Author Topic: About variator belt change  (Read 2454 times)

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
About variator belt change
« on: April 14, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »
I bought month ago Like 50 4t year 2011, and have no idea how it has been serviced or not. Guestion: When should variator belt change to new, now scooter has 11 850 km, and limited speed is around 45 kmh max. Thanks!
Seeking used Kymco moped scooter

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
Re: About variator belt change
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »
About the kickstarter: should in come up automatically after kicking? This one does not, need to get back up position by hand.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »
Yes, when you are at your Kymco dealer getting new belt and roller weights for your 9 yr old scooter - ask about a return spring for your kick-starter. Seems like yours is tired.
Welcome to the forum!
Stig
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:13:46 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 10:58:56 AM »
Thanks Stig! I found new belt, Gates Boost for 27 € from local motorparts store, that is ok. Roller weights is more difficult, what weight are correct for my scooter, I want basic ones. There is no Kymco dealer right now as I understood, but tehe is luckily small machine maintenance for a reasonable price as I asked nearby. He asked 25€ for chancing belt, but the rollers need to newed now also as you said.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 11:01:49 PM »
I'm not finding the rollers for your scooter.
Ebay, amazon, alibaba?
Might remove, weigh and measure them?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »
Rollers from the local store ( 6 pieces 15€) are available, but the weight is between 3 - 10 grams a piece, so the only thing is just like you said, measure the old ones when chancing the belt.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 04:02:30 PM »
Rollers from the local store ( 6 pieces 15€) are available, but the weight is between 3 - 10 grams a piece, so the only thing is just like you said, measure the old ones when chancing the belt.
I used to go to the post office and use the scale in the lobby to weigh my rollers. Then go up or down in weight when buying new.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 06:25:41 AM »
On the Finnish scooterside skootterini.com they said, that 4T is 8.5 g and 2T is 6.5 as originals. I ll buy that.
EDIT: My rollers in 4T were 6.5 grams, we changed new Malossi 7 grams, works perfect now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:24:58 PM by Like50 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 05:28:00 PM »
On the Finnish scooterside skootterini.com they said, that 4T is 8.5 g and 2T is 6.5 as originals. I ll buy that.
There you go!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 08:48:04 AM »
I have rode now in eight months 5 tkm without any service whatsoever  8) ::) ;D everything is working fine, steering lock needs some gunoil perhaps but I use disc brake alarm lock instead. Now, when autumn hits hard here, the roads arevery slippery and I therefor guess riding will be minimum basic foodstore and back till next spring. Althought, due to corona I will not use public transport at all, so I guess there will be few wet rides but not so long, hopefully rain instead of snow  8) Lets see how scooter will work now when it gets colder, battery is fulland I thought to chance the basic gasoline to "four stroke small engine petrol" that they sell nearby, pricing like eight euros per gallon includes 75 % tax  :o

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 09:44:04 PM »
Thank you for followup! A good rain suit is a worthy investment since you are without public transport. A rain suit is good for cold days, too! Sunny and warm year round in Helsinki? I have had a nylon rain suit for several years that still is good for the occasional shower.

Send pictures of your surroundings since few of us have been to Finland!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 07:37:24 AM »
I can take pics during autumn/winter and then add here some, when the time comes. This pic is from last february when scooter just bought and driven home. Few degreers below zero celsisus, mixed snow/water on the ground, just a bit, and darkness more than half of a day. Trip home was 20 km, roads were good winter condition so I thought why not to drive instead of using van. Rain suit was, and still is, good quality and warm enough, ankles and wrists also taken care.
 Seems that year by year, the snowy winter times are fading, althought here in the city near by the sea warmness. Black christmas is mo longer rare, makes a year round riding possible in the big picture. For me it suits well.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »
Thanks for the photo --- please consider adding photos of your scooter and your country to the "Eye Candy/ Videos and Pics" heading.
We really enjoy seeing Kymcos out and about - around the globe!!

Ride safe on those slippery roads!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 03:53:49 PM »
We changed belt and rollers today for 50cc 4stroke Like year 2011, 45 kmh version. We measured the old ones, they were 6.3 gram, so originally 6.5 gram we thought, and new ones are 7 grams Malossi. Acseleration is a bit slow, but +15 kmh and above very good and does max speed without slippering or very high rpm.
So, in this very Like year 2011 4stroke, roller weight originally is 6.5 gram not 8.5 as said/thought earlier, that is the main point in this post.
Belt, propably original with Kymco label was, after 17 750 km(!) in 10 years, in working shape but thick. Dont know how much but eye sure can tell. Will be spare part if needed in the future.
Safe rides and early spring for everyone!

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 08:32:24 PM »
Went to service last week, Like 50 fourstroke 2012 moped 45 kmh, driven 5800 km. Changed new Malossi belt (37.- Ebay from Italy). Old OEM was like new if an eye can tell at the age of nine years, goes now as a spare part if needed. Oem rollers 6.5 g were in round shape as should, that surprised me. New Naraku 6.6 g (Ebay from Germany 20.-) are now in. Hope the quality is good like Malossi belt, lets see. Air filter RMS from local moped part store 13.- did not sit to its place like OEM, but well enough. Need to find OEM for next change, can be difficult. Spark plug NGK 4.- from the nearest car part store. Lasts maybe +5 tkm so two years in good shape.
Half an hour work, bill paid and out you go. Excellent service again from local Scooter service. Prices are in €uros.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()