Author Topic: Which Gas do you use for kymco s8!!!  (Read 7908 times)

5oo

• View Profile
Re: Which Gas do you use for kymco s8!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 01:52:13 AM »
i dont want open new topic i would like to know when is time to change oil? my dealer told me to come after 600miles? it is ok>??
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:54:39 AM by 5oo »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 12:04:22 PM »
You are supposed to do the first oil change at 300KM (180 miles). 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

5oo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 01:34:55 PM »
You are supposed to do the first oil change at 300KM (180 miles). 
Oh wow really?they told me 600miles suckz

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »
The first oil change is the most important because that new engine is going to be wearing off uneven surfaces more than at any other time - and hopefully carrying away the remnants in the oil.  Most manufacturers suggest 500 miles for the first oil changes - but I normally do mine closer to the 180 miles that Kymco suggests anyway.

Especially since you don't have an oil filter - I would suggest you replace your stock drain plug with a magnetic drain plug.

http://enviromoto.ecrater.com/p/9784742/magnetic-oil-drain-bolt-kit

Even though most of the engine parts are aluminum - I always catch stuff on my drain bolt magnets.  The transmission is probably the largest source.  The wearing off of those bits is normal and good - having those bits get against piston sleeves or valve guides is not.  On bikes with filters I've used magnetic oil filter wraps - but the drain bolt magnets seem to catch more.  I would guess it is because the oil is moving through the filter really fast, whereas it moves through the pan much slower.

Magnetic drain bolts are one of those things that can get a lot of people debating.  But most people will agree that BMW motorcycles are some of the longest lasting engines - and every BMW motorcycle comes from the factory with a magnetic drain bolt...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

5oo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »
The first oil change is the most important because that new engine is going to be wearing off uneven surfaces more than at any other time - and hopefully carrying away the remnants in the oil.  Most manufacturers suggest 500 miles for the first oil changes - but I normally do mine closer to the 180 miles that Kymco suggests anyway.

Especially since you don't have an oil filter - I would suggest you replace your stock drain plug with a magnetic drain plug.

http://enviromoto.ecrater.com/p/9784742/magnetic-oil-drain-bolt-kit

Even though most of the engine parts are aluminum - I always catch stuff on my drain bolt magnets.  The transmission is probably the largest source.  The wearing off of those bits is normal and good - having those bits get against piston sleeves or valve guides is not.  On bikes with filters I've used magnetic oil filter wraps - but the drain bolt magnets seem to catch more.  I would guess it is because the oil is moving through the filter really fast, whereas it moves through the pan much slower.

Magnetic drain bolts are one of those things that can get a lot of people debating.  But most people will agree that BMW motorcycles are some of the longest lasting engines - and every BMW motorcycle comes from the factory with a magnetic drain bolt...

ok so what i suppose to do wait till i hit 500 miles or do it on mine own? but now i have about 160miles already and when i order tat magnetic drain plug it takes few days and then i will break warranty if i do it on mine own no???
btw when i bought last weekend s8 after one hour i checked tires and on rear tire was cracked like this,,,
i went to back dealer and they told me it was mine fault.. mechanic said i slash it or i ran over something,, they said they will send pics to kymco,,, if i ran over something i would get flat,,,duh,,,
so i dk what i supposed to do now,, i am stuck pretty much
yes bmw has best engines no matter what!!! either is car or bike,,!!

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 07:00:18 PM »
Eeek - that tire is not safe.  I would replace it ASAP.  Unfortunately - it looks to me as though you went over something at an angle and came down on the sidewall first - ripping into the sidewall and then up to the tread.  Not the tire or the manufacturer's fault...  I've done that to tires on offroad vehicles more often than I would care to admit.

