Author Topic: Scooter insurance guidance ??  (Read 1017 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Scooter insurance guidance ??
« on: April 07, 2017, 11:42:21 PM »
Getting ready to renew the insurance on my scooters.
I have been buying car insurance for decades - but I need to know more about what I need for a scooter.
Do we have any ins. agents in the membership? or a rider who has learned something the hard way ?(which is usually my method of education)

Stig

PS: I will be talking to my agent, as soon as he's paroled.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Scooter insurance guidance ??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »
Not sure what to tell you. All mine are through USAA which uses Progressive for motorcycles.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 12:58:25 AM »
Use a mutual company. Progressive is not. State Farm and Allstate are both mutual. Wife worked for State Farm.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 06:29:27 AM »
I have GEICO but only liability since both of us were found at fault for wreck last month neither of us could file against the other but it counts as an at fault on my record. . . .first accident in 20 yrs of operating a vehicle. . . .won't know how it affects my rates till I renew in June.. . .
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »
I had Allstate. I bought a comprehensive, collision, liability policy. But I only discovered AFTER THE FACT that motorcycle policies do NOT include PIP in Florida. I was ignorant. I thought that pip was included even in the most basic policy like it is in automobile insurance. But I was WRONG. That explains why I couldn't simply add my scooter to my existing policy. Well. Thank God I was covered on my JOB's health insurance policy. But it would have been nice to have had that 5000 deductible paid by a pip policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 10:37:50 AM »
I had Allstate. I bought a comprehensive, collision, liability policy. But I only discovered AFTER THE FACT that motorcycle policies do NOT include PIP in Florida. I was ignorant. I thought that pip was included even in the most basic policy like it is in automobile insurance. But I was WRONG. That explains why I couldn't simply add my scooter to my existing policy. Well. Thank God I was covered on my JOB's health insurance policy. But it would have been nice to have had that 5000 deductible paid by a pip policy.

I don't know if my comments were relevant to your question. But I just felt like venting. Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »
Well guys, I had geico on the DT300. I was told that I had a great policy and coverage. I never go for just liability, I always get extra coverage. I guess it makes me feel safer, knowing that if something happens, I don't have to worry.
When I got rear ended,in August. I called geico,and they assured me that I had nothing to worry about and I had a great policy. The guy ,who hit me had Plymouth Rock. They paid the damages ,to the scooter, in about a month or so. I was injured,so I had to go for X-rays and MRI's and also physical therapy. Neither geico, Plymouth Rock or even my personal health insurance, want to pay for injuries. I even tried to go through my car insurance policy. I had to get an attorney,so he is fighting the fight for me. I'm sure someone will eventually pay, but when it comes to " motorcycle " accidents, it's not as clear cut . Maybe it's the no-fault, bull crap,that NJ has , but it's tricky. Just be careful and actually understand,what you are going to be covered for.
Rich

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 10:44:59 AM »
be sure a mistake doesn't cost you the farm.
not just insuring the scooters and riders but the guy you kill or mame.
a penny saved may not be wise if it costs you your house.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 12:51:14 PM »
When I first got my bike, I took it to a marina to visit my friends boat. The gravel of the parking lot was deep and the bike almost slid into new expensive car. Man that would have been a lot of money to repaint and fix.

Always have some sort of insurance riding a motorized vehicle. 
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
insurance bugs the crap out of me
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »
I do know that most people do not fully understand their insurance policy, me included. Also, the basic policy required by law is not good coverage.
The main grip with my insurance company is depreciation. When my cars or scooters get three or four years old and are worth about 50-60 percent of full retail, they still charge full premium. The insurance companys excuse is always repair cost. I don`t buy it and think it is a rip off. I have State Farm Ins.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:02:31 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »

Exactly!
I discovered that my policy does not provide any coverage for me or my injuries. It is not even listed as an option.
Yes, my personal health ins. may cover me - but there is that hefty deductible that must be paid. The pers. inj. coverage could take care of that.

What I am finding is that purchasing bike coverage is sketchy when done without a conversation with a live agent.
But one must know what questions to ask....since they may or may not bring all options into the conversation - wanting to offer me lower prices so that I buy from them - but not getting me what I'll need if I wreck.

I have purchased hefty accidental life & dismember insurance.

I will bear in mind all comments here ....and give a few local agents a call this week. I have pretty hefty coverage for all things and people I hit, and some for my scoots - but need to check on coverage for my carcass!

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »
In Canada we pay more!!!!   year one  $ 965.00 for one scooter full coverage,   year two   $ 670.00 same coverage,   year 5   two scooters $ 665.00 changed insur.  Co.  moved to personal Insurance Co.   they just started motorcycle coverage ,  so I have two cars and two scooters with  same Co.   with full coverage same as  car,  medical $ 2,000,000.00,. that should cover everything,.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 04:42:53 AM »
Everyone just bear in mind that in most states you can get scooter/motorcycle insurance to pay for everyone and everything except YOU! So just make sure that you have some other insurance that will cover YOU if you have an accident of the nature that I had. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had not had a health insurance policy.  They likely would have simply stopped the bleeding, (possibly) amputated my leg and sent me home to heal the best way I could. No follow up, and no prosthetic.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 04:57:54 AM »
Exactly!
I discovered that my policy does not provide any coverage for me or my injuries. It is not even listed as an option.
Yes, my personal health ins. may cover me - but there is that hefty deductible that must be paid. The pers. inj. coverage could take care of that.

What I am finding is that purchasing bike coverage is sketchy when done without a conversation with a live agent.
But one must know what questions to ask....since they may or may not bring all options into the conversation - wanting to offer me lower prices so that I buy from them - but not getting me what I'll need if I wreck.

I have purchased hefty accidental life & dismember insurance.

I will bear in mind all comments here ....and give a few local agents a call this week. I have pretty hefty coverage for all things and people I hit, and some for my scoots - but need to check on coverage for my carcass!

Stig
I think what you may need is a policy like AFLAC. They give the money directly to YOU. And you can use it to cover such things as your deductibles or living expenses. I had an accident policy AND a short term disability policy with them. The short term disability policy paid me a portion of my salary. But the greatest help was the disability policy. They pay according to what happened. They paid several small to medium sums of money for various things. The total will likely cover any deductibles if you choose to spend it that way. AFLAC!

2009 Xciting 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 06:53:43 PM »
Not sure what to tell you. All mine are through USAA which uses Progressive for motorcycles.
    go with Progressive.they have storage insurance to.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()