Author Topic: speeding up a people 50  (Read 11659 times)

dreflu

• View Profile
speeding up a people 50
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »
i have a 2001 people 50 i just bought and i've been looking for days on how to speed it up. it seems to get around 40 and quit pulling. i see where a washer can be taken out of some of them but that engine isn't the same. it looks like the generic chinnese motor. this one is different.

i saw where i could change the cdi box out for one off a cobra and cut the green wire. there are only 4 wires going to the cdi box black,blue, blue/black and green. can i just cut the wire on the cdi box i already have? if not where can i find a cobra cdi box?

thanks for any help

juice

• View Profile
Re: speeding up a people 50
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
I too own a 2001 people 50 . I bought it used but I have been told that in 2001 the people 50 was imported without restrictions other than the cdi , which restricts revs to keep you from damaging or blowing up your engine . My people will go past the 80 kph on the speedo . My gps indicates about 45 mph . I have replaced the drive belt , clutch weights , roller weights , air filter element , and the spark plug with an iridium NGK BPR8HIX (ordered through Advance Auto). I also run 93 octane premium without ethanol and amsoil Interceptor 2T oil . Make sure you are running 25-26 PSI in front and 28 PSI in the rear tire . Hope this helps , good luck .

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 03:07:10 PM »
where can i get the kit with the new belt and rollers? what would happen if i cut the green wire? at around 40 it seems like i'm letting off the gas. i can feel it stop pulling. this has to do with the belt drive? have you heard of drilling out the muffler?

thanks

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »
Im ordered my parts through Stadium Yamaha , they also sell Kymco parts and have parts diagrams on their website . I don't think drilling your exhaust is wise but you might need to take it off and clean it out . Good luck .

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 04:14:40 PM »
thanks. and i tried cutting the wire and it just cut off

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:59:35 PM »
That green wire is the ground wire for the cdi. You have a D.C. cdi on that scoot. If you contact Suitai dirrectly you can order an un-restricted factory cdi for the same cost as any other. It takes about 2 weeks to receive it. Here is the link...  http://motorcycle-components.com/
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »
Oh well , you can add that to the replacement parts list . While you wait for parts you might read up on all of the old posts on this forum for the information . Youtube also has some interesting maintenance videos for scooters . Good luck .

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 03:28:08 AM »
the unrestricted cdi helps the take off or top speed? and i saw the u tube video but my engine is different. and they just removed a washes it looked like. the engine looks like the generic ones. that's what i was talking about in my first post. and thanks for the help!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 03:32:55 AM »
The CDI will only effect top speed.  For better acceleration, you can tune the transmission.  Lighter rollers and stiffer clutch springs.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 03:42:09 AM »
..i need me another cdi...i found that the kymco branded unrestricted cdi gave me a cpl more mph top end...than what i get from my stock, chopped-off casing cdi.....scootermaven and i swapped cdi's for a few test runs....

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 04:30:34 AM »
Excuse me! What have I been saying? Oh yeah, How yous doin'....
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 04:32:07 AM »
...it's ya'll...ya'll ain't from around here are y' son?....

...cdi...need me one...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 06:00:18 AM »
Here's the link   AGAIN!  http://motorcycle-components.com/    I used to buy a cdi every 3 months or so. You can look back to my first post. Haven't bought one since. If you run custom cams or cylinder timing, Suitai will program a cdi for YOU. What's that thing about a horse to water? 

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 02:57:26 PM »
i dont see where to order one on the link. i sent them a email. so the new belt and clutch and rollers will not help the top speed that's the cdi? if so all i need is the cdi. it picks up speed really well. anyone have a cdi without a rev limit that will work for this they want to sell?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »
That link is not a "store" type set up! there is an International # you will have to call. Then you can give the vin # of your scoot, explain that you need a un- restricted cdi. It will cost around $39.00 + shipping

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()