Author Topic: Changing transmission/gear oil... how will I know I have filled enough?  (Read 2017 times)

spikebites

• View Profile
Okay, I managed to get the oil into the tiny hole, but I am afraid I might not have enough, or maybe I put in too much.  It asks for 0.23L, but a lot of it dribbled down the side of the hole, so, is there any way of checking to make sure I have enough in there?

Theres no dipstick, so is there any visual indication I have used enough oil? or if I am not using enough?  is there any signs? sounds?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:27:09 AM by spikebites »

beermak

• View Profile
Ill drain it and refill it with a syringe with the right amount. Thats how i did it before several times

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
the only way
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
To do it right is to drain completely when hot and install correct amount with a syringe.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

spikebites

• View Profile
But, will there be a burning smell if theres not enough oil?

or will there be leaking if theres too much oil? 

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
You should put in the correct amount, and that will be it. No worrying at all.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

kneeslider

• View Profile
If not wrong, you can't really over fill with gear oil, the inlet hole is located so that sets the physical limit of how much gear oil can go it. So just fill to .23' or till the inlet hole over flows.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Hate to argue, Kneeslider, but what you said is incorrect. You will overfill using that method. Voice of experience! Gotta put the right amount in with a syringe. I put a mark on the plastic jug where the level should be after the right amount is squeezed in. Most jugs of gear lube have a tapered spout that fits in the M6 hole.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

kneeslider

• View Profile
Would a slight over fill on the gear oil cavity be bad?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
not really bad but I had a lot of oil on my air filter, thats where the gear vents too,. 

kneeslider

• View Profile
Talk about the air filter. I haven't even inspected it since the day I picker her up.  :P
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()