Author Topic: Wrong jet!!!  (Read 4236 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong jet!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 06:28:48 PM »
scooter assassins is a great tuning resource. I ordered several parts from them in the past. Shipping takes forever tho. they are in Taipei. Still a great place for performance parts. That Agility only bit I believe points to you and slinger having the same engines.?. Like sid suggests, and I live by it is MUCH easier to drill/solder your own sizes. I have lately been using torch tip cleaners to open them as all the sizes are in 1 neat little "kit", and I can do it all by hand. (no vise or drill). Just look for the kit w/ the most sizes.  http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsCompareAlternates.shtml

..i bet so...Kimco, what number is on the vacuum cap on the top of your carb??
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 02:14:14 AM »
Well, I drilled my spare jet to a 105 way too rich scoot would go like 10 mph's and bog down.  I guess Im going to go with a 98 I think that will be perfect size jet.

sticlistul

• Sex, Scoot and Rock 'n' Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 08:04:45 AM »
that one who is special made for agility 50 it's not to small? 88... when wordslinger get to 105 main jet ...

So not every jet from the market it's suposed to fit on kymco carb ?

If the jet it's not good and the engine it's lean or rich , you have to disasemble the car again and put an other jet ? it's frustrating i think :))

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 08:27:07 AM »
Yes, stripping the carb would be very frustrating but if you can get a few jets together at the time and do a job of it, it wouldn't be so bad,especially if you end up with the correct one. I am lucky because I got a carb. that doesn't need to be stripped to change the jet. Just have to remove this plug and the jet is right there.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 09:02:32 AM »
thats great , like a car carb...

You guys write every where don't run lean :)) but how exactly do you know when it's lean ( i've read in some topics about that but i didn't understand to well ) so if you can recapitulate with all symptoms . For example I change my air filter and i need to resize the main jet , I try an 88 jet, start the engine ...how I know if it's lean ...?  when you go to a mechanic , he seems to be paranormal ,He start the engine and say ... yeah it's lean ...:))

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
Yeah taking the carb apart every time to jet it is frustrating, but in order to get the right mixture it is necessary.  If you run lean you work your motor hard, while if you run rich your motor cannot run too hard.  That  is the simplest explanation I can think of.  I dont know how slingers running such a big jet I have a bbk in my scoot and figured I would be able to run something that big, guess I was wrong.  Oh well trial and error.  I guess I will be ordering a couple jets this week, probably should get the kit with a bunch of jets, but I will probably get a 90 and 98 and go from there, I can always drill another one out.  I still need to raise the carb needle hoping I can get a pic from someone showing me what they did!

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 11:46:46 AM »
Yeah taking the carb apart every time to jet it is frustrating, but in order to get the right mixture it is necessary.  If you run lean you work your motor hard, while if you run rich your motor cannot run too hard.  That  is the simplest explanation I can think of.

work your motor hard... do you mean rpms or what , I'm to stupid to figure out myself so help me ...what it means run hard ... (if i film my motor you can say if it's runing hard or not ?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »
Yes, stripping the carb would be very frustrating but if you can get a few jets together at the time and do a job of it, it wouldn't be so bad,especially if you end up with the correct one. I am lucky because I got a carb. that doesn't need to be stripped to change the jet. Just have to remove this plug and the jet is right there.

...wow....wish i could do that....

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 04:36:49 PM »
Sticlistul- With a lot of experience you may be able to tell if a motor is running lean by the way it responds to changes in throttle and by sound.  The only way to tell for certain it to "read" the spark plug!  The spark plug is really a window into the combustion chamber.  By looking at the color of the spark you can tell what the engine is doing on the inside.  If you put a new plug in and run the engine at a constant throttle position the plug will show you exactly how it is running at that given point in time using that given "circuit" of the carburetor.

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 05:29:57 PM »
so you can't tell if the mixture is to rich the simptoms are that ,that and that and if it's to poor  the simptoms are that ,that and that ...? that's what i want to know

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 05:48:25 PM »
so you can't tell if the mixture is to rich the simptoms are that ,that and that and if it's to poor  the simptoms are that ,that and that ...? that's what i want to know

..lol...it's "rich" and "lean"...   :D

..a lean condition might exhibit "backfiring" out of the muffler, espicially when the throttle is released, or while you are slowing down...if lean, your scoot may "pop-pop-pop" at top speed....

..a rich condition might feel like the scoot wants to "fall forward" at top speed..or be unusually sluggish, or may emit a black smoke from the exhaust muffler...

..all this being said, follow Shaka's advice and learn how to read your spark plug...it's a sure-fire way of determining where you fuel mix really is..

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:51:58 PM by wordslinger »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »
Can someone please post the spark plug color chart for sticlistul? I lost the link on my latest crash...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »
Can someone please post the spark plug color chart for sticlistul? I lost the link on my latest crash...
this one?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 07:51:07 PM »
That's the short version, but just as useful. A brand new plug run for 60 seconds or so will give you the color to compare to the chart. Just hold the throttle at 1 position that you want to check, shut it down, and you will see the rich/lean/good condition.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »
thanks man ,that was what I want to hear . I thought i have to run 1-2 km and after that look at spark plug thats why I was looking for an other method for checking the mixture.

I wait for spark plug color chart  ,long version . Here in roumania it's hard to find jets of 5 mm for kymco so I think I will do like wordslinger I will buy some drills of 0.88 , 0.90 and 0.95 and drill the original jet ,wordslinger I have to ask you how acurate is the jet size after that custom ?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()