Author Topic: Small lamps in front of headlamps  (Read 3194 times)

spongella

• View Profile
Small lamps in front of headlamps
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »
Hello all,

Well my Super 8 has been in the shop and they are working on my headlamp problem (headlights go out when motor is above idle speed).  I see an old post from someone who had a People 200 with the same problem.

But in the meantime I have a question for the other Super 8 owners: those two little lamps that are in front of the headlamps, are they supposed to be on all the time?  Mine do not light up at all.  Not sure if these bulbs go on when you switch the high beams on.  

I think at one time they did light up on my scooter.  Maybe they are parking lights?

Thanks.

Spongella
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:55:05 PM by spongella »

oswaldters

• View Profile
Re: Small lamps in front of headlamps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »
I don't have a Super 8, but on the agility those types of lights exist as well.  They also do not function as they are not wired to the battery in my scoot.

In the agility these lamps function as turn signals in other parts of the world.  However, in the US they have the bolt on turn signals to meet regulations and don't bother connecting the small lights by the headlight.

Maybe it's the same with the Super 8?  

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:33:46 PM »
In some states (like Tennessee), it's illegal to have more than three white lights lit to the front of the vehicle, period. So, no Quadrophenia scooters, here.

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:41:22 AM »
In some states (like Tennessee), it's illegal to have more than three white lights lit to the front of the vehicle, period. So, no Quadrophenia scooters, here.

WOW! I live in TN also and have never heard of such a law and how it could be possible since MANY vehicles come from the factory with 4 lights, headlights, driving lights, fog lights, marker lamps etc.
Most of your cars from the 70's,80;s and some from the 90's have 4 head lamps 2 low beam and 2 hi beam, guess I would have to sell my car / truck if I had one of these models. I better put some hub caps on my wheels before I get a ticket for indecent exposure for showing my nuts

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »
How hard is it to rewire the lights so the factory, clean look is returned? I'd like to get rid of the stalk blinkers.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

alandok85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »
I wired mine to my right head light and put led green led wedge bulbs in them for some pizzazz!
 My bike gets mistaken for a crotch rocket all the time at night due to this and my loud yoshi pipe.

alandok85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
OK I can understand the DOT regulation demanding bolt on blinkers, but what I don't get is why. The four horsemen ( Honda, kawi, Suzuki, and yama) are exempt from this law? I was looking at the Japanese models at sloans ans noticed that some have led tail/ turn signals that violate this law.  I smell import bias! And it smells like ethonal in my 93 octane!!!!

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 07:04:42 AM »
OK I can understand the DOT regulation demanding bolt on blinkers, but what I don't get is why. The four horsemen ( Honda, kawi, Suzuki, and yama) are exempt from this law? I was looking at the Japanese models at sloans ans noticed that some have led tail/ turn signals that violate this law.  I smell import bias! And it smells like ethonal in my 93 octane!!!!

I rode by Sloan's, today. I think the DOT spec is that turn signals must be a minimum of 16" apart on-center. Some front farings (like my People 250) meet that without the bug pods. So do many sportbikes, but they'll usually have rear blinkers on stalks to meet the 16" rule.

There may be some exemption to this on bikes that integrate the turn signals with the brake light. I saw a newer Honda on the interstate the other day just as you describe, and I did wonder about that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:07:56 AM by jprestonian »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()