Author Topic: Accessing the brake fluid reservoir and headlight of a KYMCO LIKE 200i  (Read 7822 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile

READ PRECAUTIONS FOR HANDLING BRAKE FLUID - COVER PANELS WITH RAGS - DO NOT SPILL IT!!

You look at the sight window of your brake fluid reservoir, and see the fluid level is low - like this....(with a light, look in the plastic by your brake lever at the small metal box in there)
To top off your fluid or begin a brake fluid replacement you must access the fluid reservoirs.

1) Remove the mirrors

2) Remove the turn signal stalks. let hang by wires

3) remove these panels screws on each side

4) carefully pry up the front and squeeze down the rear half, to unsnap the clips, along the panel joint line to separate the 2 halves of the head stock

5) a screw on each side holds the headlight half of the panel - remove to uncover the reservoirs...

6) now you can open the brake fluid reservoirs. Use correct size screwdriver - do NOT strip the screw heads.

Do not let fluid level uncover the bottom drain hole!
Remove some of the old fluid and/or top up to fill line visible on reservoir side with DOT4 from a new bottle.

Or, begin your fluid replacement at the calipers ….see some youtubes  for this. I use a mighty vac.

Stig

Just a note. if you are doing a rear brake pad replacement on a LIKE200i , it is not necessary to remove the muffler. There IS room behind the muffler to loosen the caliper mounting bolts enough to remove the caliper. Apply some blue thread-lock when tightening.

HEADLIGHT bulb is behind the rubber cover. Remove rubber cover, unclip the bulb and replace

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:32:27 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Great documentation.
Become the best you can with what you have.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Yes, Stig does QUALITY documentation with GREAT pictures! He will be the first choice for getting volunteered redoing Kymco service manuals! Just think how nice it would be to have his procedures for every model panel removal!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
nice write up, Stig! Do we blame Vespa for being the originators of hiding the brake fluid reservoir(s) behind the front cover?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
nice write up, Stig! Do we blame Vespa for being the originators of hiding the brake fluid reservoir(s) behind the front cover?
Yeah, I sure wouldn't have objected to a couple plastic caps in the panel over the reservoirs!
I think I have seen that on some scooter.
Biggest pain for me is getting the mirrors  re-seated again with thread lock.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Accessing the brake fluid reservoir and headlight of a KYMCO LIKE 200i
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 05:17:58 PM »
Stig, thanks again.
Yesterday was rear brake, bearing and new tyre day.
Just was to lazy to do brake fluid renewal too.
So did it today. To remove windshield and handlebar covers is way more time consuming than the real job. Like Stig several times already wrote, cover it all, l splashed for sure some brake fluid, even its only a little bit during pumping by handles.
The other thing l saw are this small plastic eyelets which hold the covers in place, be sure and gentle to unhook and placing them again rightly.
Thanks again to all contributors who give such valuable hints.
Greetings from Italy, Ruffus
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()