Your 35-38mph top speed is pretty impressive for a 50cc scoot. Seems right where it should be. For bogging issues I'd make sure your carb is thoroughly cleaned, to begin with. Make sure your rollers and belt are all in good shape.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 05:41:41 PM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Flyer23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 06:01:13 PM »
Thanks for the response. I got it for $100 so I wasn't looking for a scooter and that's why I got this one. I already replaced the Carb and battery, but it has been sitting for a few years. Perhaps after a few nice runs it will clear out. The reason I mentioned the speed and pick up is from what I've been reading on the forums here about people getting 50 mph, but I'd be happy with 40. I'll just ride it as is since I just got it running. And yes it is a liquid cooled 2 stroke. I've only run it in the parking lot here at my job at a car dealership. I'm waiting for the weather to break so I can ride it home, which is about 15 miles. So do we know is this an AC or DC ignition ? I can't seem to find any definitive answers....

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 08:43:06 PM »
Yes. Every 50cc owner would be happy with 40mph!
They're built to run at 33/35mph with longevity.
Stug
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 10:07:08 PM »
So do we know is this an AC or DC ignition ? I can't seem to find any definitive answers....

there is some way to tell...but I can't recall it (something about if the headlight comes on with the key on or if it has to be started to come on??)...I'm sure someone else will be along with an answer.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 08:46:10 AM »
there is some way to tell...but I can't recall it (something about if the headlight comes on with the key on or if it has to be started to come on??)...I'm sure someone else will be along with an answer.
If it's a DC machine, the headlight is OFF with the key on before starting.  The DC CDI box is quite a bit bigger than an AC unit.  One sure way to tell is when you swap the CDI and try to start it.  If it's the wrong unit, it will blow all the fuses.  Then you know for sure.  Just change the fuses, find a DC unit, and it will be OK.  Not all CD CDIs are interchangeable even if the look alike.  So don't panic.  Any Chinese 50cc CDI should work OK if it's a 4T engine, but not a 125cc, for example.

Flyer23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 08:03:49 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your responses :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()