Author Topic: Plastic screwhole repair?  (Read 726 times)

Yager200i

• View Profile
Plastic screwhole repair?
« on: July 01, 2014, 02:11:58 AM »
I've got some screws that I've taken out and put in so many times that the plastic the screws bite into has been chewed up and the screws no longer tighten properly.

I've tried J-B Weld, but it just turned into a hard lump that spun out of the hole like a screw when I tried to drill a pilot hole. I need something that'll melt into the existing plastic and become part of it.

Is there something I can do to fix these short of ordering new Tupperware? It's for the Tupperware on the front of the bike.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: Plastic screwhole repair?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 03:51:56 PM »
Something you could attempt.
Get some PVC cement.
Coat the screw with oil or some other non stick coating, and dip it into the cement.
Carefully screw it into the stripped hole (just the screw! Not the part it holds on!)
The PVC cement reacts with plastic, and chemically melts it for a few moments, and then rehardens. With 2 plastic pieces, it will melt them into each other like a weld. With the metal screw, it should harden around the threads and form new threads.
JUST DON'T LET THE CEMENT DRIP ON THE VISIBLE PARTS OF THE PANELS OR ANY WIRES!
Let it set for a couple hours, and then SLOWLY unscrew the screw. As long as it doesn't crack, it should leave brand new threads to screw into.

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!
I have never tried this trick with the plastic on our scooters!
I've used it to repair parts on my nephew's electric ride on toys, and it worked great.
But, the plastic on our scooters is not quite the same, so NO PROMISES!
Maybe worth a try before buying all new body panels.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()