Author Topic: Headlights & turn signals  (Read 1769 times)

DoubleSC

• View Profile
Headlights & turn signals
« on: July 31, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »
Hi All,

After just picking up a Super 8, I've a couple things about it:

1) The headset dims significantly when slowing.  As I understand from Kymco, this is intentional to save power (the charging system isn't strong enough to operate everything at idle).  This can be a bit more dangerous if slowing down for an intersection (where you have the right-of-way and don't need to stop) and there's traffic waiting to go across your path -- the waiting traffic may misinterpret the scooters' lights dimming to mean "please go ahead"...
So now the question:  I've seen an article or two on how to bypass the "Light Control Box".  Has anyone had experience in doing this with good results?  Or was the battery so small in capacity that it can't take a bit of momentary charge/discharge cycles while riding through town, and left them stranded with a bad battery?

2) The turn signals blink too fast - as if a bulb had burnt out.  But the bulbs seem bright, and all are working.  Anyone know if this is normal?  Also, anyone know where could find the original turn signal bulb mounts in case I'd want to remove the stalks they use on bikes sold in the US?

Thanks,

DSC

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Re: Headlights & turn signals
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »
1) Yes, the lights do this.  Most drivers will not assume that you are trying to tell them something if your lights dim.  Most drivers will not even see you. 
2) Use your blinkers, but don't count on them.  If you feel like you need to get drivers attention, use a hand signal.
There are always ways to get things to work better, but messing with the electrical system is always risky.
If you have lights and your blinkers work then I would not worry about it.
I am picky too about everything on my motorcycles and scooter, so you are not alone. 

DoubleSC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:44:44 AM »
Thanks for the info. and advice, Steve.

I'm comfortable with working with electrical systems, so making modifications wouldn't be a problem for me.  Perhaps the solution would be to swap out the other normal bulbs (tail/turn signals) for LEDs and offset any additional loading taken up by leaving the lights on.

For the turn signals, just wondering if it was "normal".  Sometime something like this could just be a symptom of another underlying problem...

DSC

alandok85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:16:31 PM »
Headlight dimming is normal, machine gun blinker is not.  remove the dash panel the blinker circuit is inside I believe its a standard model available at most auto parts stores.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()