Author Topic: Ya'know, I wouldn't say NO to a dry scooter ride!  (Read 482 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Ya'know, I wouldn't say NO to a dry scooter ride!
« on: December 26, 2023, 12:19:12 PM »

Just sayin'.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Ya'know, I wouldn't say NO to a dry scooter ride!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 04:48:35 PM »
My last couple have been dry 😂 …
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

DaveG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 12:29:53 PM »

Just sayin'.
Stig

But if you're gonna take a wet ride that's a really nice looking one to do it on !

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 02:10:12 AM »
I haven't seen dry in a couple weeks ever since the storm, it's been drizzly dreary hovering above or below freezing, reports of black ice everywhere
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 09:33:54 AM »
I haven't seen dry in a couple weeks ever since the storm, it's been drizzly dreary hovering above or below freezing, reports of black ice everywhere

"Black ice"... 2 words that will put me off riding ever since I dumped my Kawasaki GPZ900R at little more than walking pace on the hateful stuff many years back.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 02:46:58 PM »
"Black ice"... 2 words that will put me off riding ever since I dumped my Kawasaki GPZ900R at little more than walking pace on the hateful stuff many years back.
A few yrs ago, on my 5:30 AM work commute - I hit a patch of ice on a street.
I didn't go down.
It came from a street cleaner a few blocks ahead. He was spraying water so his swirling brushes didn't create dust!
This happened one other time - in the 70's in Mass, work commuting to the Hosp. in the winter on my Honda motorcycle. The same cause! Didn't go down - but I was just as P O'd
Dumbheads.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 03:05:18 PM »
if I could get some knobbys in the right size for my AK, I'd drill em & stud. ice of any kind wouldn't deter me
RandyO
IBA#9560

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 12:59:30 AM »
+1 on all of ya.
I hit it a few times when commuting year round, usually just a quick slip, but the worst was on my first Burgman 650 on I5 under a bridge.
Probably a 10-20' stretch.  I wasn't going particularly fast for the road, but I was on the freeway..
I didn't twitch & thought only pure thoughts for the duration and stayed up.  Longest 5 hours of my life.
Stuck to surface streets on the freezing days thereafter.  Fortunately not a lot of them around here.

A few yrs ago, on my 5:30 AM work commute - I hit a patch of ice on a street.
I didn't go down.
It came from a street cleaner a few blocks ahead. He was spraying water so his swirling brushes didn't create dust!
This happened one other time - in the 70's in Mass, work commuting to the Hosp. in the winter on my Honda motorcycle. The same cause! Didn't go down - but I was just as P O'd
Dumbheads.
Stig
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 12:44:28 PM »
Been pretty miserable in the UK too for the last week or so. I had one of the more unpleasant rides I've had in quite a long time yesterday, tramping through the Derbyshire Dales on my 250. Some properly deep standing water that necessitate holding my ankles up at the tank base. Certainly wouldn't have tried it in a car.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 12:55:18 PM »
Been pretty miserable in the UK too for the last week or so. I had one of the more unpleasant rides I've had in quite a long time yesterday, tramping through the Derbyshire Dales on my 250. Some properly deep standing water that necessitate holding my ankles up at the tank base. Certainly wouldn't have tried it in a car.

Agreed, I've avoided a ride so far this year because of the rain.  Maybe tomorrow. 

Your tale takes me back to my 365 days a year commuting by bike days.  Deepest water I ever encountered (on my Kawa ZX-9R) was on the A41 from Chester home to just North of Wolverhampton.  Only saw this lake at the last minute (it was dark & raining) so hit it at about 25 mph - about 15 or so more than ideal.  Like you, it was legs up and hang on for dear life to avoid a grim death!  Near to the RAF base & Stormy Petrel pub if you know it?  Happy days.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 09:46:58 AM »
Agreed, I've avoided a ride so far this year because of the rain.  Maybe tomorrow. 

Your tale takes me back to my 365 days a year commuting by bike days.  Deepest water I ever encountered (on my Kawa ZX-9R) was on the A41 from Chester home to just North of Wolverhampton.  Only saw this lake at the last minute (it was dark & raining) so hit it at about 25 mph - about 15 or so more than ideal.  Like you, it was legs up and hang on for dear life to avoid a grim death!  Near to the RAF base & Stormy Petrel pub if you know it?  Happy days.

I do know it!

I think my commuting days are rapidly coming to an end - change of job looming in March and I'll only be a 15 minute cycle or C70 ride from home, so no more 50 miles to Nottingham each way anymore.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 10:04:34 AM »
I do know it!

I think my commuting days are rapidly coming to an end - change of job looming in March and I'll only be a 15 minute cycle or C70 ride from home, so no more 50 miles to Nottingham each way anymore.

Much as you can't beat it on dry Spring, Summer & Autumn days, I suspect you won't miss it at this time of year!  I certainly didn't, 24 years was quite enough for me.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()