Author Topic: Drive Belt Size  (Read 1758 times)

shalbern

• View Profile
Drive Belt Size
« on: June 20, 2010, 04:00:29 AM »
 ??? Hi,

Do any of you scholars out there know the actual drive belt size for my 2007 People 250.
I have seen somewhere on the web the number 894x23x28 along with some other sizes listed.
Also, are the kevlar belts they advertise really that much better than the stock belt.

Thanks in advance

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Drive Belt Size
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:03:20 AM »
..i feel your pain...i've found numerous different sizes listed for my a50...

..kevlar belts typically do not stretch like standard belts do..and provide a more solid performance...

:)

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 01:27:26 PM »
Having used both Kevlar and OEM...Kevlar underperformed in daily use...This topic was discussed completely in prior discussions...48000km and counting...3 belts...oem works best and costs less...Even on Cannonball rallies the kevlar shredded prematurely.. @$58  for OEM why bother looking at an after market belt????
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:42:28 PM by olbull »
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:52:00 AM »
Kevlar is a great material for bullet proof vests, just not much good in belts. The belts with amarid cord/fiber is better. I work in a plant where we use larger timing belts (Poly chains ) as the are refered to by Gates. In over 20 years the belts with amarid cords held up much better. I think in another post someone said they seen the kevlar belts separate. My experiance also.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 10:40:30 AM »
...hav you ever snapped a kevlar belt??

..ain't a pretty sight...

..what's left is a handful of rubber chunks (teeth) and a cvt full of fluff!!...

..must completely disassemble every component in the cvt to get the fluff out...

:-\
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:16:41 PM »
This is what my CVT looked like when my OEM belt exploded at 80 MPH:

You can see the rear and center vents were full of white fluffy "cotton".  I don't know if the Kymco brand belt is kevlar or not.

The largest piece I found inside the cover was a section with FOUR teeth.  The rubber from the belt left little rubber marks on EVERYTHING!

Look at this outside pulley on the variator.  It is in the process of being cleaned.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 06:46:30 AM »
??? Hi,

Do any of you scholars out there know the actual drive belt size for my 2007 People 250.
I have seen somewhere on the web the number 894x23x28 along with some other sizes listed.
Also, are the kevlar belts they advertise really that much better than the stock belt.

Thanks in advance

I had my service guide open and the service limit for the belt is 22mm and the normal starting range is 23.6-24.4mm.  The size shown above does not seem to match the range indicated.  I am assuming the 894 is the diamter and the 23 and 28 are the width of the belt at the narrow and wide points.  The 28 seems incompatible with this range.

Get the OEM and know you have the correct belt. You might save 20 bucks but is it worth the hassle if the vendor is wrong?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()