Author Topic: Freeway Riders, how do you handle angry tailgaters?  (Read 3185 times)

PaulF

• View Profile
Re: Freeway Riders, how do you handle angry tailgaters?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 03:09:18 AM »
I tend to change my driving/riding habit according the machine/comfort zone I am operating.  Most people can't make that change or judgment.  Let's face it, scooter on the highway is the bottom of the food chain and everyone wants a piece of you lol  it's the mentality in the USA.  Most people think scooter is a toy, most people think crashing 60mph on scooter some how hurts less then anything, most people think your slow, most people think your a tree hugger, most people think your poor, and lastly most people don't respect scooters or care for it and that includes other motorcycle riders lol

Funny that you mentioned that.  When people seeing me riding with protective pants and jacket on I get funny looks like, "why are you wearing that, you are only on a scooter".  Somehow it is ok for motorcycle riders to wear leathers or other types of protective gear around town but people don't realize that coming off a scooter at 60 kmh is going to do the same damage as if you came off a motorcycle.  The large number of scooter riders that ride in just a t-shirt with jeans or shorts projects that scooter riding is just a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously.

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 03:31:37 AM »
I don't understand all the negative California driver talk here. I like California drivers better than any other state I drive in and that's a lot of states. Folks often pull over from the left lane to let faster drivers through.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 06:16:11 AM »
No I mean the right lane.
I’ve done 10 of thousands of miles on scoots on the slab. Ran from NJ to Florida on a s200 on the small side and San Diego to Sonoma a number of times on an DT300 so I get how it’s done. Never needed to pull to the shoulder.

I’ve never fooled myself into thinking i have some superhero power to avaoid a holes even though I’m from Brooklyn. If you can’t take the tailgaters, swerves, texters etal it’s time for an SUV.

AMAC

Yesterday for example. I was pulling over to the right lane and someone was speeding in IT also. So I had to knock it up a bit.

I don't think there is a definite right-lane, left-lane rule to be honest. I think people in California are just Narcissistic drivers and the best avoidance is prevention and looking far far ahead of things.

Knowing and respecting my bikes abilities and limits is the other and works right into that.

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 06:22:04 AM »
Not going in to details, two actions, be pro-active and move over.  See the trouble before it sees you and avoid it.  Coming from 90's, I used to street race and everything that I could've done and stupidly done have been done by me.  I don't any more but every time I see clowns pull sh**s on the highway like that I laugh at them, all because I've seen and done way worse.  Not proud but I can say I've been there.  I am not fastest or slowest by any means, but avoiding trouble and get to your destination safely is the GAME!

I tend to change my driving/riding habit according the machine/comfort zone I am operating.  Most people can't make that change or judgment.  Let's face it, scooter on the highway is the bottom of the food chain and everyone wants a piece of you lol  it's the mentality in the USA.  Most people think scooter is a toy, most people think crashing 60mph on scooter some how hurts less then anything, most people think your slow, most people think your a tree hugger, most people think your poor, and lastly most people don't respect scooters or care for it and that includes other motorcycle riders lol

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with that last part.

I'm in California though, and all i've had is nothing but respect from motorcyclists of all kinds. Hipsters on Vespa's? Another story altogether, but still.

It's not a scooter thing, it's a driving on anything with two wheels thing. Motorcyclists here tell me the same stories all the time about people trying to race them and getting disrespected.

I honestly don't think people look at you and go "oh, that's not a motorcycle it's a scooter". Especially when you're doing 90 mph on the freeway and passing most people who behave themselves at 70 mph.

About changing my driving habit based on what I am driving.

Well, the good thing is that the Kymco is my only mode of transport so I am getting a lot more experience with driving on it much than the average weekend warrior would I think. Ya know, those dudes with a car who just want a weekend toy to ride to the beach on?

For me, and a lot of other Californian motorcyclists, it's a main mode of commute. And in some ways it works in our favor.

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 06:25:25 AM »
I don't understand all the negative California driver talk here. I like California drivers better than any other state I drive in and that's a lot of states. Folks often pull over from the left lane to let faster drivers through.

Agreed.

It's not the California drivers pe se, it's the California Freeway system combined with a few handfuls of drivers who don't concern themselves for anybody elses safety.

Now that said, I still think the good and conscientious drivers here far outnumber the bad ones, but there are still enough bad ones to be noticeable and inspire one to polish up ones motorcycle driving skills.

yao

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 06:59:14 AM »
"I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with that last part.

I'm in California though, and all i've had is nothing but respect from motorcyclists of all kinds. Hipsters on Vespa's? Another story altogether, but still."

Can't tell you how many times I've been passed by crotchrocket and Harleys on the same lane without a wave or gesture that they were going to pass me, did I mentioned on the same lane? Oh and don't get me started on how they wouldn't even look at you waiting for the same light lol oh and when you are first when took off at the light they have to gun it just to make sure they don't look bad by your puny scooters.

How I know is when I am on my 1125cc crotchrocket, NO and not even once has any of the above mentioned ever happens.  And no I'm not your weekend cruiser, I have 4 cars and 2500hd truck two cars are over 500hp to the wheels but I still ride my scooter the most.  Rain, snow, wind oh and 30 below wind chill lol at one time I was doing 70 miles a day to work!

