Author Topic: Windshield Report  (Read 479 times)

SeniorScooter

• View Profile
Windshield Report
« on: October 05, 2018, 01:47:38 AM »
Hi Scooterists,
A brief report from an old dog who just had to have a windshield. Most bikes/scooters in the past had them or I put them on. I bought the Scoot 66 from slipstreamer (found it on ebay for 72 bucks). The height works for me at 5'8" and deflects the wind to just above my helmet. I only moved it up an inch from the lowest point. It took some creative adjusting and fiddling to get it even on both sides, but eventually succeeded. Mostly. Still need to angle the shield away from the right mirror stalk a bit. Found out while installing (mirror stalks do have to come off), that the Kymco Like 200i does not have the left hand threads on one of the mirrors. The hardware package was complete for this scoot. Although it has been in the low 90's around here, I get enough breeze to suffice for now, and will appreciate it this Winter while riding at a chilly 65 or so. Enjoying the scoot very much, THANKS AGAIN for all the informative posts.
Scoot with others the way you would want them to scoot with you.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield Report
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
SrScoot,
Thanks your report, and the photos.
For 5 Ohio winters I have given some thought to a screen on my LIKE200I. So far, no screen.
If I ever put one on I'd like it to have some protection for my hands. That is where I feel the cold most on a 25°F day, even with battery heated gloves.
Thanks again for your product report w/photos.
Ride safe.
Stig
PS-- the red bands on your grips. ??
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

SeniorScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 01:11:43 AM »
Since this windshield is a little wider than it is tall, the wind is deflected a bit around your hands. Will see how much when it gets cooler. A Givi shield that I had on my Majesty came across the front of the grips, That was nice!

The red rubber bands (very observant) are my "parking brakes". Since the scoot moves freely when parked, I use the bands over the brake levers if I park on an incline. Keeps it from drifting forward or back. I do use the center stand, but the convenience of the side stand is great for quick stops. The motorcycles I have had used a kill switch when the side stand went down, The scoot does not. The rubber bands are the small thick ones from broccoli bunches. Red makes them easy to spot in case I were to try and make a quick getaway  :)

Must be different scooting at 25. Mid fifties is my cut-off temp. Grew up scootin' in Miami (Florida). Central Florida was "up North" to me. Can't quite fathom the idea of scooting when it is below freezing! Must be some tough scooterists up your way!
Scoot with others the way you would want them to scoot with you.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 11:27:45 AM »
Does your owner's manual still have the bit about scoot will not start with the side stand down?
Mine was manufactured in early 2012, and I  spent quite some time trying to see why mine did start with the side stand down, before realizing the error was in the manual....not the scooter.
Wind proof pants and jacket, layered over armored stuff, and heated gloves solved my cold riding issues. Winters too long here - to park the scooter. Plus it was my work commuting vehicle. 3°F was my coldest commute. Plastics surprised me by not shattering at those temps. And that EFI is amazing at all temps!
Our broccoli bands are green ....or blue....to match my scooter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
Does your owner's manual still have the bit about scoot will not start with the side stand down?
Mine was manufactured in early 2012, and I  spent quite some time trying to see why mine did start with the side stand down, before realizing the error was in the manual....not the scooter.
Wind proof pants and jacket, layered over armored stuff, and heated gloves solved my cold riding issues. Winters too long here - to park the scooter. Plus it was my work commuting vehicle. 3°F was my coldest commute. Plastics surprised me by not shattering at those temps. And that EFI is amazing at all temps!
Our broccoli bands are green ....or blue....to match my scooter.
Stig
[/quote
Error in the manual! Whodda thought!?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()