Author Topic: Little GTI continues to impress  (Read 2791 times)

yao

• View Profile
Little GTI continues to impress
« on: June 06, 2016, 12:13:11 PM »
Got back from a 90 miles ride yesterday and I think the little engine is finally broken in.  55-60mpg for two up with 51L Trunk going 70-80mph is pretty darn good.  Think I toped 92-95 couple times on the down hill.  This scooter's power is unbelievable, just keeps giving and giving, mind you this is at 5800ft above sea level too.  Got about 3k on it now and boy is it sharp looking.  No head shake and steering is perfectly straight even at the speed I was going!  Get a lot of surprised looks when on highway with scooter, even compliments at the parking lot(never happens on my other scooter).

Now the grips:  People just do not like scooter in front of them.  Even if I was kept pace with the traffic and not hindering anyone and minding my own business, I could feel them following closer to me then with cars, as though they think I am taking up too much space ahead of them! lol, not to mention they pre judge at the light when I am first, they usually changed lanes behind me afraid that I was going to cause traffic jams or just have something to poof.  Worse of all is when turning!! they don't show the courtesy of tape the brake a little bit or give you room/time to slow down when turning, like they see all that space ahead of them and they just want to take it... can't tell you how many times they would just over take on the same lane as soon as they see me scoot over and signal to turn!, forces me to brake harder turn faster when I am making turns, sight.  Last but not least is in traffic, if I don't sit in the middle of the lane, they would inch ever so closely like they want to squeeze me out of my lane.  When I sit in traffic, I like to be a little closer to either side, because I don't want to be rear end and sandwich, not to mention get out of the way easier if need to be.  Little do they know, it's more of opposite for me, I see the gaps between cars when standstill and just wish I could split lanes to get upfront, like in Asia/Europe.

Cons: 

wish the floorboard is bigger, barely could fit anything. 

Refuel is such hassel too, compare to People250, have to pop the seat every time and it is in the center of the bike, so when I use fuel canister, it would spill unless with funnel.  Cracked my Tail light assembly due to gasoline spill not cleaned up!!  some how the gasoline had a chemical reaction with the plastic tail light assembly and you can see all the micro fracture at the corner of the tail light assembly, wish I have know this, now I am extra careful when using fuel canister. 

They could of use aluminum rear grab bar instead of plastic, doesn't feel too secure with my 51L trunk loaded up, especially when I pushed it back as far I think is safe with factory steel bracket and 1/4 thick aluminum sheet as base mount. 

I do get occasional stumble(miss) when the engine is cold and sometimes it would shut off at the light, but fires right back up though, not sure what cause this. 

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Have owned a GTI300
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 01:36:55 PM »
for about three years.
It continues to impress me.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Burgi

• View Profile
Re: Little GTI continues to impress
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 03:44:53 PM »
Funny, where I am, cars seem afraid to get to close behind me at lights. I wonder if they think I am going to spontaneously combust or something.  ::) I lane split regularly, hate sitting at the back wondering if the next driver is paying attention or will just come crashing into me.

What top case do you have on your scooter? Did you have to build a mount for it?
'14 GT 300i,  BMW RT, Bonneville, SYM HD200

b4cz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 12:04:27 AM »
I can't stop telling people about my people. I too love the look from them when I go down the freeway. The wind is a bit much for me and my wife so I ordered a windscreen.

yao

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 04:53:20 PM »
"What top case do you have on your scooter? Did you have to build a mount for it?"

I use saddleman's top case and yes I did built a mounting plate for it.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 10:18:30 AM »
"What top case do you have on your scooter? Did you have to build a mount for it?"

I use saddleman's top case and yes I did built a mounting plate for it.
T

Nice post about this scooter.
Might try NGK IRIDIUM spark plug to clean up unstable stop light idle.
Worked great on three scooters I've used them on.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

kbshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »
In full agreement: GTi continues to impress!
I owned mine going on 2 years in a couple of weeks.  I went to a party 35 miles from my house.  Went there using back roads, but on my way home I used one of the fastest & busiest freeways in the SF Bay Area (680).  My GTi sustained 80MPH!!!

kbshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 10:44:08 PM »
Nice post about this scooter.
Might try NGK IRIDIUM spark plug to clean up unstable stop light idle.
Worked great on three scooters I've used them on.
Stig

Hi Stig - what is the specific model of the NGK Iridium for the People 300?
Thanks!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 11:02:21 PM »

Hi Stig - what is the specific model of the NGK Iridium for the People 300?
Thanks!
Should have the same basic numbers as the stock NGK....with an X added.
Check NGK website for specifics.
Stig
Got back from a 90 miles ride yesterday and I think the little engine is finally broken in.  55-60mpg for two up with 51L Trunk going 70-80mph is pretty darn good.  Think I toped 92-95 couple times on the down hill.  This scooter's power is unbelievable, just keeps giving and giving, mind you this is at 5800ft above sea level too.  Got about 3k on it now and boy is it sharp looking.  No head shake and steering is perfectly straight even at the speed I was going!  Get a lot of surprised looks when on highway with scooter, even compliments at the parking lot(never happens on my other scooter).

Now the grips:  People just do not like scooter in front of them.  Even if I was kept pace with the traffic and not hindering anyone and minding my own business, I could feel them following closer to me then with cars, as though they think I am taking up too much space ahead of them! lol, not to mention they pre judge at the light when I am first, they usually changed lanes behind me afraid that I was going to cause traffic jams or just have something to poof.  Worse of all is when turning!! they don't show the courtesy of tape the brake a little bit or give you room/time to slow down when turning, like they see all that space ahead of them and they just want to take it... can't tell you how many times they would just over take on the same lane as soon as they see me scoot over and signal to turn!, forces me to brake harder turn faster when I am making turns, sight.  Last but not least is in traffic, if I don't sit in the middle of the lane, they would inch ever so closely like they want to squeeze me out of my lane.  When I sit in traffic, I like to be a little closer to either side, because I don't want to be rear end and sandwich, not to mention get out of the way easier if need to be.  Little do they know, it's more of opposite for me, I see the gaps between cars when standstill and just wish I could split lanes to get upfront, like in Asia/Europe.

Cons: 

wish the floorboard is bigger, barely could fit anything. 

Refuel is such hassel too, compare to People250, have to pop the seat every time and it is in the center of the bike, so when I use fuel canister, it would spill unless with funnel.  Cracked my Tail light assembly due to gasoline spill not cleaned up!!  some how the gasoline had a chemical reaction with the plastic tail light assembly and you can see all the micro fracture at the corner of the tail light assembly, wish I have know this, now I am extra careful when using fuel canister. 

They could of use aluminum rear grab bar instead of plastic, doesn't feel too secure with my 51L trunk loaded up, especially when I pushed it back as far I think is safe with factory steel bracket and 1/4 thick aluminum sheet as base mount. 

I do get occasional stumble(miss) when the engine is cold and sometimes it would shut off at the light, but fires right back up though, not sure what cause this. 

If I am being crowded/tail-gated as my turn approaches......I either speed up to get more rear room AND use oncoming lane if clear  to do my slowing/turning, or go on to next stop and turn off, then work back to the corner I needed.
If you stop near center stripe to wait to turn they will slip under your elbow and pass; if you stop lane center they might ram you.
No good solution if being tail-gated and needing to turn.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

kbshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 11:18:17 PM »
Cool.  Thx Stig.
I think I found it, it's the "CR7EIX".  : )

Thanks again!

yao

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
I found out why my bike was idling high and sometimes would shut off at the stop light.  It was the Fuel injector Seal!!  if not installed correctly, there would be a small air leak that causes the above symptoms. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()