Author Topic: torque  (Read 768 times)

billman

• View Profile
torque
« on: December 22, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »
My current scooter (Agility 50) is I think unrestricted - it reaches 40+mph and stays there quite happily. However I live in a hilly area with very steep hills on some roads.  I don't want to go faster but a bit more torque would be useful to save the embarrassment of being reduced to walking pace on some hills. Also I seem to run out of oomph with the throttle at about 2/3 rds rotation, after that it seems to lose power!  Any ideas?

Thanks

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: torque
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 09:11:19 PM »
Use the forum search feature.  Lighter variator weights, or a stronger clutch spring, may keep the CVT in low range longer for a slight gain.  Big-bore kits typically unbalance the rotational dynamics and enhance crankshaft bearing failure.

Accept that you selected the wrong scooter for your performance expectations and replace with at least a 125.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 02:03:58 AM »

If your doing 40 on the flats your scooter restricted.So your good there. Try 5 g rollers or 5.5

JayAre

• Jay Are
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 03:16:46 AM »
I put a 72cc BB in my wife's 2013 Agility because we also live in a city with hills, Marquette MI. But, I put 8 gram rollers in the variator keeping the rpm's down to let the engine live a little longer. The BB torque pulls most of the hills 25-30 mph & still gets 43ish top end. I have a long post with following my, trials, troubles & mods, with specs at the end of the post.
On the topic of losing power after 2/3 throttle. Your bike has a CV, Constant Velocity, carb. The hand throttle opens a butterfly which controls about the first 1/4 of the throttle. After that first 1/4 there's a slide that opens & closes, off of a vacuum signal, which controls the velocity of air through the venture. That's probably why it feels the way it does to you. My bike did have part of the diaphragm folded over which limited the movement of the slide. The diaphragm pulls the slide up & down depending on the amount of vacuum I mentioned. The bike would only go about 5mph up hill & is why I put the BB in it. Again it's all in my post.

Agility 50 / 2013 Agility 50-72cc
« by JayAre on May 12, 2015, 01:39:43 PM »
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:18:44 PM by JayAre »
My wife never asked, " can you make it go faster?" until we bought a 4 stroke Moped. My reply, "yes dear"
2013 Agility 50 de-restricted with 72cc piston & head.
2-2005 Yamaha Zuma's 50cc 2 stroke bone stock

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()