Author Topic: odd noise under hard acceleration  (Read 17974 times)

speedee86

• 2012 Kymco Xciting 500 RI ABS
    • View Profile
Re: odd noise under hard acceleration
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »
I may have experienced the same thing you're talking about. And this is after a new belt, variator and rollers. I was loaded for s'camping; a tent, bedroll, clothes, food and stove. Occasionally, mine would make a funny growl. It came from the variator side, most likely inside the drive train according to my ears. It was quick and low pitched, and that was all. Just a quirky noise.

Sounds about right.

So another question. Adjusting the idle speed on the fuel injected models. Its just the idle speed screw that you access under the seat under the carb maintenance hatch right. There is no other like computer adjusting needed? Seems like no matter how much I adjust it, the rpms after a few stop and restarts lower back down to like 1100 rpm. I am making small adjustments. Should I just keep adjusting it up till I get it? Should I check the plug to see if its fouled, even though it is new. The bike runs great, just the very occasional stall out while at a stop once the rpms drop.   Ideas anyone?
always leave yourself an exit incase you get stuck in a pinch. RIDE SAFE!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 11:02:33 PM »
The Idle speed adjust is directly related to the Idle Air Break, and the TPS. I believe that is why you keep getting "reset". From the service manual you need to find what the idle air break is supposed to be set at, as well as the voltage reading for the TPS. It may be that just one or the other is slightly out of adjustment but both are VERY easy to set.
A feeler gauge, and a digital volt meter are all you need. (phillips screwdriver)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 11:55:08 PM »
Do you always use 92 octane? Sounds exactly like detonation, high load demand etc. You could have carbon deposits on the piston/ valves. Also I will say the larger engine Kymcos make sort of a grunting growling noise under hard acceleration.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 12:36:05 AM »
I called the shop and was talking with the guy. He mentioned that it could be related to the gpr exhaust. Before, the valves were too tight. Now they are to spec and the ecu is trying to compensate since I dont have a power commander tune. So im gonna slap the oem pipe on and see how it does tomorrow. Maybe that will give me an answer and I can go from there. There may not be enough back pressure. I could try adding the db killer back in but think I may try the oem pipe first. Give me a for sure answer. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 03:10:02 AM »
Maybe going back to the beginning...  I wonder if the injector is not capable of supplying enough pulse width or fuel per cycle. I mean the whole thing screams "lean" in my mind. If you find swapping pipes cures it, perhaps you should look into larger injectors. They HAVE to be available cheap..
Better than getting stuck w/ a pipe you can't use.

Perhaps an email to the pipe companies tech guy.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2014, 03:29:41 AM »
Maybe going back to the beginning...  I wonder if the injector is not capable of supplying enough pulse width or fuel per cycle. I mean the whole thing screams "lean" in my mind. If you find swapping pipes cures it, perhaps you should look into larger injectors. They HAVE to be available cheap..
Better than getting stuck w/ a pipe you can't use.

Perhaps an email to the pipe companies tech guy.

Well, I slapped on the oem exhaust and been riding it all night. Problem seems to be solved, (knock on wood) . Running great, idle is fine and around qhere it needs to be. After speaking to the shop before hand, he had a feeling it would be the case. He is gonna look into a power commander for me. Ao on the oem pipe for the mean time but rather have it running reliably than sound cool and not be sure if it will stall at a stop or not lol.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2014, 03:41:27 AM »
It all sounds about right. What is this Power Commander? It's it an add on for the computer or a reprogramming tool?

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2014, 04:20:01 AM »
It all sounds about right. What is this Power Commander? It's it an add on for the computer or a reprogramming tool?
I believe its an add on to the ecu for reprogramming

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2014, 10:58:01 PM »
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/

Some cool stuff! I'm SURE you can nail it down now.
 I went the same route w/ HPI on the Ignition side, and for 600.00 bucks I gained perhaps 10 usable MPH that I couldn't have revved into before.

Nothing like getting control of your engine

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2014, 12:24:46 AM »
I have the same exhaust as Speedee, however, I run it with the db killer, or street-legal baffle installed and have no problems. Not necessarily a large increase in power. It's a smoother running engine. And this exhaust weighs a lot less than oem. I mean a lot, like 10 or 12 pounds lighter. I also have a hi-flo air filter that I made using the stock filter box with Unifoam cut to size. Unifoam is used by motocross racers. No trouble with engine. Runs smooth and sweet.

Just returned from 870 mile tour, camping in the Davey Crockett National Forest. The piney woods of east Texas. Scooter performed like a dream, even when heavy loaded facing a stiff head wind that often veered to the port bow, ( left side of front).
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2014, 12:40:17 AM »
Livin' the dream Bongo.

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/

Some cool stuff! I'm SURE you can nail it down now.
 I went the same route w/ HPI on the Ignition side, and for 600.00 bucks I gained perhaps 10 usable MPH that I couldn't have revved into before.

Nothing like getting control of your engine

Oh ok. Nice!

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
I have the same exhaust as Speedee, however, I run it with the db killer, or street-legal baffle installed and have no problems. Not necessarily a large increase in power. It's a smoother running engine. And this exhaust weighs a lot less than oem. I mean a lot, like 10 or 12 pounds lighter. I also have a hi-flo air filter that I made using the stock filter box with Unifoam cut to size. Unifoam is used by motocross racers. No trouble with engine. Runs smooth and sweet.

Just returned from 870 mile tour, camping in the Davey Crockett National Forest. The piney woods of east Texas. Scooter performed like a dream, even when heavy loaded facing a stiff head wind that often veered to the port bow, ( left side of front).

Yeah, I tried it with the dbkiller yesterday and it did better.  It runs great either way.  The issue is the idle. Not enough back pressure. Was better with dbkiller. I tried to see if it would die out. Inly stalled when i posted it hard at idle. I turned on hi beams, emergency lights and the cooling fan kicked on, that dropped the revs low enough that it eventually stalled. but I rode it around stop and go and highway for a while and it did fine with the DB killer in it. I put the stock pipe back on again for now so that I can ride it around for a few days and make sure the rpm and idol is consistent before I try to run it with the DB killer again. I'm trying to avoid having to buy the tuning module. I think the electronic system for the fuel injection in my 2012 might be different or more sensitive than that of your 2007

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2014, 07:59:43 PM »
I went the same route w/ HPI on the Ignition side,

Zombie, will you supply some more details about that? I am always looking for more oomph in the 65 to 80 mph range, cause I tour a lot. In fact, me and Sissy Mary are running around in circles hoping to run into each other one of these days. I think our compasses are tilted at a 90degree angle.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2014, 11:22:01 PM »
I bought a completely programmable ignition /charging system from HPI. http://www.hpi.be

It;s the best money I spent out of thousands in my bike.

In the case of an ECU bike you need to either reprogram the OEM ECU (which is not always do-able) or a replacement ECU with appropriate software to tune injection pulse width and timing, along with the ability to install specific Ignition timing control parameters.

I'l bet w/ the right pipe you could gain 10HP with a computer. Maybe 2 seconds off an 1/8th mile.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()