Author Topic: 2007 People S 50cc 4T speed  (Read 4370 times)

roadcruiser

• View Profile
2007 People S 50cc 4T speed
« on: March 27, 2010, 11:52:45 PM »
My 4 stroke is too slow. Am at 6200 feet. Scoot runs out about 35MPH on level. Used to be no problem cause speed limit was 30MPH here in Colorado. Legislature finally wised up and changed the limit to 40MPH, although insurance is now mandatory, which is not necessarily bad. Now scoot cannot make the limit.
Am considering a Malossi Multivar Variator. What speed could I expect with that and a new belt (mine measures 17mm). Belt is currently going to top of variator (wipes out magic marker line). Really need 45MPH but am not interested in increasing displacement. All I have done is replace CDI and coil and install Iriduim plug. Engine runs great but seems to be running slow at WOT. Sounds like about 4K

axy

• View Profile
Re: 2007 People S 50cc 4T speed
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »
My 4 stroke is too slow. Am at 6200 feet. Scoot runs out about 35MPH on level. Used to be no problem cause speed limit was 30MPH here in Colorado. Legislature finally wised up and changed the limit to 40MPH, although insurance is now mandatory, which is not necessarily bad. Now scoot cannot make the limit.
Am considering a Malossi Multivar Variator. What speed could I expect with that and a new belt (mine measures 17mm). Belt is currently going to top of variator (wipes out magic marker line). Really need 45MPH but am not interested in increasing displacement. All I have done is replace CDI and coil and install Iriduim plug. Engine runs great but seems to be running slow at WOT. Sounds like about 4K

From my modest experience, your altitude asks for some serious carb rejetting first.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
Is the new cdi a de-restricted version? and have you had the variator de-restricted? With both of those done your scoot will hit the 45mph mark. Your worn belt is will rob a couple mph. There is a bushing (part# 22150) that can be removed from your stock multivar. That alone will get you to the 40mph mark. If you post up a pict, or at least the wire colors of the cdi, it will help to figure how to de-restrict that also
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

roadcruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:01:24 PM »
Yes, The variator was derestricted when I got the scoot. I tried to surgically derestric the OEM CDI but never did see the green wire and did not want to go deep enough to kill it. Finally found a DC CDI that was guaranteed to not be restricted. Because the belt is going all the way up the variator, I need more RPM or a larger variator (if there is such a thing).I am thinking of trying a 743X20X30 belt instead of the 743X18X30 and see if it blows or goes. I'm just tired of getting the bird and honked at and want to be able to maintain 40MPH. Our new law that ups to 40MPH also---
Imposes the following penalties for exceeding 40 miles per hour:
1-4 miles per hour over is                     $56 and 0 points;
5-9 miles per hour over is                     $85 and 2 points;
More than 9 miles per hour over is       $116 and 4 points.
In theory, I could be on a 45MPH street, keeping up with traffic, and get a ticket for exceeding 40MPH. Kinda dumb, huh but I ain't risking $85 and 2 points off my auto drivers license.

2006 Tank 150 Touring DE (150cc) 4T
2007 Fly IL Bello (150cc) 4T
2007 KYMCO People S 50 (50cc) 4T
2005 Roketa Bahama 50 (50cc) 4T
2003 RIO, 40 engine, (50cc) 2T
2005 TNG Venice QS-50QT-5 (2ea) (50cc) 2T
Geely chain drives, 41 engine (2 ea) (50cc) 2T

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »
Word slinger is real good w/ his 4t, and if you read thru some of the older posts you can see what it took to get his to the 50mph mark. I am thinking your compression may be low. The de-restrictions alone should have gotten you to the 45 mark. The belt as I said will lose a few mph, and changing length will only slow you down. There are overrange var's., and torque drivers that will adapt but they will require some minor grinding of the engine case (in most applications). Your scoot has other issues that are keeping it down. Try a compression test, adjust the valves, relpace the belt (w/ the stock size) and you should see a gain. Rollers/sliders, and clutch springs will alter the power curve to run the way you want from there. An open type air filter , and re-jet will give you somemore cheap power.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 09:57:46 PM »
Word slinger is real good w/ his 4t, and if you read thru some of the older posts you can see what it took to get his to the 50mph mark. I am thinking your compression may be low. The de-restrictions alone should have gotten you to the 45 mark.

Take a look at his altitude. His compression is probably OK, he needs completely different jetting than stock. The air is much thinner.

When I had 750 cc Kawasaki, a lot of guys around the world one one of the forums re-jetted the carbs and on dyno we had readings from 80 to 95 hp with the same setting, depending on the altitude!

The best results had guys on sea-level, those in the mountains were screwed...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 10:03:58 PM »
I think you are right on the money there. It's one of those things that you really can't do too much for either. I think a "good as it can get" overhaul may bring a little more life into it tho.

roadcruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 05:06:57 PM »
You are right on AXY. Lack of atmospheric pressure is my basic problem. Cannot even get a logical compression test. I still have a car with a carburetor and a manifold pressure gauge and am lucky to draw 17 inches here. Take it to the flatland and draws 23. Main was a 78 and I put in an 85. I think I have a 105 laying around somewhere. Anyone recommend a size for 6200 feet? Thanks

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »
Wordslinger has come up w/ a simple system of using the forced air inside the cooling shroud to re route to the intake. Check out his posts. This may be an idea that will eliminate your trouble.  http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=1856.msg12070#msg12070  The Idea is very simple, and the effect is obvious. More air/fuel in=more power out. I bet w/ all new bits from the hardware store it can be done for under $20.00.   Just a thought...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »
Oh yeah, to answer the jet ?. You can go up in jets, but I believe you will wind up running tooo rich, as the density of the air will not change. I believe a smaller jet will lean the mix to a point where it can burn properly, in turn giving a little more pep in your step. That will be trouble tho if you run at lower elevations. That is why I posted the air induction idea. That set up can run at hi or low elev.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 04:00:47 PM »
Oh yeah, to answer the jet ?. You can go up in jets, but I believe you will wind up running tooo rich, as the density of the air will not change. I believe a smaller jet will lean the mix to a point where it can burn properly, in turn giving a little more pep in your step. That will be trouble tho if you run at lower elevations. That is why I posted the air induction idea. That set up can run at hi or low elev.

..part of the reason i wanted to try it was due to the fact that my scoot is very sensitive to temperature variations..(or maybe it's me)..

..last fall i had a devil of a time trying to jet my carb when it was 35 degrees in th morning and 75 in the afternoon..

..id be running lean in the morning just to keep from falling on my face with a rich condition on th way home...

..it's kinda similar to this situation..but at any rate, the blown air has eliminated my temp change troubles that had resurfaced again as the weather turned warm in the days, with still near freezing temps at night...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()