Author Topic: Tire Cupping??  (Read 7198 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Cupping??
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:35:27 AM »
Or simple to check your alignment, try the string test.
I did and it's spot on.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 12:51:10 AM »
Or simple to check your alignment, try the string test.

That is where I said there is NO point of reference to judge by on these scoots. They may indeed be parallel (front to rear) but the square to ground may be off.
I'm not trying to be dramatic or anything.... Just stating what I have found on all these scooters.

Naughty Lee... I assume you meant the rear tire. That's where the OP's issue is. That's where my problems always are/ were as well.

Something else that comes to mind are the red or green dots they always place on a tire from the factory. Red dot means the heavy spot or side of the tire, and the dot should be installed opposite the valve stem, and a green dot is the lighter side that should mount on the valve stem side. Manufactures have not gotten together yet on this one, and most installers are unaware of the dots meanings. That makes balancing a "catch up" game instead of maybe not even being needed.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 12:59:28 AM »

Take a look at your rear tyres, they should look like the edge of a coke can.. Round.
If they are going square across the profile, your doing too many miles in a straight line.. Buy a Harley!

;D

Go easy on Mr. Stig, it's hard to drag pegs whislt eating donuts
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 01:23:29 AM »
I think I'm going with the Trailing Edge of Certain Types of Tread Blocks Squirm theorum today.
Basically it means my City Grips are gripping as advertised.
Keeping bakers employed in the MidWest....Stig
(true confession: I do Tim Horton's more for the coffee than the do-wackers. Keep your old paper cups from Tim's, and the pasteboard tray. Put your new hot cup of joe in that stack of used cups - keeps it warm till you get out in the boonies on a frigid sunrise ride.)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 01:31:17 AM »
Drag slicks... End of thread! ;D
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 01:39:15 AM »
Or just join the darkside.

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 03:20:23 AM »
Or just join the darkside.

Don't tease me... I just might!  I LOVE that style scoot.  Here we go. Another 6G's on crappy ass scooters. Damn!

I just zoomed in. He has cupping too! WTF!!!

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 03:41:09 AM »
Stig, I think what you are experiencing is "normal" wear for your type of riding.  Below is a picture of a fairly new tire on a new to me bike, that had been ridden by an older gentleman who obviously took it easy in the turns.  Carrying Tom Horton's coffee, I assume.

I've only put a few hundred miles on the bike and have yet to drag pegs, but am gunning to wear off the chicken strips soon.  I am not sure if it's too late to save the tire from a Tim Horton's fate but I'm dam sure going to try.

Regardless, if I see that XXXL helmet coming down the road, I'm gonna wave!  Peace.   ;D

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:48:06 AM by CosmoKorny »
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 04:41:29 AM »
Not to appear disagreeable Cosmo but I don't see any sign of the "cupping" we are talking about. In fact I would say that is a perfectly worn tire.
Although I do agree it has been ridden at 90* to the road for most of its life, and you can tell he preferred left turns to right.  ;D

Ps... That looks like a KendaTire
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:57:56 AM by zombie »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 04:47:13 AM »
Try this for sh**s, and giggles Stig... Try a known square straight edge across both sides of the rear tire that is long enough to reach across the entire front tire. Just like the string test but without any chance for deflection.

It may be best to have someone help to be sure there is no bias. Even a few thousandths of an inch is what I am talking about in my replies. I am VERY curious.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »
Not to appear disagreeable Cosmo but I don't see any sign of the "cupping" we are talking about. In fact I would say that is a perfectly worn tire.
Although I do agree it has been ridden at 90* to the road for most of its life, and you can tell he preferred left turns to right.  ;D

Ps... That looks like a KendaTire

Hmmm...  what do I know.

Dunlop Elite 3.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 11:02:19 PM »
Hmmm...  what do I know.

Dunlop Elite 3.

Just sayin'   Go back to Stigs first post w/ the picts. you can see what appear to be 1/4" raises on most of the  tread. It's as uneven as the grand canyon (almost).

I can't see that in your picts.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 03:07:02 AM »
Stig... loose some weight... end of thread..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 03:52:04 AM »
And Vivo gets yet another Kymco "I fixed it on line" T shirt. Employee of the month, every month, since the beginning of months.

Shenanigans!!!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 04:15:35 PM »
Stig... loose some weight... end of thread..
Did my mother text you?!
(I went out and added 2psi to the rear tire. 2 over the spec now - but maybe it's all those tools, rollers, plugs, belts and bulbs I'm still carrying under the seat!)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:19:25 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()