Author Topic: Roadcraft  (Read 4855 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Roadcraft
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:12:29 PM »
Hello all,

This category is open for all members to discuss and share their riding experiences, tactics and strategies on the road as oppose to discussions of a technical, mechanical or of the various makes and models of (Kymco) scooters.

The road is constant and changing with both natural and manmade hazards, thrills and challenges. Your anecdote, tips and suggestions could improve the wellbeing and state of our member's lives and scooters alike.

Post away!

-Wolf
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:34:39 PM by ScooterWolf »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Roadcraft
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 02:52:37 AM »
..well...i be damned....first time back on th forum inna while, and here's a NEW board...

yaayyy!!!...

..Way t' go wolf!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:38 AM »
Howdy word?....

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:23:38 AM »
1. I usually ride following the left or right tail of the car up front and not it's center... Reason?... potholes, manholes, and other road debris.  When a car driver ahead of you avoids these, you are sure to be on the safe side if you just follow the car's tracks...

2. When I approach a turn at night with my turn signal lights on, I always make sure that my headlights are on low beam.  Our scooters' turn signals cannot be seen by approaching vehicles if the headlights are on high.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:28:53 AM by Vivo »

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
..well...i be damned....first time back on th forum inna while, and here's a NEW board...

yaayyy!!!...

..Way t' go wolf!!!

We gets sh** done when your not here to distract us with dots..................... :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:33:54 AM »
Hello all,

This category is open for all members to discuss and share their riding experiences, tactics and strategies on the road as oppose to discussions of a technical, mechanical or of the various makes and models of (Kymco) scooters.

The road is constant and changing with both natural and manmade hazards, thrills and challenges. Your anecdote, tips and suggestions could improve the wellbeing and state of our member's lives and scooters alike.

Post away!

-Wolf

Wolf you ought to make the above post a "sticky", that way it stays at the top of the page and lets new comers know what this section is about. Not sure if you can modify your post or you may need to copy it to a new topic here and make that the "sticky".
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »
Thanks Streido,

Now ... how do you do that?

-Wolf

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 08:00:54 PM »
Thanks Streido,

Now ... how do you do that?

-Wolf

I thought it was simple to do but now i just had a quick look it seems that we cant post that way, only Skad or a Mod can do it, which would make sense really. Maybe Skad will stick one up?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 02:33:12 PM »
I'll shoot him an email request. Glad to know I'm not crazy when I  tried to figure it out.

-Wolf

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:02:12 AM »
...well, i ride a 50cc super9 lc scoot, daily...

..she's pretty quick, responsive to the throttle twist throughout all speed ranges and cruises comfortably in 50 mph traffic..

..i'm finding that more and more i HATE riding in the outside (right-hand, on this side of the lake) lane!!!

..people just dont see me in that lane!!!!

partyhut

• imstilriden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 01:03:21 AM »
newby input   plan your trips around the size and endurance of your ride.   In the mid 70's (when I was a lot younger and hopefully a lot dumber ) I took a road trip from Chattanooga to Hemphill, texas to go bass fishing on the Texas side of Toledo bend.  I made the trip on a Honda 360 twin.  some trip.  I think I did everything but stand on my head on the handle bars trying to get away from the vibration.  no freeway then old highway 90 all the way. It was a two day trip that I would have sworn took 30 years.   all this to saw plan around your ride...  My bet & win 250 rides like a caddy compared to that 360.  rode most all of my adult life. Just in the last two years switched to the scoot..   love it   love it
scootenalong in
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 01:09:50 AM »
In the mid 70's (when I was a lot younger and hopefully a lot dumber )

+1

...lmao

;D

switched to the scoot..   love it   love it

..welcome to th hood!!

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 02:19:11 AM »
Vivo made 2 good points:
1. Also by staying on the right or left of your lane you can see further up, your view is not blocked by car right in front, means more time to react. One disadvantage though, less time to react when cage cut you off.
2. High beam or low beam: I choose high beam on my motorcycle and low beam on my Grand Vista because it has passing switch that works only if I am on low beam.

By the way, I ride M/C all my life, bought super8 150 and now GV. Love it. My M/C rider friends just do not get it.
Also funny thing is my total insurance rate for both Motorcycle and first Scooter was lower than just M/C

Ben ( the new kid in town )

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 03:07:36 AM »

2. High beam or low beam: I choose high beam on my motorcycle and low beam on my Grand Vista because it has passing switch that works only if I am on low beam.

Welcome to the forum Ben...

Maybe in the Grand Vista, they made that as a safety feature because most if not all of bikes I see with high beams on, the turn signals can't be seen...

Made this on my Super 8 recently...  installed a separate switch to turn on my brake light... so when I see a speeding scoot behind, I just flick the switch and accelerate at WOT! Lol! I can see him getting farther and farther back... works all the time...  ;D ;D ;D ... my latest victim was a CB400...

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 12:07:33 AM »
Now I have to go out and check my turn signals with the highs on.   But not now with the temp at 12F.  ;D ;D

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()