Author Topic: 1 year maintenance-HELP!  (Read 1737 times)

zevsdad

• View Profile
1 year maintenance-HELP!
« on: June 11, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
I was able to replace the oil, oil filter, transmission oil, and clean the mesh filter
I need help with the following for my 1 year maintenance:

I cannot locate the spark plug--can anyone help me please!
-draining and then replacing the brake fluid --where on the bike is the drain and where is the refill place?
-draining and then replacing the coolant -- where on the bike is the drain and where is the refill place?
-replacing the air filter---where can I purchase the part!? and where is it located on the bike?
replacing the oil mesh filter -where can I purchase the part?

any help-especially with pictures or detailed information-would be greatly appreciated. Note-I have the full manual-put the pictures are hard for me to follow in some cases as I dont know where on the bike some of the things are. Thanks in advance!

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: 1 year maintenance-HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:35:28 PM »
First.  Do you have the Service Manual or the Owners manual ?
They differ significantly in detail.

2nd.  If you are a 2st time mechanic, then some of these tasks are beyond your skills,
   but then you really need the Service manual and a knowledgeable supervisor.

3rd.  Do you have the proper tools ?

4th.  Not all of the listed tasks have to be performed on an annual basis.  In fact, I would not do any of them after only 1 year.
       Brake fluid: 2 yrs.       Coolant: 5 yrs.         Plugs & filter:    when the engine ceases to run properly

Just our opinion.

scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:49:57 PM »
thanks for the response--so

1) I have both the service manual as well as the little owners manual. the service manual has much more detailed information. but alas-I still dont see where the spark plug is located. I understand it is under the seat-but Im not sure how to access it. cant be sure about the brake fluid and coolant instructions either-though I do have some idea

2) Id like to think of myself as a very amateur mechanical enthusiast....

3)I do have some tools--rachets, wrenches, spark plug rachet, ect. ect.

4)coolant in 5 years---really? my reseve tank looks pretty low--I live in Orlando Florida--its hot--bike has 6000 miles

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 06:41:31 PM »
If the coolant reserve tank is low, then simply top it off. Just like you would in a car. Just make sure to use the proper type of coolant. If you're not sure what type, ask the dealer.

As for the air cleaner, It is inside the air box right above the cvt cover. If you need a new air filter or mesh filter for the oil, the dealer can get you new OEM parts for it. Some others on here may be able to point you to web sites to order them cheaper though.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:32:14 PM »
  I have had good luck getting parts from kymcopartsmonster.com. That being said, let me say this. Check the air cleaner before buying one. Take it off and hold a lit light behind it. If you can see the light through it, then the air can get through. Air filters should be changed when dirty not necessarily on a time schedule. The oil mesh filter can also just be cleaned. It doesn't have to be replaced unless it's ripped or torn. These parts could get dirty in three months or three years. It depends on miles and the type of roads you ride. Dirt roads would get a filter dirty much quicker than paved highways. If and when you decide to change the spark plug, I suggest getting a Iridium one.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 01:22:54 PM »
Thanks-I'll get an Iridium-can these be purchased in a regular auto parts store? do I need to replace the spark plug after 6000 miles?
Also-for the coolant-can I use a 50/50 mixture?
also-does anyone know anything about the break fluid? I havn't seen anyone anwser this part
finally-whats up with the dr.pulleys 14g sliders--i keep seeing that here.

thanks

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »
Thanks-I'll get an Iridium-can these be purchased in a regular auto parts store? do I need to replace the spark plug after 6000 miles?
Also-for the coolant-can I use a 50/50 mixture?
also-does anyone know anything about the break fluid? I havn't seen anyone anwser this part
finally-whats up with the dr.pulleys 14g sliders--i keep seeing that here.

thanks
Follow the maintenance schedule as listed in your owner's manual.
50/50 coolant type listed in your manual is perfect.
Iridiums for your scooter can be ordered from most auto parts stores.
Do a web search to find the Iridium version of your stock NGK plug you have now.
@ $8 for the plug.
Brake fluid type is listed in your owner's manual. It is usually replaced every 2 yrs. There are videos on youtube for this....study them, and find your scooter's reservoirs.
Dr Pulley CVT 'slider' weights are popular with some owners....but the stock Kymco 'roller' weights work very well too. If you replace the 'roller' weights - use only Kymco parts.
Keep asking questions if you have them....no problem.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()