Author Topic: Jacket/Pants - Textile with Armour or Leather (w/w/o) Armour ?  (Read 13373 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Jacket/Pants - Textile with Armour or Leather (w/w/o) Armour ?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 02:20:33 AM »
That's not a scooter Stig... it's a space ship... see the lights? they look like this  :o  :o  :o Lol!

Anyways, thanks for the info Paper! Great gear for long rides but I only do a few miles everyday... so, a jacket, jeans and running shoes work fine... helmet of course..
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 02:23:05 AM by Vivo »

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 08:07:57 AM »
I've read through the postings and was shocked to not see a couple of the best protective clothing manufacturers out there..
The best protective gear is a customized onesie made of leather. You won't see a MotoGP racer in textile or with seperate jacket and trouser.
The helmet (integral, no modular etc.) should be customized too and made of carbon fibre.

But best/professional is not my world.
Not even high quality serial production from "Rukka" (1-2000€).
I stay in the <100€/item world (but many pieces, namely from "Roleff").
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:10:04 AM by ts1 »

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 02:35:56 AM »
With my first adventure sliding down the street, I was wearing a relatively inexpensive textile jacket with armor. I slid on my left side so the jacket was scuffed up but protected my upper body.

I replaced it with a First Gear Kilimanjaro textile in the high viz color. When I was rear ended a few weeks ago I landed on my right side. Again, the armor kept me from having any broken bones. I didn't slide any, just landed straight down and there was no scrapes on the jacket.

This summer I also got a First Gear mesh textile with armor for hot weather. I often ride without a jacket when it's really hot, but after these 2 episodes, I think I'll keep my jacket on.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:46:06 AM by AVGuy »
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 03:50:09 PM »

That's a serious looking scooter - probably not Chinese - though I do note they didn't get the cylinders up where they should be.

That's what the Guzzi guys always say.. It's a Guzzi with saggy t*ts.. :)
Been a BMW rider since the mid 80's and the GS is an amazing bike.. Tons of power, excellent handling, comfort and the ability to wander into areas that need exploring. I bought this one used in Spokane and rode it home to the IL/WI state line over a 3 day weekend.. I rode Lolo, Bighorn and half of Beartooth Pass on the way home, too.. The other half of Beartooth was still closed due to snow (First weekend in June).. This is the MT/WY state line.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »
That's not a scooter Stig... it's a space ship... see the lights? they look like this  :o  :o  :o Lol!

Anyways, thanks for the info Paper! Great gear for long rides but I only do a few miles everyday... so, a jacket, jeans and running shoes work fine... helmet of course..

You know where the headlights came from, don't you?

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »
On a more serious note..

But I do love Bill the Cat

Anyway, I've always tried to wear protective gear, but it wasn't until 4 years ago that it struck home..

I was leading an after breakfast ride of a group of 6 friends. Leading isn't really correct, as we all ride at whatever speed we're comfortable with, and if the direction or road changes, the leader waits for everyone to make sure all are safe and on the right road. This was one of those rides, and it was on a very curvy area in Southwestern Wisconsin. I love corners and I tend to ride faster than the average person because I seldom slow down.. I only ride 10 over posted, but I don't think anything of taking a 20mph corner at 50 if I can do it safely..

The reason I mention this is that if you get into a bunch of corners, the group gets stretched out. Again we tell everyone to ride at where they're comfortable.

Well, I went through few corners and then had a straight stretch. I slowed down to try to gather up the group a bit and I noticed that my group had shrunk by 3 bikes. I slowed down to basically walking speed (seriously) and then wondered if someone had dropped something?? The other two and I turned around and rode back about 2 miles to see 2 bikes parked beside the road, a car with a flashing light in the dash, and an ambulance on the way down the road.. CRAP!!!

Well, one of the guys got a little too far over, caught gravel, and proceeded to end up in a ditch with a small creek in it.. His bike hit a big rock and he got tossed into other big rocks, and the bike ended up down the creekbed a bit.

He was wearing a new full face helmet, as well as an Olympia jacket and pants.

Fast forward a bit, he ended up with a slightly cracked vertebrae, a couple cracked ribs, and the only place he was bleeding was where his sunglasses scraped his temple in his helmet. The police, fire department, and EMT's repeatedly thanked all of us for wearing all the gear. The accident where they figured they'd be washing brains off of rocks (WI doesn't require helmets) ended up basically as a training exercise. Had he been wearing the standard Harley riding gear, I would have gone to a funeral.. Instead, I drank a couple beers with him last Saturday night.

It was at that point that I decided I WILL have a helmet, gloves, and jacket on for just my 9 mile ride through town to work, and I will have protective pants and boots for anything beyond that.

End of sermon..

