Author Topic: Going back to the shop, again  (Read 6358 times)

91cavgt

• View Profile
Going back to the shop, again
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:38:01 PM »
Well, for the third time since I bought my Like, I have to take it back to the shop to get warranty work done.  This time my muffler is cracked.  I rode today for the first time in about a week and I noticed some sounds I had not heard before, and the exhaust sounded slightly different.  So, upon closer inspection this is what I found;

So, tomorrow I'll be going to the shop to see if they can order a new exhaust under warranty for my Like.  Hopefully they will allow me to continue to ride it until the exhaust comes in.  The next 5 days are supposed to be clear and in the 70s.  It's crazy because school was delayed today due to ice on the roads!!  Texas weather is crazy like that. 

So, to recap: 

1st trip to the shop was to replace a defective throttle cable at about 1500 miles. 

2nd trip to the shop was to diagnose bad hesitation and a check engine light.

3rd trip to the shop was to actually fix the hesitation and check engine light instead of just clear the code. 

4th trip will be to get the exhaust replaced. 

For any new people reading this thread, my experience with the Like 200i is NOT the typical experience.  I have had more problems with mine than anyone else.  I also ride my Like harder than anyone on here, so having more problems is expected. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

91cavgt

• View Profile
Re: Going back to the shop, again
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »
"Now that is a crack!!!" is what the service guy said when he looked at the muffler on my Like this morning.  He told me it is probably going to take about 2 weeks to get a new one in.  In the mean time, he said I can keep riding it, so I intend to since we are having some great riding weather!
2012 Like 200i  in black

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:26:52 PM »
Well, the crack has gotten a lot larger.  Fiberglass packing inside of the muffler is now coming out of the crack, and so the exhaust is now a LOT louder, but mostly it is deeper.  To me it sounds GREAT!!   This solidifies my decision to get a pipe on my Like!! 

Also, I was able to hit 68 mph today with a very strong tail wind!  Maybe the exhaust leak has given a little bit of a power increase. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 05:55:13 AM »
Go to your local auto parts store and buy exhaust leak tape. That should hold you until you can get a new one.

Tomorrow, Saturday, I have an appointment with my dealer for warranty work. The seal behind the variator has a slight leak. This will be my 3rd warranty claim. The first two were for defective batteries. I can't really complain though. Nothing serious just minor annoyances. While they're replacing the seal I'm going to have them replace the belt and rollers. I was going to put sliders in, but they need to order and I don't want to delay getting the seal replaced so I'll hold off on the sliders until my 9,000 mile service when I open up the CVT cover to blow out the accumulated belt dust.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »
Go to your local auto parts store and buy exhaust leak tape. That should hold you until you can get a new one.

Tomorrow, Saturday, I have an appointment with my dealer for warranty work. The seal behind the variator has a slight leak. This will be my 3rd warranty claim. The first two were for defective batteries. I can't really complain though. Nothing serious just minor annoyances. While they're replacing the seal I'm going to have them replace the belt and rollers. I was going to put sliders in, but they need to order and I don't want to delay getting the seal replaced so I'll hold off on the sliders until my 9,000 mile service when I open up the CVT cover to blow out the accumulated belt dust.
TroutBum,
Is this the seal you are getting replaced?

I was looking at the clutch repair, and various other parts.....then checked the price list. Unless your therapy is rebuilding stuff - spending $95 for a new clutch, fully assembled and ready to slip on seems to be the way to go. Very reasonable parts prices for stock items. Although, I'm sure others will take exception with that thought.
Would be neat if you could talk the mechanic into taking a snap of the seal when he gets in there - but he might object - thinking we don't trust him.
Good luck - still without snow, eh? - poor fellow. I can Fedex you a yard full.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »
The seal behind the variator has a slight leak.
Perhaps highlighting the attributes of synthetics?

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »
Perhaps highlighting the attributes of synthetics?

