Author Topic: New Mongoose 90 Wont start  (Read 3576 times)

AK90Mongoose

• View Profile
New Mongoose 90 Wont start
« on: January 22, 2019, 07:27:26 PM »
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has any input. I see there is a couple threads on this issue with no real answer. MY 16 Mongoose 90 has a heck of a time starting and staying running. Spraying starting fluid in the carb sometimes works but still have to keep the quad running. Other times it will run for a couple minutes then die and wont restart. I've pulled the carb apart and cleaned, checked float levels, etc. but no luck.
Please help me out.
Thank you!

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: New Mongoose 90 Wont start
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 06:33:29 PM »
If I were you I would buy a new spark plug and keep it handy until the engine fail to start again. When it fails to start, I would remove the covers quickly, remove the spark plug wire from the engine's spark plug, and connect the spark plug wire to the new spark plug.  Then I would ground the new spark plug to the tappet cover, and press the starter button to see if there is any spark at the new spark plug.
If you can't see any spark at the plug, it means that you are experiencing an electrical problem. Electrical problems can be caused by the CDI, ignition coil, plug wire,  ignition switch, or faulty wire connections.

If you can't see a spark at the spark plug, first thing I would do is to try a new CDI to see if it makes a difference. The CDI's on Kymco scooters clearly do not last for ever. When the CDI's are dying, the results are exactly the same as your current experience.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()