Tools & parts I had to obtain:
Michelin 130/70-12 Reinforced Power Pure tire & new valve stem
Axle bearing 6203 LU
SEAR's cordless impact wrench
Two prong puller

Problems encountered & solution :
stuck 24mm rear axle nut....$89 Sear's impact wrench
stuck rear swing arm fork ......$5 two-prong puller
Took the wheel, new tire, fork and new fork bearing to a friendly Vespa dealer 1/2 hour distant. Job was ready same day, with old bearing pressed out and new pressed in, tire & valve stem mounted for $35. He had the proper equipment for both jobs.

Years ago I bought a box of clean hardware stripped from a new, wrecked, LIKE200i.

I unclipped the O2 sensor from the wiring harness ,to prevent damage to wire.

Washed all parts as they came off, bagged new hardware, painted exhaust with heat paint.

Removed 3 fasteners to free the fender hugger. Left one is buried under air-filter box -

Right one...

Loosen the 24mm axle nut. Hold rear brake....or use impact wrench.
Remove fastener supporting brake line; remove bottom shock bolt; remove 2 caliper bolts & lift off caliper.

Remove 2 small fork bolts and 24mm nut & remove fork from axle. Mine was stuck slightly. Came off easily with a 2 prong puller - be gentle!

Push shock out of the way, remove dip-stick to clear the wheel, slide off wheel and clean everything you can reach under there! Pay attention to the order of the hardware.

Stig

tortoise:

--- Quote from: Stig on March 11, 2017, 05:21:30 PM ---Problems encountered & solution :
stuck 24mm rear axle nut....$89 Sear's impact wrench
--- End quote ---
Interesting . . 150 ft-lb versus 200 ft-lb

For others curious . . the Harbor Freight corded impacts spec 230 ft-lb . . but those lack the potential benefit of a deficient combusting battery pack to provide a supplemental heating resource.

EXCELLENT post . . your effort is much appreciated!

vespbretta:
Thanks a lot Tom! Excellent as ever.  :)
That rear wheel nut loooks really raped...good that you had a new one ready to install.
Very good idea to respray the exhaust with heatresistant paint. Would also have done that.
Good to know that the rear right shock can stay in place and doesn´t have to be removed totally.
Your scooter always looks so so clean, like new.
And the new sexy Tire makes the scooter even more attractive. Have you planned to put Power Pures to the Front as well?
Or will you ride on two different tires from now on (M-CG/M-PP)?

Your picture of the cylinder outlet does show already the new gasket installed or the old one? Is the gasket somehow seated/pressed in there?
So when you want to change it, you will have to pull the old one out first from the flange? See attached pic.
Cyclepedia offers no pics for that part of the install/uninstall process. Thats why I am asking.
Can you pls post the Dimensions of the OEM gasket? Inner/Outer Diameter, Thickness, etc. in mm?
Old gasket looks different than the new ones.

Stig / Major Tom:

--- Quote from: tortoise on March 11, 2017, 06:26:36 PM ---Interesting . . 150 ft-lb versus 200 ft-lb

For others curious . . the Harbor Freight corded impacts spec 230 ft-lb . . but those lack the potential benefit of a deficient combusting battery pack to provide a supplemental heating resource.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: tortoise on March 11, 2017, 06:26:36 PM ---Interesting . . 150 ft-lb versus 200 ft-lb

--- End quote ---
Thanks Tortoise,
But the issue with the harbor freight wrench was not that it had insufficient  power  to remove the axle nut.....it is that it quit functioning in any manner. It just hummed a bit and ...if you shook it and held your mouth just right it would move every once in a while.
 It removed 2 scooter nuts, well....two more after a lot of screwing about.....and then it was d e a d...except for a bit of stationary humming.
I hope to beejeepers I  did not really spend more than $5 for this thing, but am afraid I  might have. (purchased it a couple yrs ago)
I cut the cord off for later use....the rest of it went in last week's recycle bin.
4 scooter nuts wore it out. Was about $6 per nut....and about one hour of work for nuts #3 & #4.
Stig

Stig / Major Tom:

--- Quote from: vespbretta on March 11, 2017, 07:42:33 PM ---Thanks a lot Tom! Excellent as ever.  :)
That rear wheel nut loooks really raped...good that you had a new one ready to install.
Very good idea to respray the exhaust with heatresistant paint. Would also have done that.
Good to know that the rear right shock can stay in place and doesn´t have to be removed totally.
Your scooter always looks so so clean, like new.
And the new sexy Tire makes the scooter even more attractive. Have you planned to put Power Pures to the Front as well?
Or will you ride on two different tires from now on (M-CG/M-PP)?

Your picture of the cylinder outlet does show already the new gasket installed or the old one? Is the gasket somehow seated/pressed in there?
So when you want to change it, you will have to pull the old one out first from the flange? See attached pic.
Cyclepedia offers no pics for that part of the install/uninstall process. Thats why I am asking.
Can you pls post the Dimensions of the OEM gasket? Inner/Outer Diameter, Thickness, etc. in mm?
Old gasket looks different than the new ones.

--- End quote ---
Hello Robo,
My pic shows new gasket in head......finger pulls out old one.
Bought gaskets for common GY6 size scooter, measure @30mm O.S. from a scooter shop. Not expensive.....don't  recall shop's name.
They fit well.
Stig

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version