Author Topic: Jacket/Pants - Textile with Armour or Leather (w/w/o) Armour ?  (Read 13374 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Jacket/Pants - Textile with Armour or Leather (w/w/o) Armour ?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »
 the richer one wears a Belstaf ?bugger me that was a cheep brand like akito in the day..... what happened?

Belstaff is the new Burberry, only much more expensive. You shoulda bought it up when you had the chance. I tried to buy some Belstaff saddlebags off ebay for touring on the Vespa a few months ago, they were Vintage leather ones,looked real cool but they ended up going for silly money so i drop out the bidding. Their basic 2nd hand bike jackets still go for over £100 last time i looked. The cool leathers are well into the hundreds of £'s. The old vintage Belstaff gear is cool as ........tho. Maybe one day.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 11:55:42 PM »
  During the summer my 1 mile ride to the gym is "T" shirt only, of course the helmet, boots and gloves.

No pants? Just let it hang in the breeze?  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 12:40:39 AM »
No pants? Just let it hang in the breeze?  :D
The chicks love it.  But jeans work well.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »
I have leather pants when its cool,. and textile joe rocket pants & jacket for the hot season,. I also have Bohn mesh body armor it is very lite but cool under regular clothing,. I have never done a slide, with armor, 60 years ago never even thought of it,. no helmet or gloves, just hob nail boots worked in the bush then, the big thing then was drag your boots and watch the sparks fly,.

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 12:49:29 AM »
When I had my wreck with the deer back in September I can't give enough thanks to God that I was wearing full face helmet, (GMAX), Mesh armoured jacket from Speed and Strength, and mesh
britches from Icon. All the gear was heavily shredded from the face shields in the helmet, the sleeves on my jacket, and the legs around the knees on the Icon Hooligan britches. All the meat was stripped from my elbows and knees, had five broken ribs, torn cartilage in the right knee, and a broken bone in the right foot. I was also wearing Vegas boots. The sole was stripped down the side on the right boot. The injuries were very painfull but none were life threatening and I live to ride another day because THIS forum taught me a very valuable principle; it's called ATGATT. When I first read about ATGATT in this forum it was in the middle of a very hot Alabama summer and I did not want to ride with all that gear on. But I did what you guys told me and it without a doudt saved my life. I was also wearing Cortech gloves and thay were shredded also. So thanks again for your wisdom. You saved my life. Mike

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 01:19:05 AM »
Mike,

You are paying the favor forward by telling your story.

I bet it will save some else's life.

KZ
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
I agree with Zim, thanks for sharing Mike. That's one of the reasons I wanted to start this forum.

-Wolf

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
I never, ever get on my Xciting without at least a helmet, jeans, gloves and boots.  99% of the time I have all of the formentioned, a textport armored jacket and fieldsheer mesh/armored pants.  When it gets really cold I'll swap out the textport jacket for a fieldsheer winter jacket, a neck warmer and polar gloves.

When it's hot I wear a coolvest under the textport jacket.

I've only had one accident since 2005.  I was thrown over the handlebars and skidded along for about 30 feet.  The only damages were a sprained wrist and 5 stitches in my chin when I broke the helmet as I augered in on the highway.

I don't like tempting fate.  I know it's all a matter of choice what one puts on and any kind of protection is better than none.

Oh, and I almost forgot..the MSF course is a good thing to take.  It's as good a protection as all the above mentioned.

Ride safe everyone.

Don in KC.

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
Another rider telling his 'drop, drag and slide' story . . . and how his gear saved his a$$ both literally and figuratively.

He does drop the "F" bomb a few times (in case there are kids around.)
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »
I bought a ventilated textile jacket from gogogearla.com.  Here's the link for it:  http://www.gogogearla.com/cafe-jacket-ventilated-black/

I dreaded wearing it today in this 85 degree and humid weather, but it was just fine.  Since it's ventilated, the air flows through the arms and sides and keeps you cool enough.

It was expensive, but it is sturdy and armored.  And it's big enough for me to wear a light down jacket underneath in cold weather.

I also wear boots and a 3/4 helmet with a full shield.

Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »
Full gear. Once you build the habit, it becomes a second skin. Feel naked without.

For powerful scooters I also suggest earplugs. Protect your hearing from the wind, epecially with 3/4 or cheaper helmets.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 01:27:35 AM »
Took a motorcycle safety 2 day class this week. A lot of folks poked fun at my first gear armored hi viz mesh jacket.
"Man that's a bright thing!"
Yep, that's why I bought it, and wear it every day on my scoot.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 03:57:07 AM »
I wear a Spidi jacket for 3 seasons.  Too hot for summer riding.  I went down doing 35mph a few years ago in it and you can't tell from looking at it but I do have a new helmet.   I was just bruised and sore.  I wear textile mesh in the summer and feel naked.  Lucked out on the Spidi jacket from ebay and haven't found a serious mesh jacket that I really trust.   The Spidi is waterproof also. 

I have 8" boots that I wear with gloves.  I just wear long heavy jeans so I'm not really ATGATT but I'm close.
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 03:41:30 AM »
I'll dredge this back up to toss in some other info..

I've read through the postings and was shocked to not see a couple of the best protective clothing manufacturers out there..

Klim makes great stuff.. More geared towards the Adventure crowd, it breathes, is waterproof and protective.. It's also long lasting, but it's expensive..

And then there's my favorite. Aerostich
Unless it's 85+ degrees out, I'm in 'Stich clothing.. Goretex lined, protective, and made for touring comfort. Also pricey, but often found on Ebay for 1/2 of retail. And it's only available from Aerostich.. Most of it's made right there, in Duluth, MN and they've been around for 30 years. 

Here's me with my Aerostich Darien jacket and pants, and I wear a full face helmet, waterproof touring boots and gloves.. Great gear..

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 02:07:48 AM »
I'll dredge this back up to toss in some other info..

I've read through the postings and was shocked to not see a couple of the best protective clothing manufacturers out there..

Klim makes great stuff.. More geared towards the Adventure crowd, it breathes, is waterproof and protective.. It's also long lasting, but it's expensive..

And then there's my favorite. Aerostich
Unless it's 85+ degrees out, I'm in 'Stich clothing.. Goretex lined, protective, and made for touring comfort. Also pricey, but often found on Ebay for 1/2 of retail. And it's only available from Aerostich.. Most of it's made right there, in Duluth, MN and they've been around for 30 years. 

Here's me with my Aerostich Darien jacket and pants, and I wear a full face helmet, waterproof touring boots and gloves.. Great gear..

Thanks for the info - more on this subject is always good.
That's a serious looking scooter - probably not Chinese - though I do note they didn't get the cylinders up where they should be.
Thanks for sharing. Seriously. ( a fellow down the street has a scooter just like mine - it has been sitting broken to bits next to his car for months in his condo lot. Hit and run van driver got him in front of a Walmart. Elderly neighbor couple bought a scoot like mine after watching me go by their house all summer. I've talked them into parking them until they take the riding class next spring. )
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()