Author Topic: Kymco People 250 idles very high  (Read 1147 times)

Diamante

• View Profile
Kymco People 250 idles very high
« on: November 29, 2015, 12:05:55 AM »
Due to illness, I had to store my Kymco People 250 in storage for two years. A couple of months ago, I took it out of storage, had a new battery put in and everything gone over at a $332 cost. When I got it back, it was extremely hard to start. I bought some Ocean Foam and put that in with a full tank of gas. Didn't help. It would take a constant trying for nearly 10 minutes before I finally got it to start. A few days ago, it now starts right away, but the idle is very high. I tried waiting up to 5 minutes and it would not go back to normal. The temperature outside is 65 degrees. I haven't yet tried to ride it until I can understand why it's doing this. I have to firmly hold on the brake handle or it wants to take off. That's how high the idle is. I am perplexed. Anybody?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco People 250 idles very high
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:16:59 AM »
I think this is a carburetor engine and the throttle is probably gummed up and won't return fully to the stop.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:53:21 PM »
Did you try to take it out and ride it? I would try to take it around the block and see if it will flush the gunk out with the increased fuel flow and temps. Let us know how it turned out.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Diamante

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 04:09:23 AM »
Well now, suddenly, and after I turned the idle way down to normal, it starts and runs great. Whatever it was, it probably had something to do with either the choke was clogged than freed, or after using Ocean Foam, it took a while but cleared any gunk built up from sitting two years...

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:41:28 PM »
it took a while but cleared any gunk built up from sitting two years...
If it is carbed then there shouldn't have been any gunk in it if you paid over$300 to get it checked out. Cleaning the carb should have been part of that cost. My guess is the idle was never adjusted correctly after they reassembled. Sounds to me all you did was adjust the idle and all is well. Correct? Happy riding.
Wayne

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »
Glad to hear you got that Gremlin taken care of! I hope you have continued good health and Merry Christmas. It may or may not have had anything to do with improving your idle, but that "Ocean Foam" is good stuff.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()