Author Topic: 2018 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS  (Read 26044 times)

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
Re: 2018 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 09:10:40 PM »
Few more things.
They team that wrote the owners manual either didn't know what they were doing or got confused between models.
I'm mentally picturing 2 Thai guys in suit/tie sitting in a corner of their office laughing their butts off because their boss doesn't know English and they pulled one off.

Manual says to push the MODE button to cycle between ODO, Trips A/B, and oil change interval.
After trying multiple combinations, I found that pressing and holding the ADJ button to get the next item.
Pressing MODE/ADJ together will zero the trip.
If on the ODO display, pressing and holding the MODE will change mph/kph.
On the ODO display, pressing/holding MODE/ADJ gets to the set clock.
So far, I've not found the air temp and avg mpg display.
That page of the manual is going to be covered with notes as a reminder for me later, or for the next owner.

Back to the mirrors. Saw that someone else put the extensions on them but the rubber caps were all catty wampus after that.
After a hour of tinkering, I found that repositioning the whole mirror more forward(rotating toward the fairing), then adjusting the actual mirror made it more usable.
Both mirrors are the wide view (Objects may be closer than they appear) type and have the warning on them
Now that I've got them adjusted, they are still too close, BUT they are more pleasing and usable rather than a view of just my chest and the road edge.

I love the center stand. I've had Elite to Burgman scooters and never had one so easy to put on the center stand.
The rear tire does come off the ground, but when you place it on the stand, you'll do a double take the first time to make sure.
Ok, exaggeration just a bit, but I did take it off and do it again immediately because I wasn't sure it was so easy.

Easy storage solution #1. A got a fanny pack and sat it between the handle bars, wrapped the strap up, behind and then around to the outside of the bars then under (side facing me) and back to the other side. The fanny pack sits right in the middle. Easy to take off and strap to me. I used this previously on my B650E.
#2. Ok, don't know yet, but the wood is burning.

Most of you know, but just in case there is one that wants to know, the bars are 7/8" if you want to buy new grips. I already replaced mine with the Pro Grip 714.
Well, for now that's what is on it. I got a shelf full of grips and always changing them depending on if riding local, long distance, or expecting to hit twisties more.
Funny how different grips can make a big difference in the feel/feed back from the scoot/bike.

If anyone wants the torque specs, let me know and I'll get you the info. Pretty sure I can't post a copy from the shop manual here due to copyright restrictions.

I found the display strange when I first sat on the Xciting. After 30+ minutes, I found the positioning of the information oddly better than the Swing.
I just glance and the info kinda jumps out without trying to focus on it. FYI: I'm an old fart wearing bifocals and the only two things that are easy for me to focus on are big mountains and bikini's.

I live on a tar/gravel road. It is one mile before I reach smooth tarmac. This little scooter is much smoother than all except the Burger on this road. Even my big V4 Honda gave me jarring feedback through the handlebars. No, not smooth like a Goldwing, but still better than one(me?) would expect from a 400cc scoot.

One odd thing about the underseat storage. When I place my helmet under the seat, there is enough room, BUT it tends to slide out of place where the seat will hit it
prior to my closing the seat.
I have to hold it in place or have something else to hold it in place or it will move toward the front and be in a shallow place where the seat doesn't close.
The seat latch is nice. One hook on each side of the seat. It closes and stays nice and snug. On most others, there is one hood and the seat can tend to wobble a bit if it doesn't seat well when closed. More miles will see if it loosens up or stays put. As of now, I prefer it to the Honda version.
The seat can be opened while running by pushing down on the key, then turning left. I finally don't have to stop the engine or use a separate key.

The manual says the LED under the seat stays on, but mine goes off after about a minute. Surprised me the first time. Didn't have a watch to check the time, but that is plenty of time and don't have to worry about it wearing the battery down like the Swing.

