Author Topic: Ever see the road signs Dancing in the Dark?  (Read 260 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Ever see the road signs Dancing in the Dark?
« on: January 09, 2022, 12:08:14 PM »
Not sure how much my head wind was this morning, but it had the road signs twisting and dancing and flashing on my rainy ride this morning.
Mainly noticeable on the silvery back side of signs on the left shoulder of the road.
Stig
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 12:13:14 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: Ever see the road signs Dancing in the Dark?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 04:35:12 PM »
Yep, BTDT.

I've been out on my bike or scooter when the winds were very high and the signs were doing the crazy dance.

Once on my Gold Wing, with my wife riding pillion, we were out for a nice ride. I knew a storm front was coming but it was at least 3-4 hours away... or so I thought. I rode due south for a little then due west. A few miles after I was headed west it was very apparent that front was coming in a LOT faster than I thought. The high wind front was coming straight out of the west. I hit a 50 mph wall of wind straight on... fortunately. But then it was almost calm after that. But with the really dark cloud bank coming on we turned around and I wailed on the throttle to try and beat it home. A few miles heading east I passed through that wall of high wing AGAIN but going in the same direction so it actually pushed me along for a little. Then I had to turn north to get home and, yep, once again that wall of 50 mph wind caught up. Only this time I was headed north and that high wind blast was coming directly sideways across my path. It is weird leaning WAY over like I was in a tight curve but still going straight and not falling down!. Oh, and just as we pulled into the garage the rain started, hard.

Another time I saw the signs doing that dance I was headed back from a camping trip on my CTX1300. The skies turned a real ugly color that I knew too well living in the MidWest so I pull into a small truck stop along with a group of Harley riders who had been there a little while. I have no problem riding in the rain but when the rain and wind and color of the clouds indicate to take shelter I generally look for shelter. Turns out there was a tornado only 5 miles away from where I stopped.

There have been a few other times I've been out riding in high winds but those two are the worse conditions. But I was able to manage them all so far.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

stuo

• View Profile
Re: Ever see the road signs Dancing in the Dark?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 08:32:42 PM »
My experience with strong winds taught me the danger of a handlebar mounted wind screen.

I was riding a 1974 MotoGuzzi Eldorado with a large Harley windscreen bolted to the handlebars. I was on my way to a rally in Arizona on a two lane highway going around 70 with occasional 18 wheelers coming the other direction. As they passed by me the wind gust would almost force me off the road. I got the lesson: slow way down when trucks approached and...cut the windscreen down if and when I survived the trip.

I now only own and ride bikes with body mounted windscreens.
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()