Author Topic: Engine started behaving badly in the middle of my ride this morning.  (Read 888 times)

andrew22xc

• View Profile
Hello all, thank you for your time.

This morning I was riding to the store and about 3 miles into my journey, with no irregularities, I stopped at a traffic light. The scooter was vibrating violently all of a sudden, and was requiring throttle to not die. Moving out of the stop seemed almost impossible. It took a good 10sec of full throttle to get up to 10mph, where the engine stopped shuttering and resumed normal acceleration performance. I pulled over and checked the stuff I know about, but nothing seemed wrong. Good fluid levels, tight seals on carb area, and no kinks in air or fuel lines I could see. Even checked the spark plug and cleaned it. It continues to have this engine rocking issue now, despite being normal this morning. Could it possibly be rollers in the CVT? Can those even go instantly bad during a ride? Could something have got into the engine, that muks it down at low rpms? Here is a link to a short video of the scooter cold idling just now -    Any leads would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Andrew

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Engine started behaving badly in the middle of my ride this morning.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 11:22:45 PM »
A little more information about this scooter. Miles,  recent service, belt and rollers age, crashes?
I'd pull the belt cover and have a look at things while it's running.
Clutch spring could be broken, belt chewed up....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 12:50:28 AM »
If you had to apply full throttle to prevent the engine from  dying I think you have a fuel supply problem. Some dirt probably got stuck somewhere in the carb for a while but there might be more diet in the carb.
So I think it might make sense to remove the carb and make sure all channels and jets are clean.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 02:17:49 AM »
That Idle is not normal. Just by looking at the video I would check the Carb and the Belt as well as everything inside the cvt
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

andrew22xc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 02:06:53 AM »
A little update. I took the clutch bell off and sanded the inside, cleaned with compressed air/brake cleaner, and put it back together. I also completely cleaned the carb. No obstructions were found, but I cleaned it all anyways. A few notes. Can someone send me a picture of completely worn and shot clutch pads. they look fine to me but tbh I really dont know wat to look for. Also, I took the clutch assembly completely off and now that its back on, the main bolt tightens down a full one turn tighter on the threads. did i miss a washer in there somewhere?

My next step is taking the variator assembly apart and checking rollers, but does anyone have any other ideas? The belt looks great, but looks to me like its got alot of slack in the video.  I would like to remind everyone that this happened mid ride. no problem, then the problem just started at a stoplight.

No crashes. services have to be done by me, so not much besides fluids in that respect. I have learned alot owning this thing though. its been a fun ride. this is the first real problem I have had with it in over a year.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 02:18:58 AM »
agility 125 parts diagram from kymcopartsonline.com ... yes, there's a washer that goes behind the nut holding your clutch bell on, if that was one of your questions
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 11:42:24 AM »
One more, my favorite! Open the gas cap, see if air whooshes in when this is running rough.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 01:09:47 PM »
and another -

Please remove the belt cover - start it and watch the operation of your CVT system. DON'T touch anything - just watch it. Maybe rev it just a little.
I'm not convinced that it is your engine - until I see the CVT in operation.

A video would be  G R E A T !

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 07:39:13 PM »
and another -

Please remove the belt cover - start it and watch the operation of your CVT system. DON'T touch anything - just watch it. Maybe rev it just a little.
I'm not convinced that it is your engine - until I see the CVT in operation.

A video would be  G R E A T !

Stig
That, too!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()