Author Topic: Sad wind blowing rain sideways this morning....  (Read 310 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Sad wind blowing rain sideways this morning....
« on: December 11, 2021, 10:19:05 PM »
I rolled out at 5:30AM into a band of moderate-to-heavy rain. Strong winds were blowing everything sideways in the beam of my Liberty's headlight this morning--- bursts of heavy rain, leaves, branches - stuff not long enough in the beam for me to register....
Not a problem - but it got my attention.
No deer, of course. Only scooter riders out in this stuff - though, admittedly, damn few of them :)

And then I learned once safe home - that many of my fellow citizens were harmed by these same winds.
Very sad business.

I took 154 photos this morning - and it was hard to keep the camera dry for most of them.

Arrived 1/2hr early .......Dino's not open....but I could smell the coffee brewing in there ("Kenyan A", today)

My Nolan kept me dry and fog-free - as the rain clicked mightily on it at even my modest speeds.

The second band I rode through on my way home was....@18 mins of ..."Je ne sais quoi ~!" as it attacked me from my left front (Karl, what is that in Navy-speak?)

These two - I'm almost blown dry before heading home into the above, before the 2nd excitement.

Thoughts and prayers for all those others.

Major Tom

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 10:21:21 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Sad wind blowing rain sideways this morning....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 01:56:14 AM »
I like the last picture with the clouds in particular,  looks like a brochure photo. 

Unfortunately I had wind damage at the house. Sixty- three feet of cedar privacy fence was blown down. Since I can't repair it I hired a contractor to put up a new fence.  We had 84 mph winds. Russell had 91 mph winds. Thankfully no damage to the house or trees.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 02:45:30 AM »
I like the last picture with the clouds in particular,  looks like a brochure photo. 

Unfortunately I had wind damage at the house. Sixty- three feet of cedar privacy fence was blown down. Since I can't repair it I hired a contractor to put up a new fence.  We had 84 mph winds. Russell had 91 mph winds. Thankfully no damage to the house or trees.

Kansas Kymco, we got hit the same storm that got you, only our winds were less at only 50-70. My 'new 2 days before, 8 ft cedar privacy fence' luckily survived...I was concerned it wouldn't.

Sorry to hear of your damage. These storms are getting crazy.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 03:25:16 AM »

Kansas Kymco, we got hit the same storm that got you, only our winds were less at only 50-70. My 'new 2 days before, 8 ft cedar privacy fence' luckily survived...I was concerned it wouldn't.

Sorry to hear of your damage. These storms are getting crazy.

Yep, same here. Blew through on Wednesday. 65-70 steady wind and 80+ mph gusts here before the thunderstorm/tornadoes and again after. As if all that wind gathered into the 9-11 tornadoes that hit the west and central parts of Iowa during the storm and then spread out into straight line wind before and after. Some points both north and south of me had 90+ mph gusts. About 75-80 ft of neighbor's privacy fence blown down across the street to the west of my home. Much other damage all around the area but not so much in my neighborhood other than that fence. I already lost all but one tree from the Derecho winds last year (over 120 mph straight line winds for that) and that one tree still survived this storm.

Must have blown all the way from the SouthWest coast.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 03:27:14 AM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()