Author Topic: Which upgrades improve gas mileage?  (Read 4312 times)

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
Which upgrades improve gas mileage?
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »
I have been going through the forum looking for which upgrades improve the gas mileage. So far, between talking to the dealer and reading the forums, I have figured out that a new pipe/exhaust will free up horse power, but may lower the gas mileage and just makes it very loud (I get home at midnight in a residential neighborhood... that could be very rude).  There was a post about a kevlar belt improving gas mileage but everything I have read about kevlar only says it will last longer.  I am seeing mixed results from people who did a variator upgrade (which I still have to figure out what that is).  Others are saying a windshield has helped improve gas milage, but only slightly.

I am not looking to turn my scooter into a racer.  I bought it for commuting in town and to take some mileage and wear and tear off my car.  I am most interested in improving what I have which is about 70-75 mpg.  If I can gain horsepower without sacrificing the mpg, I'm interested.  If I can gain mpg without sacrificing horsepower, I am very interested.  What recommendations are out there? 

Any actual experience on a variator, exhaust system, carburetor, windshields, and anything I might have left out, and how they affected mpg (whether it improved or worsened) would be helpful.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

juice

• View Profile
Re: Which upgrades improve gas mileage?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »
Running the maximum amount of air in your tires will probably help as much as any "upgrade" . Good luck .

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »
Running the maximum amount of air in your tires will probably help as much as any "upgrade" . Good luck .

+1 on appropriate tire pressure. As well, people don't realize just how much fuel they're wasting by how they use the throttle. It's hard to squeeze out considerably more MPG's on most scoots. In fact, by the time you spend all of the money and time, the improvements can barely be worth it. I improved my gas mileage by over 10mpg on other bikes by just being aware of throttle usage and consistency alone. Others may have more ideas, but this is the easiest and "FREE" way of improving immediately.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:57:42 PM »
there is really no mod to improve MPG only MPH, and most of those mods will bring down your MPG, I seen some bikes that they have to refill twice a day( Looking at you zombie)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:52:49 PM »
Three time on those "Oh I forgot to get " days. If you want to improve mileage alone... Use an Iridium plug, and a Hotter Ign. coil. Those combined with Premium fuel should get you 10-15 mpg boost per tank. Increasing HP will give you more power at given throttle ranges, but will consume more fuel per cycle. That one depends on your riding style.
I'd spend fifty bucks on a coil, and a few more on a plug. It will pay for itself in a few months/year
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:21 AM »
Riding habits, tire pressure, less weight (diet Lol), big wind screen, right fuel, scooter specific oil (low friction) or equivalent, clean filter, good ignition system

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:23:12 AM »
Pretty soon you will go to the gas station to take some out!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:30:42 AM »
This may not improve gas mileage but will save you transportation money! http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Philippines/Eastern_Visayas/Leyte/Dulag/photo1225301.htm

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »
This may not improve gas mileage but will save you transportation money! http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Philippines/Eastern_Visayas/Leyte/Dulag/photo1225301.htm

LOL, since we going that road you could also do this.

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »
Its a new scoot and tire pressure is still fresh.. only had 4 days of riding on it to work so far.  I'm getting about 71mpg.  Took the freeway once, full throttle and the rest were on country roads (with a few stop signs)... still mostly full throttle... so I am very happy with 71mpg.  After the first 500 miles, I will replace the oil with synthetic... since I have always run everything on it with great results... but doubt that will help.  The windshield I am looking into making myself out of Lexan since there isn't anything made for the Super 8.

I am aware of the difference between how you ride and I ride conservatively (its a scooter, not a crotch rocket).  Which has been the nice surprise... this scoot has some pep  :D  Top Gear had an episode where a BMW 300+ horsepower followed a Prius... The Prius was going max speed which was nothing to the BMW (the point was to follow).  The BMW got better gas mileage bcz it was barely trying while the Prius was going flat out.  How you drive matters a lot and I didn't buy this scoot to go 100mph and I certainly won't be testing it out in the Salt flats... ever.  I hit the gas and enjoy the ride.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 12:12:20 AM »
You are on the right road... Hotter spark will increase mileage due to a more complete cycle resulting in more power/less throttle. If you can find steel belted tires they help the MOST.
Ps The first pict looked like they forgot the chicken...

Vivo

• View Profile

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 02:49:57 AM »
 Acapulco Gold!!!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 03:28:26 AM »
Here's an upgrade that may save some money. You can charge a fee per passenger! http://habal-habal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/habal-habal-com-trisikad.jpg

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()