Author Topic: 2018 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS  (Read 26046 times)

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
Re: 2018 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 03:49:35 AM »
 >:(

You mean you got the rear rack?

I'm trying to decide now. I was hoping for photos(and advice) from you.

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 03:53:35 AM »
>:(

You mean you got the rear rack?

I'm trying to decide now. I was hoping for photos(and advice) from you.

Haven’t even received the rack yet, i’ll still be receiving it, but unless they same-day ship it, I’ll still be getting it, just after my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »
Great News! I got the Givi Windshield!
It’s really great (it doesn’t mount QUITE right, the plastic bars that go over the sport windshield don’t really belong, but it works.)
It definitely gets rid of the bobble head effect.
However, it makes you into a bullet, i was hitting speeds that felt like HALF what they were, so you’ll need to get used to it.
The mirrors are an issue, much like everyone says, but that’s exactly why i’m going to get the euro indicators, so I can change out to different mirrors!
The ride was quite terrifying though, we finally are getting hit by the huge storm system (upper NY) and it quite literally through me across my lane, the lane next to me, and nearly off the road. Hurray for ABS, it had its first real test, and in heavy rain!

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 06:44:41 PM »
I canceled my order from SHAD, they said they had everything, and then when I called in last they said they didn’t have the mount, so I canceled.
Maybe another time, but for now, this is going to be my only trip for probably a year. I’d rather have 630$ for the trip.

I understand they make one of the best cases on the market, but they REALLY need to work on their shipping and customer service.

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 07:42:59 PM »
I was posting on another forum of mixed bikes about some of the 400i details
I've owned 33 bikes/scooters. This is #8 on the scooter part of the list.
I've NEVER had a ride so easy to put onto the center stand.
While holding ONLY the left handlebar, I can press down on the stand while giving just a slight tug on the bar and she goes right up.

Maybe other Kymcos are this easy too, but I was pleasantly shocked and repeated it 2 more times just to make sure.

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 07:48:28 PM »
So just finished the first part of my vacation, the roadtrip!
Through the rain nearly constantly.
The Givi windshield does not flex even at 80mph and heavy wind and rain. I do NOT know what people were talking about.
FroggToggs are the greatest invention ever.
I love this scooter so incredibly much.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 09:16:56 PM »
I canceled my order from SHAD, they said they had everything, and then when I called in last they said they didn’t have the mount, so I canceled.
Maybe another time, but for now, this is going to be my only trip for probably a year. I’d rather have 630$ for the trip.

I understand they make one of the best cases on the market, but they REALLY need to work on their shipping and customer service.

$630 for a top case! Typical prices, and absolutely crazy for a plastic box. and a mount plate.

In my town - $630 would get you a decent banger for work commutes!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2018, 09:28:15 AM »
+1

I contacted him too. He doesn't have them, and wasn't very polite about it.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
Thanks Alexis and Clampett,

Some really good information on a bike I have been considering.

If I could ask, how does the weight size feel, it's a fairly heavy scoot and I do the majority of my driving in dense urban nyc, lots of stop and go, low speed lane splitting and such.

Also, how is the suspension?  The roads around here are terrible and my Like 200i often beats the heck out of me, even when I try my hardest to avoid all the mounds, hole and street steel.

Jon
Heya, Jon! Welcome!
I just got my 400I back in April, and let me tell you, coming from a Honda PCX, it was like going from a go-kart to Formula 1! The very first thought I had was "Damn, this thing is huge!" compared to my Honda. I won't share my second thought.  :o The only thing that I've ever noticed with regard to the weight is when I park at work. My workplace has a rule that motorcycles must be backed into parking spaces. My space is on a very slight hill, (there's a little less than 2" in height from the pavement at the curb to the pavement at the end of the white line of the space) Not quite enough for a ball to start rolling on it's own, but enough to feel the bike wanting to roll away from the curb when backed in. I have to get off the seat by inching forward, before I can pull the bike backwards into the parking space. I didn't have to do that with the Honda. I could walk her back.

The ride is a totally different animal too. The Honda was quick, nimble, and I felt like I could just zip and zoom if I needed to, except on the 50MPH road I travel on my commute. To the drivers on that road, the posted speed is a minimum, not a maximum speed. The Honda could barely keep up. With the 400i, I can not only keep up, but pass if I need to. Even going uphill. While it is quick, it isn't as quick as the Honda. Same with the maneuverability. I don't try to zip and zoom anyway, but the 400i isn't a weave-in-and-out bike (Not that the Honda was either, and I didn't drive it that way) so if I have to make  a quick lane change, I can. I would imagine there's a lot more to the 400i that I just haven't tried to push to find.

I don't worry about being on the road anymore, as I know I've got more power and size, and are more visible and have enough oomph to keep up.
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 09:51:50 AM »
Great News! I got the Givi Windshield!
It’s really great (it doesn’t mount QUITE right, the plastic bars that go over the sport windshield don’t really belong, but it works.)
It definitely gets rid of the bobble head effect.
However, it makes you into a bullet, i was hitting speeds that felt like HALF what they were, so you’ll need to get used to it.
The mirrors are an issue, much like everyone says, but that’s exactly why i’m going to get the euro indicators, so I can change out to different mirrors!
The ride was quite terrifying though, we finally are getting hit by the huge storm system (upper NY) and it quite literally through me across my lane, the lane next to me, and nearly off the road. Hurray for ABS, it had its first real test, and in heavy rain!

