Author Topic: Belt substitutions  (Read 4443 times)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Belt substitutions
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:49:56 PM »
When I got the scooter it had these oem kymco 23100-keb7-9000 on it.  Out of attempt to figure out speed issues I had a piaggio 828223/1 put on. 
Visually,  the piaggio seems to be a bit shorter  and the ribs ( no better idea what to call them) were taller. 

Until last night I had been running the piaggio with no real issues that I could tell.  I had gotten a new variator,  noticed the visual difference,  and put the kymco belt back on.  It seems like I've lost a bit of top speed,  but I can't pinpoint it because I stupidly changed the variator,  weights,  and belt.  The weights I changed to I've used before and had better results than last night. 
I could put everything back to how it was and work everything in one at a time,  I guess.
Back to the point,  is the a huge difference in the belt? I intend to use the kymco belt,  but would like to know if the other is safe as a backup.
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Belt substitutions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »
Nothing bad other than strange performance will come from a different belt size. I've experimented on many different scooters using other belt sizes, and never did get better or even equal performance to the intended size. If you have a micrometer measure your stock Kymco belt, if it's under 17.5mm then that is where your performance drop is coming from. 17.5mm is the "wear limit" for the stock belt meaning it should be replaced if under that width. The skinnier the belt, the more top speed is lost. Also another thing to take into account is the belt wall angle, the piaggio one is most likely a different angle, meaning it won't make 100% contact with the pulleys. No matter what anyone says, don't get a gates or Malossi or any aftermarket belt, the stock Kymco one is the best you can buy!!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:30:45 PM »
I planned on using the kymco bando belts.  Josh,  from scooter invasion with cloud 9, had said in a past post that his experience with the oem belts was the best of all the ones he tried.
I the width was still 18mm,  if I remember correctly.  Otherwise I guess I better find one.  There's a dealer in the town south of me and one,  ran by a cocky guy a bit closer that would have them.  Or I could finally set up with spi or racing planet... 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
Racing planet NEVER has the OEM belt. They have flat out Lied to me, and sent Gates and some Ching-Chong belt. I ordered twice by phone, and they still sent crap.

I still buy performance parts thru them because they can't fake those.

Spi (louie) does have them. He's one of us when it comes to OEM belts.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 11:10:50 PM »
Also, you might not be able to set up a dealer acct with racing planet, when i set up mine they needed tax id, pictures of shop, and business license number. PM me what prices your getting, I might be able to beat them all!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 02:03:07 AM »
I remember you saying that now. 

I'll be more than glad to give you business.  Even if it is just a little more,  I'd prefer to do business with someone that "knows " me and that will definitely send me the proper part. 
Plus,  if it's wrong or something I can come here to piss and moan and you'd have to see it :D

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 05:34:57 AM »
Haha yeah, I HATE when I get the wrong stuff on the internet, so i try my best to not screw peoples order up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 06:08:36 AM »
I'll do my best to prop your shop B&L.

I feel a full page "rant" coming...

For RP dealer accounts... I didn't have to jump thru any hoops w/ them. The first thing they did ask for was the tax ID, and I told them I could/will give that to them but I intend to pay them the sales tax on my end. I HATE monthly bills so I pay it on every part thu whatever supplier.
Maybe it's due to my history w/ them, and my constant bitching about how crappy their policies are. "In Stock/ USA" my Arse!

Anyway... Buy Amaarican! Buy from B&L! (or I find out who/ where you are!)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »
'Mercia! 

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 04:21:52 PM »
Alright,  went to the local-ish dealer and got the oem belt,  was talking with him,  rambling,  swiped my card,  then looked at the screen to see sixty something dollars.  I see them in eBay from Taiwan for less than forty including shipping.  Did I get hosed?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 04:32:36 PM »
That normal to high dealer markup. sh** ain't cheap from Kymco, us dealers will ALWAYS get beat by online, those guys selling for $40 are making pennies, deals have high overhead, expensive insurance, payroll, rent. The Taiwanese dude is selling them out of his house prolly. If you like the dealer keep your money there, if you like cheap buy online. I could have for sure beat $60 tho!!

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 09:41:32 PM »
I'm not particularly fond of this guy,  but the face to face interaction,  instant gratification,  and keeping the business at home can easily out weigh the discount of eBay. 
But,  if you're interested,  shoot me a message with what you could do.  I may be interested in getting a few extra.  I might be stocking up for a road trip!  That's a whole different post though...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 09:48:38 PM »
I got the P50 belts for $49.95 plus a $5 flat rate box, should be able to fit 2 belts in a USPS small flat rate box.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 04:57:04 PM »
Okay,  cool.  Now another question relating to my belt.  The old piaggio belt had just a little more length to it,  allowing a higher start position on the rear pulley and ride higher on the variator at top speed.  The oem bando seems to ride lower on the rear at the start and lower on the variator at top speed.  Is there a way to determine the lengths by the numbers on the belts or is that just product codes?  It would be great to get a bando a little longer.  The piaggio gave up the braid along one of the edges, so I can't really judge from that belt any more.  Or maybe this bando will just stretch some over time?  I don't see it getting long enough to cover the distance it's lacking. 

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 04:58:12 PM »
And what are the p50 belts?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()