Author Topic: Installed lighted Bestem top case on Kymco LIKE - top box  (Read 6121 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Installed lighted Bestem top case on Kymco LIKE - top box
« on: April 20, 2014, 02:30:42 AM »
I'm lousy at most electrical things and the tail lights on a LIKE are a puzzle box to me....and this top box comes with no instructions.

OK, first off -- my apologies to KYMCO - they did not design a stupidly complicated tail light assembly as I fist thought.
2 bolts and 2 screws and 2 pop plugs and I was laying on my back staring happily at a bunch of wires and bulb holders!
Using the wiring diagram  in the cyclepedia LIKE manual and some parts from the old stock top case....in a zillion short hours I had some lights that almost worked correctly. I went to Easter Evening church and came home and tried again - and -(yes) Bob's-Your-Uncle !    I had all the lights working as advertised!
(I had cut the scoot's running light wire by mistake - trust me - I am not that good at sorting out electrical probs - plus it was a very good sermon)

I am one of those scooter riders who worry almost more about what's coming at me from behind - than in front.
The LIKE has a BIG tail light (one of the things I liked about it when I was shopping scoots) - but I wanted more light back there. This Bestem is too big for me - but it has the lights I wanted.
 VERY bright LEDs in this thing - the ring of running lights is bright - and the top brake light AND that ring of lights gets even brighter w/the brakes!

here is the wiring code for putting this on a LIKE 200i.
BOX wires                                                                             SCOOTER  wires
Blue & Black to                        to                             Green /Ground
Red & Brown                           to                             Green w/Yellow stripe for Brake Light
Green                                      to                             Brown for running tail light                                       

This combination will add (to the stock lights) a ring of LED running lights whenever the scooter key is on, and,
when you pull the brake levers a top/center brake light comes on - plus the ring of lights gets brighter, too! (= a LOT of brake lighting!)
I'll feel some better going to work in the dark every day, and commuting in the rain,  with this lighting, and If I could do this.....a chimp can do it.
Worked fine for me at 5000 miles and 13 months.
Stig

wires routed from tail light assembly through body to the case
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:32:18 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: Put Bestem on LIKE
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 04:27:02 AM »
Nice Job, Stig. Does that box have a quick release or is that an option one must buy?

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 06:23:23 AM »
Can't really see what you're talking about.  More pictures please.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 05:39:16 PM »
Can't really see what you're talking about.  More pictures please.

Will post the DIY & pix on the Tech/How To section.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:04:11 PM »
Nice Job, Stig. Does that box have a quick release or is that an option one must buy?
Hello TroutB...
Yes, this has a quick release under the locked latch as standard.
One would need to facilitate this by putting male/female connectors between scoot and the Bestem.
Bestem sells a wiring kit to do this - but a couple of connectors from radio shack would probably be cheaper, and better.
I have 2 issues with this case on my LIKE : it is too big - (but was the only one I could find for the $$ with lights) , and I do not like the idea that it is being held to my scooter by 2 pegs on the front of the metal base slotting into plastic slots on the bottom of the case, while the rear is plastic snugged down to the base by a quick release plastic handle. I can imagine no instance where I would want to take this off and walk around with it. And I do not like the slight movement I feel between the case and the metal base. I think I'm going to use the 4 bolts used on the Kymco case and some fender washers and bolt this X 4 through the base plate and into the 4 holes on the LIKE's rear rack.
I do not want this case to bounce off on rough roads.
They apparently DO make a cloth carrying case ( by Givi?) with shoulder straps for this thing -
Stig
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:10:14 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Momma bear

• View Profile
Put Bestem on LIKE
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 02:09:17 AM »
Saw the insert cloth case for this and it looks nice but not sure it's worth it.
People300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Installed lighted Bestem top case on Kymco LIKE - top box
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 04:20:36 PM »
Yes it has a quick release IF you use the quick release wire harness/socket. I did not - nothing quick release about my top case!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 03:08:52 PM »
Have you still got it Stig? If so that's a good long life for a top box!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 06:14:11 PM »
Have you still got it Stig? If so that's a good long life for a top box!
Just checked the garage.
Yep it's still there!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()