There is a small button on the left of the key switch to press after removing the key that will activate a spring loaded cover. It works great, but to me it appears a bit flimsy. I don't know how to describe it. It works well, so it may just be me, but due to this feeling I'll be using it sparingly. I do have the five year extended warranty so I guess could play with it a little extra to see if my fears are founded...... :o

Due to the extra seat height, riding with my feet on the flat portion of the boards doesn't feel like my knees are too high. I only have a 28" inseam and can't flat foot when stopped, but while riding it is very comfortable.

Later...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »
Your handling and ride will improve dramatically when you replace the OEM Maxxis tires. Maxxis Much Miserable!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 10:00:19 PM »
Comparing the Xciting 400i to my Swing

solo pics

The lone storage space on the console and has a 1.25 amp charging socket

Reference for the small size of the storage (she only fits with her ears folded down). Your phablet won't fit.

The dual seat struts

The extra space under the seat in the center for tall helmet

A nice firm/secure dual latch at the rear of the seat

The icons on the ignition work as they look. The yellow button closes the shutter over the ignition and you have to use the magnet on the key
to slide it out of place

The dash. Yep, a very personal preference. I like it. You can look at the speed and easily see the tach at the same time.
As I said, it's personal. Some don't even like the tach.
The Mode/Adj buttons don't work like the manual says, but you can figure them out.
I've developed a high mistrust of the OM. But, I'm keeping it and using it as much as possible.
If something goes awry from following the manual, then it is on them.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 10:41:39 PM »
Sorry, I forget if you've already mentioned....
But why the Kymco if you have a SilverWing?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 10:57:43 PM »
They are different of course. The Swing is great for touring, camping, shopping, two up, pulling a trailer, etc.....
The Kymco is great for local running to see mom daily, running errands, trips not requiring the camping gear, running to neighbors, etc.

And yes I understand one locgically can do the other just the same as I can haul bags of concrete in my sedan instead of my work truck or my work truck can carry the family out fine dining.

However, more importantly, SWMBO said I can have both so I got 'em without asking any additional questions.  8)

YMMV

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 11:32:50 PM »
But why the Kymco if you have a SilverWing?

Not married?  :o
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 12:11:39 AM »
They team that wrote the owners manual either didn't know what they were doing or got confused between models. I'm mentally picturing 2 Thai guys in suit/tie sitting in a corner of their office laughing their butts off because their boss doesn't know English and they pulled one off.

Manual says to push the MODE button to cycle between ODO, Trips A/B, and oil change interval.
After trying multiple combinations, I found that pressing and holding the ADJ button to get the next item.
Pressing MODE/ADJ together will zero the trip.
If on the ODO display, pressing and holding the MODE will change mph/kph.
On the ODO display, pressing/holding MODE/ADJ gets to the set clock.
So far, I've not found the air temp and avg mpg display.
That page of the manual is going to be covered with notes as a reminder for me later, or for the next owner.

Wouldn't that be 2 Taiwanese guys instead of 2 guys from Thailand?  ;)

Kymco doesn't have the owners manual online yet for the Xciting 400i but sounds exactly like my MyRoad 700i. Here's the info from ,you owners manual.

(1) Mile/Kilometer, Keep pressing MODE button for two seconds will shift the unit of speed (km or mile)
(2) Tripmeter/Odometer, Keep pressing ADJ button for 2 seconds will shift function to ODO or TRIPA/TRIPB
(3) Oil Service Reset, Keep pressing MODE and ADJ buttons for 2 seconds at the same time to reset oil service
(4) Trip Reset, Keep pressing MODE and ADJ buttons for two seconds in the same time will reset the trip meter.
(5) Time adjustment, Keep pressing and ADJ buttons at the same time to adjust clock. Then the hour display will start flashing, press button ADJ to adjust hour. Then press button MODE, the minute display will start flashing, press button ADJ to adjust minute. Press the and ADJ at the same time to end the time adjustment.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2018, 01:51:33 AM »
Wouldn't that be 2 Taiwanese guys instead of 2 guys from Thailand?  ;)

Kymco doesn't have the owners manual online yet for the Xciting 400i but sounds exactly like my MyRoad 700i. Here's the info from ,you owners manual.

