Author Topic: Jacket/Pants - Textile with Armour or Leather (w/w/o) Armour ?  (Read 13375 times)

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
Jacket/Pants - Textile with Armour or Leather (w/w/o) Armour ?
« on: November 13, 2012, 02:38:26 AM »
What works best ?

I've done a little reading around the Internet - sound like leather with padding and pockets for Armour.

But some folks also have a cooler textile jacket for hot summer months.

What do you guys use ?  What jacket has slid down the road and really worked to protect the rider?

Tx,

KZ
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

Zimmerman

• ---------
    • View Profile
Re: Jacket/Pants - Textile with Armour or Leather (w/w/o) Armour ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 02:48:24 AM »
Some riders were wearing armored shirts under a leather jacket.

What do you think of this jacket?  It has good reviews.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/Xelement-Mens-Classic-TOP-GRADE-Biker-Motorcycle-Jacket/342549.html
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 03:30:41 AM »
Me, it really depends on the weather and length/purpose of trip.

I wear a motocross jersey for my daily ride to and from the office. Long trips would require padded textile jacket and some armor gear, boots, etc.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »
Personally i want armour in my jackets. I have my leather with full armour and a zip out inner i use pretty much all year. I also have a textile with full armour but i find that leaks a lot if i get caught in a rain shower compared to the leather so i rarely, if ever, wear it now since i got my leather one a year or 2 ago. Tbh there isnt much difference in how warm or cool the leather is compared to the textile, but other makes may vary more.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »
well im one of thoes divs that wares my suit to work with my waterproof fishing coat on top and the only padding i have is my new armered gloves. so no protection at all. only 3 mile to work but still, im cheating fate. will have to invest in some protection. i remember when i was 15 a came off my push bike at around 30mph. i was a mess. had a cote on then etc. but when i slid across the road, it was like i had nothing on. all my shoulder arm face was scratched bad. was taken to a&e. took about 6 months to heal.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »
I agree, armor is the way to go over leather. For now, in the colder months, I've switched to a heavy leather jacket for protection agaisnt the wind and cold, though I'd prefer the security of armor. Buying a second armored riding coat isn't in my budget at the moment. Here's the website where I ordered my scooter jacket:

http://www.corazzo.net/node/12

I have the Corazzo 5.0 jacket in brown. The Leather 5.0 does look tempting though.

-Wolf

Zimmerman

• ---------
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »
Skippy & group,

These stories are good for all of us to hear.

All the years I've been riding I've never had a single problem . . . But for some reason the little voice in my head keeps saying 'get riding gear'. My physco-therapist thinks it's a good idea too !  :)

Many of you have been riding longer and more often than me - if you need protection then I certainly do too.

KZ
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »
The road is a harsh teacher. Avoid detetion at all cost.

-Wof

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
you never can tell whats around the corner.
im new to riding scoots aswell. as i say the last time i had a wipe out was 17 years ago. so never have come off a scoot. dont want to either, but even streido two weeks ago had a bad time with black ice. all we can do is prepair for the worst, and hope it does not happen.at some point in your life you will come off. and you will be glad of pretection.
as my dad said when i was younger( related to sex) always wair your wellies.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »
Cant find my jacket new online, must be too old  :D

This is my leather, only mine has Blue instead of red piping and doesnt say "Julie" on the back or have a T.T patch on it. Real comfy jacket and real quality leather used, not cheap leather that scratches if you look at it. Fits me really well, perfect actually.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/mens-clothing/coats-and-jackets/dannisport-size-m-black-leather-jacket-hd_100022967

My textile jacket is same as this only has yellow where the blue is on this one.....

http://londonbikers.com/forums/Topic527014.aspx

Skippy, look on ebay and eventually you'll pick one up thats both decent and cheap. I got one for the wife and my son off there for well under half the new prices, cant just remember exactly but think i only paid around £30-£40 for theirs, and they were almost new, looked hardly or not even worn in.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 06:01:02 PM »
i will do after x mass with 3 kids not much money to go round at the mo. shopping and all. after x mass will be able to get rid of some debt and will look out for one. untill then i hope there is no snow or ice :-\ but if weather bad will use the car........

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »
what is the best leather clothing these days?

going back a fue years ago now i worked in a shop in matlock bath( a hot spot for bickers) that sold motorcycle clothing and accesories.
the main names then were...
akito
danisport
richea
frank thomas
buffalo

my money was always on danisport as it was soft leather with plenty of padding. but that was then.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »
A lot of guys i work with who ride bikes/scoots use Frank Thomas, the richer one wears a Belstaff  :D

Im just going to get my kids scooter parts for xmas, mainly Agility 50 parts and Vespa T5 parts.  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »
yer if only. most of shopping is done for them. so missis says. but she will keep buying untill the day.

the richer one wears a Belstaf ?
bugger me that was a cheep brand like akito in the day..... what happened?

whats happened to the vw? has work stoped on that project?

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 09:08:23 PM »
My armored Joe Rocket jacket is VG.  The problem is that I only wear it if it is cold out or on a club ride or other long ride.  During the summer it is a "T" shirt under a long sleeve flannel shirt (sometimes), never without full face helmet, boots and gloves .  During the summer my 1 mile ride to the gym is "T" shirt only, of course the helmet, boots and gloves.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()