Nope. According to  the tech it was a defective seal.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:18:34 PM »
I'm bummed, the distributor sent the wrong part and now my scooter waits at the shop until Tuesday when they can call Kymco USA on an eta on a replacement. I hope this is not going to end up taking weeks or months like some of the horror stories I've read. I know Kymco parts distribution in the USA isn't the greatest.  On a recent order I placed the valve cover gasket was on back order for nearly two months.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:23:04 PM »
I'm bummed, the distributor sent the wrong part and now my scooter waits at the shop until Tuesday when they can call Kymco USA on an eta on a replacement. I hope this is not going to end up taking weeks or months like some of the horror stories I've read. I know Kymco parts distribution in the USA isn't the greatest.  On a recent order I placed the valve cover gasket was on back order for nearly two months.
Sorry to hear about that Troutbum,
The only delay, and incorrect part, issues I've ever experienced were when I ordered Kymco OEM parts through the parts desk at my dealer.
Whenever I've ordered the parts through my on-line supplier (  http://www.motorsportmonster.com/p/Scooter-Parts ) the parts were correct and rec'd in a timely manner. (roller weights, valve cover gasket, belt cover gasket, F & R brake pads, belt,  CVT nuts, headlight bulb, plug, air filter, dip stick, etc.)
I think part of the problem was - paying in advance for the parts > removes their interest in carefully sending the order, and in a timely manner. 'Cause it's a scooter....
They are nice fellows - just kinda hard to get their full attention if you're not talking Ducati, or Gold Wing Trikes.
I do love the Ducatis - kinda wish they'd make some scooters.
I continue to find scooter places that recommend Amsoil Scooter Synthetic, etc. over Dino oil. I didn't know synthetic ran a few degrees cooler - good for aircooled engines.
Good luck!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 01:27:19 AM »
TroutBum,
Is this the seal you are getting replaced?

I was looking at the clutch repair, and various other parts.....then checked the price list. Unless your therapy is rebuilding stuff - spending $95 for a new clutch, fully assembled and ready to slip on seems to be the way to go. Very reasonable parts prices for stock items. Although, I'm sure others will take exception with that thought.
Would be neat if you could talk the mechanic into taking a snap of the seal when he gets in there - but he might object - thinking we don't trust him.
Good luck - still without snow, eh? - poor fellow. I can Fedex you a yard full.
Stig

Not exactly sure from the diagram, but I believe that is the seal if it is the one directly behind the variator.

Stig, I use the same online source as you and have had items backordered, but not the fault of the seller. They are at the mercy of the importer. Thankfully the fair weather riding season is still a month away so I'm not too bummed being unable to ride this weekend.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 07:10:13 AM »
Got the call today. Parts are in route. Should be riding by the weekend.  8)

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:24 AM »
I went to the dealer today because the crack got MUCH worse, and the exhaust was rattling REALLY bad.  It sounded like I was dragging a bunch of tin cans behind me.  So they pull up the tracking on my new muffler and find out it is stuck in Minnesota, or Michigan because of all the winter weather they've had up there.  It is currently in UPS's hands.  So once things clear up, it can be shipped down here and I'll have it within 3 days. 

The big problem though is that the muffler developed more cracks and was VERY loose, even though all of the bolts were tight.  So, the service guy says he can either take the muffler off, or I can keep riding it and WHEN it falls off, recover it and bring it in.  However, knowing my luck, a big truck would be behind me and would run over the muffler thus destroying it in the process which could put my warranty claim in jeopardy.  So, I had them remove the muffler.  The tech took the back lower bolt out, and the muffler just fell off!!!!  Here is how it looks now...........

Needless to say, I am NOT riding it early in the morning or late at night as I would wake up every neighbor I've got!  I also had to go buy some ear plugs because it is so loud that it hurt my ears badly, just riding it 1/2 a mile to the closest sporting goods store.  So it looks like I'll be driving my truck for the next few days.  :(   
2012 Like 200i  in black

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 01:14:20 AM »
Ohh, it went from a small crack to falling off all within 300 miles of riding. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 01:39:56 AM »
So, with this new eBay "sport free-flow LIKE200i exhaust" - did you get any more RPM's or HP's, or at least some more MPG's?
Put some pants on it, Andy ~! - that's quite a sight!
Hang in there '91 -!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 02:19:41 AM »

..that is un friking reall...

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()