Author Topic: "You meet the nicest people....  (Read 1387 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
"You meet the nicest people....
« on: June 07, 2014, 06:10:23 PM »
Honda's advertising campaign in the 60's was brilliant.
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda!"
Pretty effectively erased a lot of the negative image that motorcycles & their greasy, impolite riders had developed in the 40' and 50's.
It worked for me.... my first wheels of any kind was a new white Honda 90, probably the best thing with 2 wheels that I will ever own. That engine is probably still ticking over somewhere in New England.
Honda started small ( I remember a Buick dealer in Boston that gave away a free Honda car with every purchase of a Park Avenue) and built superb small bikes. My Hondas* could sit in the rain all night and fire instantly the next morning for my ride to the Army post. My buddies British and American bikes were subject to quitting if it clouded up. Paint, welds, wiring & connectors were a bench mark for other makes. Fast?, no but superbly engineered and manufactured.
(* plural? Yep, my fellow Texans kept stealing my Hondas.)
This safety film produced by Honda in the 1960's is actually pretty good - as the hazards then and now have not changed for scooters and motorcycles.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: "You meet the nicest people....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:00:56 AM »
If I were Roy I would drive a tank. Everyone is trying to run the poor guy down.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

arcanum70

• View Profile
Re: "You meet the nicest people....
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 03:48:04 AM »
Thanks for posting this video...that was very entertaining.  I like the super cub she was on...I had one of those YEARS ago. 

Ahh, motorcycles, helping guys pick up chicks since 1907.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()