Author Topic: Check Your Battery!  (Read 796 times)

Wil B.

• View Profile
Check Your Battery!
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »
Last week, the mighty Yager was a little difficult to start, and after a couple of days, refused to even turn over.  I pulled the battery, and called the dealer, who said that he would have to order a new one.  A bummer as I have owned the scoot less than 2 years!   I didn't really want to wait so I examined the battery which I always ASSUMED was sealed.  There was a small cover covering the cell tops, and I pried off easily with a screwdriver.  The battery was DRY!  I filled up the cells with distilled water, and let sit for a day after giving a gentle shake to mix things up.  The next day, I hooked up to a test charger which indicated that the battery was fully charged!!!!  I hooked back up to the Yager and it started like new!  Of course I had to take on a nice long ride to celebrate.

Note, I have no additional accessories hooked up to the electrical system, and keep the battery on a battery tender during the winter months.

So, I recommend everyone check your Yager battery before you put into storage for the winter, and before reinstalling in the spring.  It is easy to pull the top cover and check the cells.  This is not a 'Maintenance free' battery!

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Nighthawk
.04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200gt

Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
Re: Check Your Battery!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
Wil thanks for the good advise.

I like to look at these things his way - if something is maintenance free or not repairable in the field - I'm going to work on it anyway if the only other option is to throw it away and buy another one.

Good job.
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()