(1) Mile/Kilometer, Keep pressing MODE button for two seconds will shift the unit of speed (km or mile)
(2) Tripmeter/Odometer, Keep pressing ADJ button for 2 seconds will shift function to ODO or TRIPA/TRIPB
(3) Oil Service Reset, Keep pressing MODE and ADJ buttons for 2 seconds at the same time to reset oil service
(4) Trip Reset, Keep pressing MODE and ADJ buttons for two seconds in the same time will reset the trip meter.
(5) Time adjustment, Keep pressing and ADJ buttons at the same time to adjust clock. Then the hour display will start flashing, press button ADJ to adjust hour. Then press button MODE, the minute display will start flashing, press button ADJ to adjust minute. Press the and ADJ at the same time to end the time adjustment.

Thanks for the correction. That was one of the few mistakes I've made and knew the difference(Usually when corrected, I have the deer with the headlight in the eye look) ::). Don't know why I said Thai, but I'll leave it since you corrected it.

Yes!!!! That is correct in how I got it to work. But not what the manual says. The OM even show a completely different styled dash. So, there is no Avg MPG to display I'm guessing?????? (Along with no air temp either per the manual).

Hey, maybe the problem is 2 Thailand guys writing for the Taiwan company hahahahahaha

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 04:47:56 AM »
Hey guys, I got a good question, I want to switch the blinkers to the euroblinkers. Any idea how?

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 01:21:18 PM »
Hey guys, I got a good question, I want to switch the blinkers to the euroblinkers. Any idea how?

I'd contact a guy on eBay (androidextend) and see if he can get them. He was able to get me the ones for my MyRoad 700i (his listing photo show's them on my bike).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:26:06 PM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
+1

Jonnielights

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 03:13:25 PM »
Thanks Alexis and Clampett,

Some really good information on a bike I have been considering.

If I could ask, how does the weight size feel, it's a fairly heavy scoot and I do the majority of my driving in dense urban nyc, lots of stop and go, low speed lane splitting and such.

Also, how is the suspension?  The roads around here are terrible and my Like 200i often beats the heck out of me, even when I try my hardest to avoid all the mounds, hole and street steel.

Jon
2015 Kymco Like 200i LX- Gold with Black Stripes
2015 Honda CB500XA- Grey and Yellow
Queens, NYC

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
Thanks Alexis and Clampett,

Some really good information on a bike I have been considering.

If I could ask, how does the weight size feel, it's a fairly heavy scoot and I do the majority of my driving in dense urban nyc, lots of stop and go, low speed lane splitting and such.

Also, how is the suspension?  The roads around here are terrible and my Like 200i often beats the heck out of me, even when I try my hardest to avoid all the mounds, hole and street steel.

Jon

Tighten the rear suspension, one or two depending. Fixes all my problems; our roads get pretty terrible in NNY.
The bike’s weight is amazing, and it’s low to the ground, so easy to balance too. However if you start to drop it, it gets really hard to keep from going. But that only happens if you let it lean very far at a stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 12:40:07 AM »
+1 on what Alexis said.
For me it is super light and nimble, BUT I'm down sizing from a CTX1300 and a Silver Wing scooter which are both heavier.

It's the best scooter on rough roads except maybe the B650. Well, of the 8 I've owned.
I have the shocks on the middle setting. The first road I must drive to leave my house is 1 mile long tar and gravel which is even rough in a nice car.
Something like an Altima will be damaged on initial ride on our lovely county unmaintained road.

For an example comparison of my road, you can view the first 3 minutes of my video with my little Fujifilm handheld:

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 02:36:32 AM »
I have learned something today.
Somehow you can get a box from motostorm in ITALY, before Shad will even ship your top case.
Been calling for the past two weeks, letting them know that I did need it by the 24th, even offering to pay extra for shipping if needed.
But it hasn’t even been PROCESSED.
I know they make one of the best cases, but they need to work on that end of their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()