Author Topic: odd noise under hard acceleration  (Read 17972 times)

speedee86

• 2012 Kymco Xciting 500 RI ABS
    • View Profile
odd noise under hard acceleration
« on: May 10, 2014, 04:19:56 AM »
Hey guys, question. Every now and then I hear a almost popping noise, hard to describe. Sounds like a hesitation in the exhaust. My air filter is rather dirty. I have a dna filter on the way to replace it. So a hesitation would make sense. And its not constant. Only sometimes and it like when i take off, if I hit it hard then it does it sometimes. I just replaced the spark plug.  It was due according to the manual but the air filter I need to wait till the new one comes.
Anyway, any ideas? Odd sound, hesitation,  popping grunting sound under hard acceleration. Not a back fire though.  Thanks in advance
always leave yourself an exit incase you get stuck in a pinch. RIDE SAFE!

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: odd noise under hard acceleration
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 05:12:05 AM »
Maybe just dirt in carb... and like you said... the filter...

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 05:14:42 AM »
Im thinkin the air filter.  Its fuel injected, maybe I need to get some injector cleaner. Has 16800 miles on it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:32:45 AM »
Sea Foam. It works.

Double the dose on the can.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 03:55:46 PM »
I actually just picked some of that up yesterday. So it says 1 ounce per gallon. Its a 3.3 gallon tank so I was gonna wait till I fill up. It has about half tank right now. Should I just add some in? How much if I do?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:55:05 PM »
6.6oz to a full tank... 3.3 to a half tank. Replace the filter, and use the Sea Foam.

About once a month I use it a regular dose-age, and never have any fuel problems. When I pick up a used bike or customer repair job its the first thing that goes in the tank.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:26:17 AM »
6.6oz to a full tank... 3.3 to a half tank. Replace the filter, and use the Sea Foam.

About once a month I use it a regular dose-age, and never have any fuel problems. When I pick up a used bike or customer repair job its the first thing that goes in the tank.

Nice, I followed the dose on the bottle. I had about a half tank and added just over an ounce. I will do a regular dose when I fill up next.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:54:57 AM »
Did you replace the air filter? I would also do the Fuel filter.

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »
Did you replace the air filter? I would also do the Fuel filter.
i am waiting for the air filter to be shipped to me. ordered a dna air filter. i did a little sea foam as i mentioned. have checked the fuel filter, where is that at on the bike. also, i got to work and heard the noise a bit after i got off the freeway and took off from a light when i got on it a bit. when i pulled up i noticed something odd on my gpr exhaust.
so to explain, i have a gpr slipon, i removed the db killer so all that is in there is the larger diameter pipe, inset in the tip, that inner steel pipe seems to be loose so i think that may be causing the rattling sound a bit. so i put the bd killer back in with the c-clamp that fits in the slot to hold it in place, that will also push in that inner pipe and hold everything in place. we will see if i hear that sound on the ride home. that inner pipe in the muffler vibrating and rattling could have been making that sound but not sure. i will let you know my findings.
unfortunately now is will be quieter but if that was the noise then i just need to figure out how to re-adhere that pipe inside so that it doesnt rattle, or just keep the db killer in. but i love how it sounds without it.
btw, even with the small dose of sea foam i added. it already runs smoother and i seemed to gain a bit more of top end back, cant wait for my new dna filter to get here :)

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 05:09:38 PM »
Hey Zombie, do you think Seafoam is as good as B&G? I use that in my '09.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 03:11:40 PM »
ok, so got my dna air filter yeasterday, installed that, filled up with gas and added 3oz of seafoam per the bottle. running good but................................  still making that friggin noise!!!!! ah!!!!!   it is only under hard acceleration and under load. i tried to recreate it while it was up on the main stand and it doesnt do it. so confused. and if i do it from a stop it doesnt do it. its like if i am already moving at maybe 3000-3500 rpm and then hit it like to merge on the freeway. almost wondering if it is cvt related. i would think if it was engine related that i would be able to replicate it at the same rpm on the main stand and i cant. it is only under load. it isnt back firing, isnt running wierd. no check engine lights or anything are on. also if i dont hit it and work up to it, it wont do it really. very confusing. gonna call the shop and ask them.
also, wondering if it could be plug related still, i had taken it to my nearby shop and they said it called for a cr8e ngk plug and the manual i downloaded says cr7e. its a 2012 xciting 500ri, what do you guys run in yours? any ideas anyone has could help.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:20:37 PM by speedee86 »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:16:47 PM »
I believe your problem is TWO fold.
First the better flowing pipe MAY be causing a lean condition at load, and higher RPM. Couple that with the #7 lug (hotter running plug), and you amplify the issue.

The #8 is a colder running plug so it may help by itself, and you might want to enrich your Idle circuit 1/4 - 1/2 a turn because that will carry over more fuel thru the entire range.

The next step would be to go up one jet size or one injector size depending on what engine you have. I think you are simply running a little lean on the top end.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Hey Zombie, do you think Seafoam is as good as B&G? I use that in my '09.

Never tried B&G. I've used SeaFoam for 15 or so years, and know it works. Before that I tried alot of brands, and none of them work. That's why many believe SeaFoam is another "snake oil". It's not. It works.

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 11:00:32 PM »
I believe your problem is TWO fold.
First the better flowing pipe MAY be causing a lean condition at load, and higher RPM. Couple that with the #7 lug (hotter running plug), and you amplify the issue.

The #8 is a colder running plug so it may help by itself, and you might want to enrich your Idle circuit 1/4 - 1/2 a turn because that will carry over more fuel thru the entire range.

The next step would be to go up one jet size or one injector size depending on what engine you have. I think you are simply running a little lean on the top end.

makes sense however i had encountered this issue before the pipe and it went away quickly. thats why i originally thought it was due to my dirty air filter. also, when im on the freeway already going 70mph, if i hit it, it does fine, no noise or anything. its actually quite hard to replicate. it is fuel injected and the ecu compensated for the new exhaust. all was fine and then this issue showed up receently. i would also think the O2 sensor would have thrown a light if it was running lean right?  not arguing, just putting out my thoughts.
i am taking it to my shop today, gonna have them go through the 16000 mile service stuff that i havent done yet like, check the belt, clutch, valves, throttle. etc have it gone through and through.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 11:19:33 PM »
What you say make sense. Post up when you get it sorted.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()