Wow, you've got far more courage than I do. I absolutely do not ride in the rain, under any circumstances. If there's even a 30% chance of rain, I'll get up when my wife gets up and drive her to work so I can have the car. I just won't take the chance.  I once had to ride to work with a threat of rain, and I thought "I can get home before it starts" but I didn't make it. I had to pull off the road to wait it out for two hours under the bay of an abandoned car wash. At my age, I'm like a cat. I don't like getting wet... Yeah, that's it...
WRT the windscreen,I had a similar experience with the Ermax I put on Diana. I absolutely concur that adding a bit more screen totally changes the way the bike feels at speed. The buffeting was cut way down, and I noticed a significant reduction in the noise too. The only problem I've had is that instead of getting pounded in the chest with the wind, I get a burble right at the top of my visor at the top of my helmet. I'm 5'-10", and the Ermax windscreen is about 3" - 4"inches too short to be perfect. I wish I could get them to make me a special screen that was 3" taller, without the weird shaped sides.

I heard somewhere, and I don't know where I heard this  :o , but there was supposed to be some guy that put a new Ermax windscreen on his Kymco Xciting 400i, and went out for a ride. I heard (and I don't remember where I heard this  :o ) but he got out on the road, and looked at the speedometer, and found that he was doing almost 70mph. I heard (and I don't remember where I heard this  :o ) but he had thought he was only doing about 50. As I said, I don't remember where I heard that, but having a good windscreen does make a huge difference.  ???

---
1982 Honda PA-50

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »
We made it to Baltimore last week (no help to the PA->MD roads.) It was a cake walk. I almost caught the exhaust on fire though (the fluff material between the exhaust and cover.)
But i had been running pretty high for a while due to the traffic being so bad.

I highly recommend the windshield after more riding. And honestly i don’t even care about how it keeps you from turning the handle bars that extra inch.

Also, since no one delivered on some kind of top/side case. I ran a small bungie from each side (the first bolts on the railing) of the trunk, to jansport messenger bags.
This worked INCREDIBLY well, far better than expecting, our clothes stayed dry in the rain on the first leg, and held up until a really bad bit of rain blinded us.
If you can’t get your hands on a case, I recommend this sort of idea.

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2018, 12:19:29 AM »
Alexis,
No picture(s) of your set up?

Ok, first observation for me on the gas fill ups. Three fill ups. One by dealer which I'm not sure if it was to the top or just close, then 2 by me right to the top.
After I get consistent with the fill limit, my readings will improve the accuracy of course.
First bar is approx 1.2 gallons used.
Second bar...not sure yet. Didn't notice the mileage when the 2nd bar disappeared.
Third bar is 2.3 gallons used.
Fourth bar or flashing used 2.8 gallons or had 1/2 gallon left.
From the time the flashing bar started until I filled up was only 3 miles, so that should still be close enough for estimating your range.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 12:47:03 AM »
Alexis,
No picture(s) of your set up?

Ok, first observation for me on the gas fill ups. Three fill ups. One by dealer which I'm not sure if it was to the top or just close, then 2 by me right to the top.
After I get consistent with the fill limit, my readings will improve the accuracy of course.
First bar is approx 1.2 gallons used.
Second bar...not sure yet. Didn't notice the mileage when the 2nd bar disappeared.
Third bar is 2.3 gallons used.
Fourth bar or flashing used 2.8 gallons or had 1/2 gallon left.
From the time the flashing bar started until I filled up was only 3 miles, so that should still be close enough for estimating your range.

I was going to do the Fuelly thing, but just got lazy, and I'm not that retentive... I can go about 200-210 miles or so on a tank, which comes out to somewhere around 60-62 mpg. But I don't dog it, I don't rev it unnecessarily, and I don't slam away from the lights. I drive it like a Rolls Royce, not an Aston Martin. I imagine that if I rode her a little harder, I'd get 50-55mpg or so. It's a far cry from the 85-90 mpg I used to get on the PCX, but that was only 153cc, and Diana is 400cc.

I'd estimate around 180 - 200 miles on range, on a full tank.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2018, 02:22:49 PM »
I do a lot of "Stopping to smell the roses" type riding.
I take photos of the scoots with flowers, old buildings, scenic views, animals, etc.
When I do this, I usually put it on center stand so I don't have to cut off the engine.
I know it isn't much, but just a 1/10 of a gallon can make a big change to your mpg on a scooter.

I've been using Acar app on my phone for a few years. Long term tracking gives a more accurate mpg indication.

Thanks for ya'lls feed back / input.

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2018, 02:59:58 PM »
Still working on my set up, No pictures yet!
I noticed something big, the peak fuel efficiency for me, with the windshield, is somewhere between 55mph-65mph, with light wind, at 75 I burn through fuel in about 2 hours.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()