My wife actually prefers me riding scooter because I am much much more cautious and a tad slower lol

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »

-SNIP-

It's not a scooter thing, it's a driving on anything with two wheels thing. Motorcyclists here tell me the same stories all the time about people trying to race them and getting disrespected.

I honestly don't think people look at you and go "oh, that's not a motorcycle it's a scooter". Especially when you're doing 90 mph on the freeway and passing most people who behave themselves at 70 mph

Disrespected?
Does that really bother you, really..........?

Come on man.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »
I increase my following distance in hopes that if something happens in front of me I have time to decelerate slowly or maneuver before the tailgater hits me. Occasionally I will open my left hand and drop it down for the driver behind me to take a courteous "hint". If I can I will get away from them altogether.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »
The higher the speed, the more critical your actions become to alleviate the problem. Probably the safest thing anyone can do is tail a truck that is governed to 65-67 mph and just let all the yuppie lemmings go around. You are in Californis, right? When the traffic packs up lane split until it starts moving again.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

yao

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 09:01:46 PM »
I agree Karl, wish all states can do lane splitting, instead CO gets weeds!   There is an art to go slow :)  It's more fun to make/drive slow machines fast.  constant Smoothness, anticiptations and lots of planning is the key.         

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 10:12:09 PM »
Wearing a pair of these leather chaps with nothing on underneath might stop a few people getting to close to you.  ;D

But on a serious note I do get very annoyed being tailgated especially when all the traffic is moving slow.  I fail to see how tailgating me is going to get the cars in front of me to increase their speed.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 10:35:55 PM »
It’s not a great that we’ve all been there (dealing with tailgaters), but good that we can share our experienced and advice here on the forum.

I think it depends on the situation. My flaws is I hate being made to feel like a second class citizen whenever I’m riding. As one poster put it, we’re the bottom of the 2-wheel food chain, but those are other’s perceptions and not ours. It’s a flaw I have to watch because it can lead to road rage and making stupid decisions.

So, I’ve learned to adjust my decisions based on the situation. If I’m riding behind someone and maintaining a 2-second following distance, while in the right (or cruising) lane(s) then I’m going to be confused by any tailgater.

If I’m in the passing lane while overtaking a line of vehicles AND being tailgated, I pull over to the right lanes when safe to do so. If it’ll will be a while before that passing opportunity happens I drop my left arm to my side and make a ‘back-off’ waving motion. Most drivers (in my experience) will do so. Of course there’s always that a-hole that won’t listen, or doesn’t get it. If slowing down won’t make them back off I’ll hit my hazards lights followed by more waving motions. The first chance I get I’ll switch lanes, but managing my safety is more important.

I have a feeling the scenario we’re talking about here are the tailgaters on the two lane road. I’ll pull over if it’s pretty clear the driver is acting in an erratic, reckless and dangerous way. It’s better to have them in front, and if I’m motorvlogging I’d rather have them ahead of me just to get their plate number on camera. Speeding up can also do a lot, but I won’t go too fast if my wife is with me. We were once passed by a BMV driver who actually (and illegally) drove on the shoulder of the road in a residential neighborhood just to pass us (wish I had that on camera).

I wish there was a convenient way to report tailgagters along with other hazardous drivers (cell phone users or drunks). Technology isn’ty There yet, but hopefully soon.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 12:39:44 AM »
No longer have a dog in this scrap....having sold my Burgman 400 freeway flyer for a little 55mph Piaggio.
Except we all deal with tailgaters, nearly ea. day.
I put the signal on and pull to the curb.
Not looking for respect...just getting down the lane safely on my fun to ride scooter.

Sure I get mad when drivers do stupid stuff near me. If I'm really angry I get off the road and off the scoot for a bit.

I did enjoy tailgaters when driving my county truck. 🐌

Stig
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:07:30 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 04:43:12 AM »
 I have a buddy who was running the speed limit on the slab, a few years back, and signaled for a right lane change to exit  on a 250 Honda Elite and then he was riding on the hood of an older car, which had rear ended him. He didn't feel like he was hurt all that bad until the cage driver noticed he had picked up a passenger and slammed on the binders. It did  not help that the old car had a hood ornament, which my friend had cleared on the first pass, but was not so lucky on the second. This all occurred at about 60 mph. Thru it all he was still blessed and only got some cuts to his backside and a bunch of bruises. No broken bones. He gave me the scooter and hung up his helmet. I had it in riding condition in a couple of days. but he wouldn't take it back. They don't always end that nice.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 05:05:01 PM »
... Let's face it, scooter on the highway is the bottom of the food chain and everyone wants a piece of you lol  it's the mentality in the USA.  Most people think scooter is a toy, most people think crashing 60mph on scooter some how hurts less then anything, most people think your slow, most people think your a tree hugger, most people think your poor, and lastly most people don't respect scooters or care for it and that includes other motorcycle riders lol
You nailed it, Yao. Here in the US, we scooter riders are Rodney Dangerfield ... no respect. Hopefully, we can slowly change that attitude.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()