Author Topic: Tappet adjuster tool  (Read 2456 times)

bucray

• forever young
    • View Profile
Tappet adjuster tool
« on: June 23, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »
I'm getting ready to do a valve adjustment on my GTI300, cyclepedia calls for a tappet adjustment tool #E012.  Any ideas of where I can obtain this, or, what I can use in its place.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Tappet adjuster tool
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »
If that tool is.used to turn the square headed screw on the valve adjusters......any small crescent wrench or pair of pliers, needle nose/reg pliers, will work. You loosen the nut, then turn that square headed adjuster screw to set the proper gap.

Your special tool I think, holds the nut in place and grabs the square headed screw....as one. Is one tool, but still requires two hands, I think. Loosen hex nut with small box wrench...then turn the screw that is in its center.
Don't know for sure.....never seen one.....never needed one!!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:42:59 PM »

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »
DISREGARD Stig's advice on tools to use please. Only use a 6 point socket or a 6 point box wrench. If it's a square head only use the proper open end wrench.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:35:50 PM by 2wheelfun »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 01:48:19 AM »
DISREGARD Stig's advice on tools to use please. Only use a 6 point socket or a 6 point box wrench. If it's a square head only use the proper open end wrench.
Yep, all you need is a 3/16th or 1/8th inch open end wrench and you're all set to have at that valve adjustment screw.
OR, a wire nut, or one of those fancy jam nut valve adjustment tools, or your teeth, or your right thumb and forefinger.....because once you loosen that jam nut (10mm??) with a metric box wrench----you'll find that there is very little holding that square headed screw in place.
Ordinarily.. I'd be leading the parade of Stig naysayers when it comes to mechanical stuff...but, sadly, I sorta know what I'm talking about this time....as I have been adjusting valve lash for a few decades. You need a box wrench to loosen the jam nut....then pretty much anything (clothes pin ??) to hold the screw. NO special tool needed.
Set the gap, hold the screw, tighten the jam nut. Check gap again after spinning the engine 360.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 01:58:01 AM »

the square adjuster is 3 mm. what I did is remove the end out of a robinson screw driver,  # 2 and you have a 3mm. sqare wrench that fits,  cut off the handle and bend the shank of the screw driver,  to hold it firm,.    it is a job to get the tip out,  you need the old style screw driver with a tip ,  not a one piece

bman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 02:08:57 AM »
Go to the hardware store and buy some square drive drywall screws. Cut off the tip and screw into a large wire nut.
http://www.motorcycleforums.net/forum/marauder-m50-secret-hideaway/33978-sweet-fabd-valve-adjustment-tool.html

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 09:14:10 PM »
De Dee and Bbman are on to it! I think bbman's link shows how simple this can be made.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()