Author Topic: Heated Grip's on the way to Kat!  (Read 889 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
Heated Grip's on the way to Kat!
« on: May 11, 2017, 04:40:42 PM »
  What do ya all think about heated grips?  It is always pretty chilly here in Canada even in summer months at times it is chilly.
Kat :)

Nireen

• View Profile
Re: Heated Grip's on the way to Kat!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »
Do you know if it is hard to remove the grips that are on the bike now?

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
Best I've ever had is welder's leather gauntlets from an industrial supply house...
They are far less expensive than most motorcycle gloves, especially the electric heated ones.
The guys burning lbs of rod a day use rough, coarse gloves, but the precision tig welders use some very nice soft leather gloves with plush padding. CyberWeld is a good place to begin a search online.
redk

MOF, the diy cut-off plastic bottle tops used as a wind shield would be helpful in bitter-cold wind temps.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 05:01:03 PM »
I shall check those out.  How would one attach the bottle to the bike though?  The downtown has no place really??

Best I've ever had is welder's leather gauntlets from an industrial supply house...
They are far less expensive than most motorcycle gloves, especially the electric heated ones.
The guys burning lbs of rod a day use rough, coarse gloves, but the precision tig welders use some very nice soft leather gloves with plush padding. CyberWeld is a good place to begin a search online.
redk

MOF, the diy cut-off plastic bottle tops used as a wind shield would be helpful in bitter-cold wind temps.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 05:03:48 PM »
Kat, instead of using flame to remove grips, (always treacherous!), I have had gud luck boiling a small pan of water, and pouring it over a rag wrapped around the grip.
Works well going both directions !

I'd sooner have a heated glove than a heated grip...  that I would be grabbing with an insulated glove.

And here's the muffs?
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxford-rainseal-handlebar-muffs-for-motorcycles?gclid=CLLloq-o6NMCFdC4wAodQIUNiA

You might ask the smarter guys if your battery/alternator is large enough to support these...
redk

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »
Kat, I can't find a stock pic quickly...

Imagine a 1 gal bleach jug...
Slice it at an angle to remove then entire bottom and much of one side...
Then, make a slit in the top part so the small opening may be spread apart in a C shape to slip it over the handlebars.
Use a cable tie to hold it on, at that small screw cap section...

Hope that's clear enough ?
redk

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 05:28:22 PM »
Yes I am aware of these and the garage never likes these things.  They say they are hard to deal with and always in the way when your trying to get your hands in and out of them.  So I listened to them and got the heated grips.

Kat, instead of using flame to remove grips, (always treacherous!), I have had gud luck boiling a small pan of water, and pouring it over a rag wrapped around the grip.
Works well going both directions !

I'd sooner have a heated glove than a heated grip...  that I would be grabbing with an insulated glove.

And here's the muffs?
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxford-rainseal-handlebar-muffs-for-motorcycles?gclid=CLLloq-o6NMCFdC4wAodQIUNiA

You might ask the smarter guys if your battery/alternator is large enough to support these...
redk

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
I think I get it somewhat.  I am a visual learner so would be good to see this. :)

Kat, I can't find a stock pic quickly...

Imagine a 1 gal bleach jug...
Slice it at an angle to remove then entire bottom and much of one side...
Then, make a slit in the top part so the small opening may be spread apart in a C shape to slip it over the handlebars.
Use a cable tie to hold it on, at that small screw cap section...

Hope that's clear enough ?
redk

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 08:38:11 PM »
I love my heated grips! One of the best bike purchases I have made. I just cut the old grips off (I wasn't saving them anyway) and installed the new grips. Here's the ones I got. Only wiring necessary is to positive and negative of the battery. No relays to fool with. If you forget to turn them off, they turn themselves off before draining the battery.

http://oxford-products.com/us/categories/Heated-Grips-%7B47%7D-Hot-Hands-/?price_min=81&price_max=100&sort=priceasc
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:42:27 PM »
Very nice thanks for sharing!  I look forward to the warmth early in the mornings when I like to leave on trips. :) I already ordered mine and the garage will install for me.  These one's are double the price as the one's I got.  Nicer yours are and easier to install I see.

I love my heated grips! One of the best bike purchases I have made. I just cut the old grips off (I wasn't saving them anyway) and installed the new grips. Here's the ones I got. Only wiring necessary is to positive and negative of the battery. No relays to fool with. If you forget to turn them off, they turn themselves off before draining the battery.

http://oxford-products.com/us/categories/Heated-Grips-%7B47%7D-Hot-Hands-/?price_min=81&price_max=100&sort=priceasc

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 12:54:32 AM »
You will love the heated grips Kat. FYI...they sometimes work best with gloves that are not too thick, especially in the underside area.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 02:33:06 AM »
wow!  Luxurious!
Will this be the Plush journey ?
:-)
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()