Doing your own maintenance does not void your warranty - you just need to keep track of it.  Keep the receipts from buying your oil, and keep a log of when you changed it (date and mileage).  Order the drain plug and put it in at your next oil change after you get it.  Do your 180 mile oil change whether you have the plug or not.  Oil changes are cheap and easy to do - and they are the best thing to do to keep your engine running well.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

5oo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »
well i drove about  20 miles, honestly  i do not recall i would run over something.
ok so what kind of oil is good??

alandok85

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 12:38:49 AM »
No that's a defective tire, the dealer should replace it for free.  It is almost impossible to get that type of damage from scraping a medium or speed bump. It slit like a rotted old dunlop on a bike that's been barned for twenty years. Anyway I use racing quality castrol gtx full synth 5w-50 some guys say synthetic oil is bad for gy6 engines but I've had two gy 6 bikes and never had a problem with them burning out or blowing up like one guy warned me about. It really sounds rediculous when you think about it.

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »
Ethanol has about 40% of the power of gasoline per gallon.  It's used in gas because it does burn VERY clean and it helps to "oxygenate" the gasoline which in turn helps it burn clean... You do lose a little Horsepower and or MPG when you start replacing gasoline with ethanol.  If 10% is only 40% as powerful... you should lose about 0.6MPG per 10mpg... so about 4MPG lost (assuming your getting 70mpg which I do, you might get 74mpg with pure gasoline).  The cost of "pure" gasoline is higher because there are no government subsidies on "pure" gasoline but there is on "cleaner" burning gasoline.  If your trying to save money, buy the mixed gas (FYI, Chevron uses MTBE instead of ethanol... same results) as the gain in MPG is not enough in pure gasoline to offset the extra price.  If your going to the race track, buy pure gasoline... it has the most "bang".  The cleaner burning gasolines are going to leave less deposits in your engine and will extend its life and reduce the maintenance... just something to consider (and hopefully make you feel a little better about it :P)
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 01:43:12 AM »
97 Octane Non-Ethanol.

scooterman11

• View Profile
Which Gas do you use for kymco s8!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »
I only use premium with a NGK iridium plug she's always happy performance wise this way, with 87 she was supper fussy

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »
My 2012 Yager's manual specifically prohibits using any Ethanol. I emailed Kymco to
see if it was an old manual (says 2008) but they said it hasn't changed they will not
warrenty motor problems caused by Ethanol....
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 06:21:02 PM »
you can't get non-ethanol in bloody california. i tried 87/91 it seems to me that while using 91 the engine noise is 'smoother'
on the other side, you can't fill more then 1gal usually, so probably by the time you get 91 you tank is full by whatever the previous car has tanked - i would try to tank after somebody tanked 91

ginger cat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 06:45:38 PM »

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 05:13:20 AM »
Thanks for the link to the magnetic plug... have one on order now :)

Ethanol is less powerful but it burns cleaner and usually not as hot unless the engine is designed for it.  You won't notice the difference in a scooter.  If you change the spark plugs to hotter plugs, you might need more octane, but that is the plug.  I went with a plug that was slightly hotter since it was very black when I checked it after 1000 miles during the winter.  Figured the hotter plug would burn through that old gas with less trouble and it worked really well.

If you use Chevron, which uses MTBE, it might actually run better in a GY6.  MTBE was highly rated for helping gas burn efficiently (in a carburetor) in tests done in the early 80's... but it doesn't help fuel injection (all cars produced since those tests were originally done).  But your scooter is still using a carburetor so it could still work for you. Techron also helps clean your engine in the presence of MTBE to prevent deposits, which is why they don't use ethanol.

If you don't have the understanding to bore your own engines and tune your own parts with lathes and mills, you probably don't have the ability to make your scooter run better on pure gasoline.  The GY6 is solid with whatever comes out of the pump as is because it is not a highly tuned engine; it is not sensitive to gas blends.  There are seasonal changes in gas formulations which can result in a "bad" tank of gas but only get concerned if it keeps happening.  And of course, watch out for old fuel... the gas today doesn't do well after sitting for a few months. Kymco is CARB certified to run in California which is mostly only gasoline blended with some ethanol... but it's still gasoline.  When you ask Kymco about ethanol fuel, they are only referencing ethanol, or E85 blend (which is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline), not gasoline with ethanol (which is about 10% ethanol).  Your warranty is completely fine with regular gasoline even if a little ethanol is blended into it.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()