Author Topic: Gear oil replacement questions  (Read 1195 times)

kymcofan1

• View Profile
Gear oil replacement questions
« on: September 03, 2022, 03:19:35 AM »
I have a Kymco Agility 125 with 3,000 km and I've changed the gear oil a few times now. I'm new to bikes, but I've worked on many cars before. The manual says to put something like 180cc in after you drain, but I've just been adding an equivalent of what comes out by comparing two clear cups side by side, because not even close to 180cc comes out and I wanted to avoid overfilling it.

Here's my question, should I be adding 180cc, regardless of how much comes out, because gear oil burns up and that's why they want more to go in, or will adding more than what drains every time just overfill it eventually. Like I said, I'm new to this, so any advice is welcomed.

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Gear oil replacement questions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 07:36:06 AM »
@kymcofan1, welcome here!
Filling this amount which came out might be sufficiant, but be sure to have enough gear oil in it.

Too much of oil would result in spoiling your AIRFILTER through the gears breather tube.

In short, empty completely at warm motor, fill 150-180 ml and you have your peace of mind.

Edit: pls see maint. schedule
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 01:33:55 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 08:30:42 AM »
Welcome here kymcofan (aren’t we all?).

According to this:  https://vachiraphuaklek.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/changing-your-scooter-gear-oil/ you should be draining off close to 180 ml if following the guidance?  If not, I’d be tempted to refill with 180 ml and then see what drains off next time? Checking the air filter in the meantime as Ruffus suggests.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 03:26:44 PM »
And, no - gear oil doesn't burn up.
Welcome!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 05:04:42 PM »
I suggest you put 180cc in each refill, and a syringe is best for that. In my experience less than 180cc drains out during an oil change and I don't know how that's possible since nothing is leaking.

BTW, do not use a torque wrench to tighten either of the two gear oil bolts to the specs in the manual. That housing metal is soft and you will probably strip the threads which will cause serious issues. Hand tighten and leave them alone.

I change the engine oil every 2k and the gear oil every 4k. Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube is best and do not recommend using Royal Purple brand.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 10:20:42 PM »
I have a Kymco Agility 125 with 3,000 km and I've changed the gear oil a few times now. I'm new to bikes, but I've worked on many cars before. The manual says to put something like 180cc in after you drain, but I've just been adding an equivalent of what comes out by comparing two clear cups side by side, because not even close to 180cc comes out and I wanted to avoid overfilling it.

Here's my question, should I be adding 180cc, regardless of how much comes out, because gear oil burns up and that's why they want more to go in, or will adding more than what drains every time just overfill it eventually. Like I said, I'm new to this, so any advice is welcomed.
If you have time for a little experiment to see if your scooter is keeping secrets..drain your gear oil, refill with 180cc, drain it again into a measuring device. See what amount drains out now.
Yoj might find something interesting.  Some fill figures are based on filling a totally dry gear case after a rebuild....while other figures are that used for routine servicing.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 02:15:18 PM »

Why have you changed your gear oil a few times in 3000km?!

I do it every 6000km, and even that is a bit overkill.
Agility City 125

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 01:09:04 AM »
I do it every 6000km, and even that is a bit overkill.

You think so? Doesn't the manual say 4k?

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 06:11:28 AM »
You think so? Doesn't the manual say 4k?

There are a few gears inside an enclosed casing bathing in gear oil transferring less then 10hp to the rear wheel.

Every car that I have had has gone more then 150000km. All manual transmissions. The gear oil has never been changed in any of them.
Kinda makes you think.
Agility City 125

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 10:42:55 AM »
Manual for the Cali 200 recommends gear oil change every 3100 miles.  Since the recommended engine oil change every 620 miles seems overkill (I change it at 1100 or so), I'm guessing the gear oil change is also.  But it makes sense manufacturers want to error on the side of safety.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 10:49:58 AM »
There is a good reason why to change gear oil in our KYMCOS. It's called wear.

In difference to an car gear this small gear is mounted without any rubber shockers directly to its CVT case. Then this small amount of oil has to bear with a lot of inconveniences like heat, straight sprockets, exit shank direct to the wheel, etc.

So there are many more stressors which cause this oil to boil up.
Even 4k km seem to be little overdone, better to change regularely with prime stuff.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 12:54:20 PM »
Each gear oil change is so inexpensive - even with the best stuff - because our scooter requires such a small amount.
(Same for engine oil changes. )

I do wish Kymco would simplify things by......"drain, then fill until new oil begins to flow from fill hole. Wait a bit, then reinstall the plug. Do NOT overtighten!!".......like is used on so many scooters.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()