And I just wanted to pass that along as something I lived through.. They stood him up to put him on a backboard and everyone was laughing because he was going to be fine (he's still weird, but he's been that way since I met him) rather than dead..

I don't tell anyone what to wear or do.. That's your choice..

My choice is that I wear the gear because if I dump my bike, I want to be able to stand up and go "That sucks" and be able to ride the next week.. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 11:19:16 AM »
Thanks Paper,
Very well said.
I do not think there can be too many comments of this nature.
There are 4 Kymcos just like mine within a mile of each other - but one has been parked, in pieces, for the past few months. Hit and run by a van on a 4 lane blvd.
Stig
Nice photo!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 02:08:06 AM »
Getting hit head-on by a drunk in a pick up sure made me glad I decided to gear up on that short little run to RedBox. I was able to jump off just before impact and land on my feet, but it still impressed on me how important that gear is had I hit the pavement. I'm now an ATGATT believer.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 06:18:37 AM »
Amour is one thing but it's best if it has CE certification. The level is entirely dependent on how far you want to go with it.

I scoot daily to work, so it's work attire with my GIVI M11.0,  textile REV IT Air jacket, RS Taichi textile gloves and XPD boots.

On the weekend blasts on my other bike, its full leathers, full faced helmet, leather gloves, boots, back protector.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2014, 04:07:40 AM »
I like this thread, so I am posting on it to keep it current. The information has been great to read.

I have an inexpensive BILT leather/mesh combo jacket with armor in the shoulders and elbows. I recently bought Bohn mesh Cool Air armored pants. They go under your pants. They seem quite warm. They are like thick pantyhose. I will know this weekend as I am doing a long ride.

Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2014, 04:42:45 AM »
For cool weather riding I bought a Kevlar/Armored Hoodie from GoGo Gear. Love this ... warm and protective and looks like a regular hoodie. Fit is awesome, as well . (Actually. I have two - one is larger so as to wear heavier clothing under for even more warmth/layering) .

They make a number of armored jackets that don't look like your typical 'biker' clothing. Good for people who have to dress professionally for work .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
I have a 14 mile trip to work at mostly 45-55MPH (72-89KPH). Right now I'm wearing some cheap gloves and an armored jacket add in blue jeans and tennis shoes. I'm wondering what people do once they get to work because I'm considering boots and armored pants. Forgive the ignorance but do pants fit over jeans? Then what do you do once you get to work? Are you carrying extra shoes to wear during the day? Is this how ATGATT works, you just get to change out of it everywhere you go. A trip to RedBox is fine but if you are doing a little shopping at Walmart then are you getting out of all your gear before cruising through the store? I'd just like to know your experiences and habits as this is my first summer of riding and well, just taking pics around the park yesterday, I was sweating like a hog in that jacket (possible weight loss program) because it was a lot of stop and go. I unzipped the jacket at one point but then when I took off I thought, "An unzipped jacket isn't going to protect me if I go down (on the scoot  :) ).
Wayne

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 12:15:20 AM »
On a more serious note..

But I do love Bill the Cat

Anyway, I've always tried to wear protective gear, but it wasn't until 4 years ago that it struck home..

I was leading an after breakfast ride of a group of 6 friends. Leading isn't really correct, as we all ride at whatever speed we're comfortable with, and if the direction or road changes, the leader waits for everyone to make sure all are safe and on the right road. This was one of those rides, and it was on a very curvy area in Southwestern Wisconsin. I love corners and I tend to ride faster than the average person because I seldom slow down.. I only ride 10 over posted, but I don't think anything of taking a 20mph corner at 50 if I can do it safely..

The reason I mention this is that if you get into a bunch of corners, the group gets stretched out. Again we tell everyone to ride at where they're comfortable.

Well, I went through few corners and then had a straight stretch. I slowed down to try to gather up the group a bit and I noticed that my group had shrunk by 3 bikes. I slowed down to basically walking speed (seriously) and then wondered if someone had dropped something?? The other two and I turned around and rode back about 2 miles to see 2 bikes parked beside the road, a car with a flashing light in the dash, and an ambulance on the way down the road.. CRAP!!!

Well, one of the guys got a little too far over, caught gravel, and proceeded to end up in a ditch with a small creek in it.. His bike hit a big rock and he got tossed into other big rocks, and the bike ended up down the creekbed a bit.

He was wearing a new full face helmet, as well as an Olympia jacket and pants.

Fast forward a bit, he ended up with a slightly cracked vertebrae, a couple cracked ribs, and the only place he was bleeding was where his sunglasses scraped his temple in his helmet. The police, fire department, and EMT's repeatedly thanked all of us for wearing all the gear. The accident where they figured they'd be washing brains off of rocks (WI doesn't require helmets) ended up basically as a training exercise. Had he been wearing the standard Harley riding gear, I would have gone to a funeral.. Instead, I drank a couple beers with him last Saturday night.

