Author Topic: Strange noise on a de-restricted '07 people 50 2t  (Read 9340 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: Strange noise on a de-restricted '07 people 50 2t
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »
I am pretty challenged when it comes to electrical too.  My 1st scooter didn't have a spark so I read the forum, got a cheap $20 multimeter at WalMart, and started testing the wiring.  Long story short, I concluded you need a fairly expensive multimeter to do the testing, probably several $100's.  Basically, my multimeter told me everything was bad, except for the coil.  After that experience, I still don't know very much about electrical.

The battery was dead (don't need a tester to figure that one out), but the advice said it should run without battery.  I finally bought a new battery and everything started working, amazing.  Your problem is probably very simple, like a corroded connection.  May just need to unplug a connection and plug it back, I don't know.  I guess if you know how to use a tester, you could zero in on the bad connection, but I am like you I guess, not that easy IMO.  Good luck, if you keep at it, you will get it fixed eventually.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 10:42:03 PM »
OK Karl and Chaz,
  We're getting somewhere. I don't know where or how to interpret it, but this thing just went from strange to deeply weird. I connected cheapazz multi-meter to the battery and set up  my phone with remote button to trip the shutter. ( I knew I didn't have enough hands before I started ) The scooter is on the porch with the front wheel against the wall and both wheels on the ground. After letting it warm up, the first pic is volts at idle. the second is revving it enough to hear the noise, then on the third I just touch the rear brake. Now remember, the wheel isn't turning and I'd have to pull the lever another 1/2 inch to start moving the brake shoes.

Please tell me you know what could cause it or what to look for now.
Looking back, when I said I wanted to be somebody, I should have been a lot more specific.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 12:50:42 AM »
The meter is fine, just whatcha need. Idle volts are fine, justwhat I would expect. Second picture shows over 17 volts, WAY too high. The last pic shows a normal voltage, IMO. That would speak to me (YELL to me!) that your problem is definitely caused by over voltage. Now is there a voltage regulator in there somewhere?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »
I have no clue.  That would be very cool if just need to replace regulator?

I am curious about your BBK, what brand?  How did the OEM cylinder/ piston look?  What carb you running, still using OEM carb?
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »
Just had another thing occur to me: when all is normal does your headlight come on? Does it turn on or do you have to operate a switch to make it illuminate?

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 04:47:25 PM »
Just had another thing occur to me: when all is normal does your headlight come on? Does it turn on or do you have to operate a switch to make it illuminate?

Karl

The headlight come on when it starts. From what I read in the manual, I think all alternator models are that way. I can't turn off the headlight.
Looking back, when I said I wanted to be somebody, I should have been a lot more specific.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 05:33:26 PM »
I thought all motorcycles and scoots were that way, just wanted to be sure. The next question is does the headlight work directly off the alternator?

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2016, 06:14:24 PM »
I have no clue.  That would be very cool if just need to replace regulator?

I am curious about your BBK, what brand?  How did the OEM cylinder/ piston look?  What carb you running, still using OEM carb?

According to the manual, I do have a faulty regulator. I have a replacement on order now.
As for the BBK, I ordered a Hoca kit. I'm using the stock carb and exhaust, although I had to rejet the carb. I haven't got it right yet because of the problem I'm having with the (hopefully) the regulator.

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2016, 06:18:14 PM »
I thought all motorcycles and scoots were that way, just wanted to be sure. The next question is does the headlight work directly off the alternator?

Karl

Seeing how I can't burn the headlight without the engine running, I'd say yes. Not all are that way. All of the Harley's I've done pulled headlight power from the battery.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 07:42:14 PM »
I kinda thought the headlight ran directly off the alternator as do most of the smaller bikes. My DT300i headlight does run off the battery like the Harley. I am concluding that since the brake light pulls the voltage into the proper range that the regulator is the bad guy. You probably used the resistance checks from the service manual to determine the regulator was the cause. You are rapidly becoming the man to see on this type of problem!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 07:45:31 PM »
I kinda thought the headlight ran directly off the alternator as do most of the smaller bikes. My DT300i headlight does run off the battery like the Harley. I am concluding that since the brake light pulls the voltage into the proper range that the regulator is the bad guy. You probably used the resistance checks from the service manual to determine the regulator was the cause. You are rapidly becoming the man to see on this type of problem!

Karl

Yeah, lol.  I've learned a hell of a lot more than I ever wanted to.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 09:32:49 PM »
I am running Malossi BBK, stock carb, and Tecnigas NextR pipe.  Be careful, I don't know about Hoca kit, but my Malossi kit runs really hot with stock carb, even with very large main jet.  I recommend CHT gauge to monitor.  I use trail tech tto temperature gauge like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/361486885849?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Good luck, looks like you are getting close to fixing it!  Cheers

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2016, 11:54:01 PM »
  I recommend CHT gauge to monitor.  I use trail tech tto temperature gauge like this one

Good luck, looks like you are getting close to fixing it!  Cheers

I have a small IR thermometer. I can pull the spark plug boot and get the head temp. No problems as of yet, but that's going to change when I get the high flow air cleaner and finish jetting it.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »
When is the regulator supposed to be in? I'm just eaten up with anticipation on this!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »
When is the regulator supposed to be in? I'm just eaten up with anticipation on this!

Karl

I think you're as excited as I am. It's supposed to be here on the 8th. Don't worry, if it fixes my problem and I'm done hoopin 'n hollerin, I'll be here to post it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()