Author Topic: belts gates vs malossi  (Read 5571 times)

dreflu

• View Profile
belts gates vs malossi
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:54:01 PM »
is there really any difference in the gates and malossi belts? i can get a gates belt quicker and cheaper. i'm wondering if its worth the extra time and money for marossi

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: belts gates vs malossi
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:56:28 PM »
..the gates will work fine...

..been running one for 15,000+ km...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »
thanks! i didn't think it would be to much diffrence. i got 16000+ kilos on my scoot and when i switched rollers i looked at the belt and it said kymco!!! i'm thinking its the belt it came with. new belt should help my top end

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:06:16 AM »
wow! finally got around to putting the belt on and it runs like a different machine. i can bury the 50 on the speedo. and its a gates

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 03:59:40 AM »
Just to top this off, I replaced my Malossi about 3-4 months ago. Just routine maintenance. Well I popped it a few days ago. I thought the Malossi was bullet proof.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

z28sb400

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 10:55:30 AM »
 The gates belt is better then the mallosi,It is designed for street use,ie...thousands of heat and cool cycles,the mallosi is a racing belt,it is designed to get"sticky"as it gets hot for more grip during racing,problem is,being kevalar it has not flex or stretch and will not survive street use,it is for racing,1/8 mile at a time,If you ask around,you will see that everybody that puts the mallosi on ends up walking home at one time with no warning either,But personally,I think mallosi sucks,the belts break,the variators wear out the guides very fast,their air cooled cylinders have wrist pin rattle at 7-8 k rpm's,I don't like mallosi and now their is no importer for mallosi,rosell imports is out of bussiness and took customers money and gave no parts over the past 2 months.I wouldn't bother,polini,metrakit,stage 6 are the companys for street worthy performance parts.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 12:03:07 AM »
I'd have to agree less than 100 miles on a molissi allready showin some fraying in the fiber.any thoughts on best veriator for the people 50.I know alot of people swear by the stock kymco belts.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

cygnusx8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 02:02:24 AM »
From what I've seen, Polini variator is all metal while even Malossi is partially made of plastic. I think Polini is around $110 but well worth the extra money. I've seen some on eBay for $30 but they're all plastic.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 02:08:13 AM »
What part is plastic? I have a Malossi on mine , and there is no plastic in it except the dampners. @ other quick points; I have 20'000km on my cast iron malossi 70c kit w/ NO trouble at all, and Roselle Imports can Bite My A$$. I have been recommending them for over a year on the forum, and they did go out like a punk!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

cygnusx8

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 02:11:32 AM »
Pic of plastic part below
http://www.scooterworks.com/Malossi_Variator_-_People_50__P2375C530.cfm
Pic of Polini :
http://www.scootertronics.com/povaky4tag.html
See the plastic part on Malossi?
Maybe you have a different model?

art

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 02:36:34 AM »
Hey thanks for the input.anyone else following this S.I.P. has either kit for just over $60 usd,I might try the pollini if I was ritch I'd get both 8)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 02:44:30 AM »
I'm not really sure what part you are refering too. The only plastic is in the dampners. Nothing else plastic would survive. If you mean the roller cover plate it is just painted black. I also see what appears to be a small bushing in the pict. but I have No idea what that is. It can't be a plastic bit tho.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 03:07:44 AM »
Ha! that settles that had to order both to meet the shipping requirments to U.S.A.Might be able to give you a comparison When my other build  is complete, thank again I think ???

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 03:08:52 AM »
You got me curious Bro!

cygnusx8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 03:14:04 AM »
I'm thinking about getting Polini so let me know how that works for you when you get it. Got my scoot used with Technigas Next R installed. I get about 50 mph top speed (if the speedometer is honest) so I'm not sure if previous owner has modified anything  besides the exhaust.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:16:29 AM by cygnusx8 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()