It was at that point that I decided I WILL have a helmet, gloves, and jacket on for just my 9 mile ride through town to work, and I will have protective pants and boots for anything beyond that.

End of sermon..

And I just wanted to pass that along as something I lived through.. They stood him up to put him on a backboard and everyone was laughing because he was going to be fine (he's still weird, but he's been that way since I met him) rather than dead..

I don't tell anyone what to wear or do.. That's your choice..

My choice is that I wear the gear because if I dump my bike, I want to be able to stand up and go "That sucks" and be able to ride the next week..

As an EMT-I , who has been to many a MC crash ( and , also , live in a 'no helmet rquired' State ) I THANK YOU !!

Could not have said it better myself !
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »
I have a 14 mile trip to work at mostly 45-55MPH (72-89KPH). Right now I'm wearing some cheap gloves and an armored jacket add in blue jeans and tennis shoes. I'm wondering what people do once they get to work because I'm considering boots and armored pants. Forgive the ignorance but do pants fit over jeans? Then what do you do once you get to work? Are you carrying extra shoes to wear during the day? Is this how ATGATT works, you just get to change out of it everywhere you go. A trip to RedBox is fine but if you are doing a little shopping at Walmart then are you getting out of all your gear before cruising through the store? I'd just like to know your experiences and habits as this is my first summer of riding and well, just taking pics around the park yesterday, I was sweating like a hog in that jacket (possible weight loss program) because it was a lot of stop and go. I unzipped the jacket at one point but then when I took off I thought, "An unzipped jacket isn't going to protect me if I go down (on the scoot  :) ).

IMO it takes a while, unless you have a ton of cash, to acquire gear to cover the wide range on conditions and destinations. I have a closet that's full of just riding gear. Multiple jackets, pants, gloves etc.

Back in the day I rode a HD and the gear was easy leather. Sometimes it was good for safty but others it was all for a look. Same with the lid, just enough to stay legal. To this day leather is a great material for abrasion although it lacks the "see me" color.

Starting with the upper body I own a variety of armored jackets and shirts. Again some are better than others. Armor is good CE armor even better. I got hit in march and was wearing a Bilt armored jacket that took the pavement at 35-40 mph and although the jacket was a total loss I had zero road rash.

Of course in the heat of the Florida summer that same jacket is just plain nasty to wear and the "compromises" begin. As you stated a jacket that's not zipped is of little help. I've been using Bohn shirts when it really hot.

http://www.actionstation.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=BGSAY

I like these shirts first and foremost "under" a jacket as abrasion resistance is minimal. They must also fit tight to hold armor I'm place but the nice thing is it adds armor to any of my other riding jackets.

Yes I have ridden with just the shirt and it was very comfortable. I've worn the shirt and matching pants under business suits.

http://www.actionstation.com/catalog/bohn-bodyguard-adventure-armored-pants.php

I also knew I was making a trade off. Better comfort less protection. That's always the same trade and its a personal choice.

Lower body I have traditional armored pants and Kevlar reinforced jeans. Also the above Bohn armor underwear.

http://firstgear-usa.com/mens-gear/pants/men-s-ht-overpants.html

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Street/Pants/Textile/brand/BILT-IRON-WORKERS/Steel-Motorcycle-Jeans/p/41393_200503_73

I buy the jeans a size or two big and use them as "over pants" that way I can just slip them on over whatever I'll be wearing. Yeah when ATGATT you change cloths a lot. Lol

Boots. I carry another pair of foot ware as nothing but cycle boots for me no matter where else I may cheat a little. Foot goes down as a reflex and bad things can happen over nothing. Same with gloves always no matter what.

I'm not touching the helmet topic. I own many of different styles and always wear one. Just me.

Haven't even gotten to the rain gear!

Last I'm a HiVis guy, just don't let wearing it fool you. In march I was on the below scoot, trike, with the below gear on.

The first thing the woman who t-boned me said?
I never saw you.....really! A yellow trike the size of a small car and the day-glo costume and she never saw me. It wasn't the HiVis that helped it was the armored jacket, Kevlar jeans boots and hat.

I still wear all yellow but more important I still dress for the fall I survive.

Hope that helps some. Ever rider has there own ideas on this. The above is just one mans method.

Be Big,
AMAC

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:28:23 PM by Amac1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2014, 06:52:30 PM »
You're right about taking a while to get it all. I appreciate all the feedback. With all that gear, I can see a Shad case in my future or maybe just a backpack for the change of clothes. Mo money, mo money mo money.
Wayne

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()