Author Topic: HID conversion to my Kymco Xciting 500  (Read 4196 times)

RURC

• View Profile
HID conversion to my Kymco Xciting 500
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:15:40 PM »
Hello all. what I have here is a 45 minute upgrade that i feel anyone can do. This is simple and direct. If you can run a screwdriver you can do this with half your brain tied behind your back.

Here is the scooter with the OEM headlamp bulb installed.

First thing you have to do is locate all the screws that hold on the front cowell of you bike. To make this easier I have photos of their locations. Please remove the front one last and install it first when going back together.

Be careful with the screws. I did brake one while tightening it too much. So use caution.

Now unplug the harness and then take your headlamp assembly to a large bench to work from. So here is the back side of the cowell looking at the rear of the headlamp assembly.
Here I have installed the HID bulb already but you get the idea.

Here are the new and old bulbs going in and the next photo is of the wire harness that comes with the HID bulb. The bulb fits like a glove.

This is how I laid out the harness in the cowell. I had to try 3 different times to get it right. The sub frame parts on the bike kept on getting in the way so this is where everything ended up.

Here is the front view once reassembled.

Now if you look here you will see the beam from old first then the beam from old.

These photos were take about 45 minutes apart inside my shop at about 11am and 11:45am. Bright and sunny outside here in Florida and no lights on in the shop. all ambient lighting is from skylights.

Here is the front view side by side.

Here is a link to the videos I shot both are less than 2 minutes. this is really a very easy install and the difference will be huge. I will post photos and videos during the night of the finished product.

Forgive all the background noise I was running the autoclave during all this and it is noisy even more so with the heaters on.

Here is the euro style headlamp housing.

This is not my image. I am using it only to show the euro style headlamp housing.

In any event have fun and do this upgrade to your bike.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: HID conversion to my Kymco Xciting 500
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »
Man! Nice job!
I don't have one of these - but if I did your pics and encouragement would surely push me to do this.
You ever want to do some mods on a LIKE 200i - please post 'em!
The parts and new harness all come as a unit?
Price & part number?
Thanks again for taking the time to post this!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

RURC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:40:14 AM »
Man! Nice job!
I don't have one of these - but if I did your pics and encouragement would surely push me to do this.
You ever want to do some mods on a LIKE 200i - please post 'em!
The parts and new harness all come as a unit?
Price & part number?
Thanks again for taking the time to post this!
Stig

The only problem is that I dont have a 200i nor do I know anyone with one. The light can complete, bulb and full harness. I have put these in my Explorer and Axiom also. This kit is great. I get them from a friend who buys like 50 sets at a time. They come from China but the quality has been very good. Cost is $50.00 for bulb and harness assembly. For an extra $12 you get a spare bulb also. He says he might start selling them on eBay but he has not yet.

You can see from the photos that the beam pattern is very similar to the OEM unit just brighter and wider.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »
Since I'm a sissy mary, I have to say I love the paint job. :-* And since I only have 1/2 a brain, I will be un-able to perform this task any time soon. :-*

RURC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
Since I'm a sissy mary, I have to say I love the paint job. :-* And since I only have 1/2 a brain, I will be un-able to perform this task any time soon. :-*

It is literally as easy as it looks. This was the simplest up grade I have done. If you can turn a screwdriver you can do this.

On the paint job it was done in memory of my mom. She had breast cancer. I ride it in the rallies around here. Everyone gives me funny looks till I tell them the story then they understand and even the hardest Harley rider understands.

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 01:32:30 AM »
Cool paint job even without the story; the story makes it outstanding.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

bountybuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 02:46:55 AM »
Thanks very much for your in depth post.  I think even a half brain dead old guy like me could do it.  I sure do like your Xciting 500.  My wife like it to so I'm thinking about it.  Ride safe my friend.

RURC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 01:59:53 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words.

speedee86

• 2012 Kymco Xciting 500 RI ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 02:34:14 AM »
Nice work and nice walk through. Like the custom paint job graphics ;)
I only swapped in a super white/blueish bulb in mine. But I like it. Hid always looks awesome though.
always leave yourself an exit incase you get stuck in a pinch. RIDE SAFE!

RURC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 01:22:45 AM »
Nice work and nice walk through. Like the custom paint job graphics ;)
I only swapped in a super white/blueish bulb in mine. But I like it. Hid always looks awesome though.

It makes a big difference at night. Everything reflects so much better. I will get photos when I have a clear night.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()